IT was a tough match for Littlehampton Town as they lost 3-0 in the FA Vase Final against Newport Pagnell Town.

The first half was one of few clear cut chances as both teams struggled to get a solid grip on the game in front of around 15,000 fans.

Despite that, Newport Pagnell seemed that bit more dangerous than Littlehampton Town when driving forward. Mo Ahmed in midfield was at the centre of a lot of their best work.

The first goal would come 18 minutes in as a corner was headed clear. Kieran Barnes for Newport Pagnell struck it sweetly on the half volley and the looping shot from around 25 yards out sailed into the top right hand corner past James Binfield in goal.

The Argus: Kieran Barnes with a fantastic half volleyKieran Barnes with a fantastic half volley

There were a couple more chances in the first half for both sides, with both keepers making some smart saves.

Joint manager and striker George Gaskin came out worse in an accidental collision with Mo Ahmed which led to play being stopped for about five minutes.

Gaskin, who scored two in the semi-final, looked to be knocked out and had to be stretchered off and taken to hospital. Thankfully, Hand said he was breathing when he left the stadium and they are waiting to see the extent of his injuries.

Aaron Capon replaced Gaskin, but the injury seemed to take the sting out of the rest of the first half with nine additional minutes added on.

The Argus: George Gaskin was taken off with a head injuryGeorge Gaskin was taken off with a head injury

The Marigolds came out with intent in the second half. Both sides created some of their best chances with set pieces. James Binfield tipped a powerful header over 50 minutes in to keep Littlehampton in the game.

But the Buckinghamshire side would still double their lead 54 minutes in. A loose touch from Dion Jarvis allowed Newport in, the ball bounced around in the area before falling to midfielder Ben Shepherd who slotted home to make it 2-0.

Littlehampton brought on some fresh legs in Zac Harris and Dave Herbert for Jordan Layton and Liam Humphreys.

The Argus: Ben Shepherd makes it 2-0 in the second halfBen Shepherd makes it 2-0 in the second half

The game was end-to-end with both sides creating some half chances

Ben Shepherd went close with a long range curling effort before Littlehampton went up the other end with a nice ball in from Aaron Capon. The ball fell to the feet of Joe Benn who smashed the post.

There were appeals for a Littlehampton penalty which referee Samuel Barrott waved away.

The Argus: Mo Ahmed takes on Jordan Layton Mo Ahmed takes on Jordan Layton

Newport Pagnell would go up on the counter and win a penalty for themselves through Jake Watkinson who was brought down by Lewis Jenkins.

The striker was taken down by Lewis Jenkins in the penalty area and the resulting penalty was converted by Ben Shepherd for his second of the game to make it 3-0.

The Argus: Newport Pagnell celebrate their winNewport Pagnell celebrate their win

The Marigolds applied some pressure late on but Newport defended their lead well.

Newport came out victors but Littlehampton Town can be proud of themselves after a remarkable season which has seen them promoted to the Isthmian South, win the Peter Bentley Cup, an FA Vase Final, as well as another final on Wednesday.