When lowly Albion clung on for a win away to mighty Nottingham Forest back in 1979, the Evening Argus declared: Miracles can still happen.

When the film was made about Forest’s heyday under Brian Clough, it was entitled: I believe in miracles.

Albion’s first top-flight win by the Trent since that goal by Gerry Ryan and penalty save by Graham Moseley wasn’t quite in miraculous territory.

But they certainly overcame a lot of adversity to hand Forest their first home league defeat in nine matches (including last season).

And that explained the outpouring of pent-up joy and emotion which accompanied the final whistle on Saturday.

Their unlikely combination of ten players defending a precious 3-2 lead – and first league win in seven – were camped in and around the Trent End penalty area at the time.

They spotted their head coach had made his way in jubilation towards away fans at the far end and set off after him – at speed.

The scenes which followed were on par with that which came after the late Leo Ulloa goal to secure a Championship play-off spot at the same ground almost ten years ago.

And, while Forest fans jeered and one local reporter I spoke to felt those celebrations were out of order, Albion made no apology for that reaction.

“I think you saw at the end - how we were celebrating says it all,” said defender Joel Veltman, who switched to centre-back after Dunk was sent off.

“The win was so welcome and how we did it as well, with fighting spirit. It was nice.

“Probably Forest thought, ‘What are they doing?’.

“Lewis went off, ten men, Ansu went off, Tariq went off.

“If you see our bench, I think the average age was 20, something like that. The relief that was there when the referee blew his whistle was next level.”

Albion, already missing Kaoru Mitoma, James Milner, Adam Webster and Igor along with longer-term absentees Solly March, Danny Welbeck and Julio Enciso as well as suspended Mahmoud Dahoud, saw Ansu Fati and Tariq Lamptey go off in the first half.

The bench included four youngsters, a midfielder who had not played for almost 20 months and a striker who was only due to play half the game after a trip to Brazil over the last fortnight.

Then Lewis Dunk was sent off for a moment of madness which did not cost dear this time but could hurt them when he serves his ban.

They conceded a goal in three minutes, Anthony Elanga heading home at the far post as defenders were attracted to Chris Wood, but came back to lead by the break and extend that in the second half.

Notably – but it will probably be lost in the reports and fall-out – they reduced the renowned City Ground to eerie silence for much of the contest.

Home supporters only really came into the game after Morgan Gibbs-White converted from the spot.

The way Albion stood up to that test, as balls bounced and flew around their penalty area, can also stand them in good stead for more battles to come.

But don’t lose sight of the slickness of their football – or indeed the finishes with which Evan Ferguson guided his equaliser inside the post and Joao Pedro buried a classic, downward header on the run.

Wood, such a thorn in his old team’s side down the years, pulled back Joao Pedro for the Brazilian to tuck away what proved to be the winner from the penalty spot.

Then came that bewildering passage of play which saw Jack Hinshelwood bear down on goal looking to make it 4-1 - and ended up with the score 3-2 and Albion down to ten.

They protected with guts, organisation and endeavour what they had established with quality.

Jan Paul van Hecke got his head on almost everything, Bart Verbruggen produced a fine save to parry a Ryan Yates header and ten minutes of stoppage time were seen through.

Then it was a race to the away end.

Nottingham Forest: Vlachodimos; Toffolo, Murillo, Niakhate, Aina (Williams 90); Mangala, Dominguez (Yates 69); Danilo (Hudson-Odoi 62), Gibbs-White, Elanga; Wood (Origi 63). Subs: Turner, Kouyate, Aurier, Montiel, Boly.

Goals: Elanga 3, Gibbs-White pen 76.

Yellow card: Toffolo 54, Niakhate 74.

Albion: Verbruggen; Veltman, van Hecke, Dunk, Lamptey (Hinshewood 35); Gross, Gilmour (Baleba 77); Adingra, Lallana (Buonanotte 46), Ansu Fati (Joao Pedro 21); Ferguson (Moder 77). Subs: Steele, Jackson, Duffus, Baker-Boaitey.

Goals: Ferguson 26, Joao Pedro 45+4, pen 58.

Yellow card: Adingra 65, Dunk 72, Ferguson 74, Buonanotte 90+4.

Red card: Dunk 72.

Referee: Anthony Taylor