A last gasp penalty helped Worthing to an important win as Raiders edged out an eight try thriller.

Thomas Derrick’s 80th minute winner broke the deadlock in the final seconds of the game after fighting Westcombe Park to a stalemate in Roundstone Lane.

The win provides Raiders with vital points in their first win of the new year as they continue to battle in the bottom half of the league.

Worthing opened the scoring with a catch and drive having held Westcombe in their own territory for much of the game, writes Henry Parish. Hooker William Gearing-Grief dotted down for the try.

Raiders bested Westcombe from the off with the host’s pack powering on at the scrum.

Set piece dominance game Worthing a platform to attack and full back Thomas Bowen started and finished a back’s move to increase the lead.

The Argus: Harrison Sims breaks a tackleHarrison Sims breaks a tackle (Image: Warwick Baker)

Westcombe fought back into the match and opened their account on the stroke of half time when Nicholas Cook’s incisive run from the base of a scrum led Taine Wagstaff to touch down for his third try of the season.

Combe steamrolled their way into the second half and tied the game with a Matthew Harrison score early on.

A high tackle by Raiders’ Joe Knight left the hosts one man down and Westcombe capitalised with prop Elliot Roofe steamrolling over for a score.

Worthing fought from behind and, having shuffled into the second row from tight head, Ben Featherstone latched onto the ball from a cross field move to dot down from short range.

With the game tied once again the pace did not relent as Thomas Bowen’s supreme last-ditch tackle could not stop Westcombe scoring under the post.

With momentum heading in the visitor’s favour, fullback Bowen darted over in the corner to put the game within touching distance. Centre Thomas Derrick struck the ball from right on the touchline to once again level the match with minutes to spare.

The Argus: Caleb Ashworth dots down for the final scoreCaleb Ashworth dots down for the final score (Image: Warwick Baker)

As the game looked to be heading for a draw Worthing were awarded a penalty after Westcombe capitulated in the last scrum of the match.

Derrick slotted it home to break the deadlock and cap off a tough fought match for the Raiders.

Worthing will celebrate their first win of the new year as they tussle with Wimbledon at the bottom of the league.

They now hope to take their winning ways into next week when they host Guernsey who are just a place above them in National League Two East.