Skipper Wes Fogden praised the professionalism of his team-mates as they put the uncertainty over their own futures to one side to maintain Albion's 100 per cent record in the Sussex Senior Cup final.

Scott Chamberlain's long-range strike a minute before half-time was enough to give the Seagulls their eighth victory in the competition from eight final appearances.

Two thirds of the 15-man squad - including Fogden and Chamberlain - will find out whether their Albion careers are over today when they meet manager Dean Wilkins for contract talks.

Fogden accepts the majority of the side will probably be looking for new clubs after today but was delighted they went out with their heads held high by retaining the trophy they won 12 months ago.

He said: "We wanted to win and end the season on a good note. Not everyone is going to be here next year so we played for each other and got the right result.

"Today is a big day for a majority of the team but the players did well to put it to the back of their mind and just concentrate on the job.

"I thought the team pulled together really well considering the circumstances. I got man-of-the-match but I thought everyone dug in and played well.

"It was a funny atmosphere in the changing rooms afterwards. Obviously you love to win but once the game was over everybody's thoughts turned to what is going to happen today."

Of the ten out-of-contract players in the Albion side only Fogden really caught the eye as the Seagulls struggled to find any inspiration in front of a disappointing crowd.

It could have been different if Joe Gatting's clever lob over Crawley keeper Ashley Bayes after only 17 minutes had found the net but instead the ball somehow bounced over the bar with the Albion striker and the majority of the Seagulls fans already celebrating.

A goal then might have sparked a terrible first half into life but instead we had to wait until the 44th minute for Chamberlain to provide a moment of quality.

He played a one-two with Shane McFaul before beating an opponent and unleashing a spectacular strike from 25-yards which flew into the top corner.

Apart from a Jamie Cook header which was well saved by John Sullivan, Crawley had shown nothing in the first half but they came out a different team after the break as they chased an equaliser.

They would have got one with a little more composure in front of goal but Glenn Wilson twice shot wide from close range when he should have done better and Dannie Bulman strangely opted to cross instead of shoot into an unguarded net after beating the onrushing Albion keeper John Sullivan to the ball outside the area and the chance disappeared.

The Seagulls also survived a strong appeal for a penalty when Andy Pearson sent Tyrone Thompson tumbling on the edge of the box only for the referee to give a free-kick and were hanging on to their lead at the end.

Crawley assistant boss Paul Raynor said: "A few of the boys seemed to think they were already on their holidays in the first half but we really gave it a go in the second half and I was proud of their efforts.

"We created three or four good opportunities but unfortunately we couldn't take them which was disappointing because I thought we deserved to at least force extra time.

"It was a pity we didn't start the game the way we finished it as we would probably have won but Albion are a good side and if we play like that next season we will be a force to be reckoned with."

Albion Reserves: Sullivan, Fogden, Rents, Reid, Pearson, Cobbs, Martot (Skinner 90), McFaul, Gatting, Dixon (Gargan 46), Chamberlain. Subs not used: Beda, Louis, Winterton.

Crawley: Bayes, Wilson, Thomas, Murphy, Stevens (Watson 78), Hall, Bulman, Pinault, Carayol (Pittman 69), Thompson, Cook. Subs not used: Blackburn, Carter, Nayee.

Referee: Carl Brook (St Leonards).

Attendance: 685.

Man-of-the-match: Wes Fogden.