CRAWLEY TOWN are keeping their ambitions under wraps despite moving within two points of a play-off spot at the weekend.

Reds beat Lincoln, who occupy the last play-off position, to rocket into ninth.

The victory gives Harry Kewell’s side a realistic shot at promotion to League One with 12 games remaining.

It is also a club record five consecutive home wins in their seven-year Football League history.

They showed grit and determination to push past the Imps, who gave Crawley a run for their money when they pulled it back to 1-1 in the second half.

Captain Jimmy Smith gave Reds the lead in the 15th minute by finishing off a Lewis Young piledriver.

The right-back gallivanted into the visitors’ half and rattled the crossbar with an effort from range, and the ball fell kindly into Smith’s path for him to tap it in.

Young, who only opened his Crawley account earlier this month after four years at the club, admitted they have a target but did not want to share it.

Glenn Morris recently told The Argus they can “dream big” once they hit 50 points.

Since Saturday’s win edged them past that tally, it was put to Young what their aim is now they have done so.

The 28-year-old told The Argus with a cheeky grin on his face: “After being here for three or four years, we always make sure we get to 50 points then take it game by game.

“[It has been] safety for the last few years. We had our targets which management set.

“They are going to stay in house.”

Young played a crucial part in the hard-earned win which leaves Crawley two points behind their opponents.

Imps manager Danny Cowley was sent to the stands for a half-time tunnel bust-up with Reds players, but his team came out fighting in the second period.

They drew level after 52 minutes, and striker Matt Green hit double figures for the season when he pounced on Mark Connolly’s mistake to beat Glenn Morris.

Lincoln looked increasingly likely to score, with winger Tom Pett coming close on two occasions.

But Crawley dug deep and Jordan Roberts, in his second appearance back from an injury lay-off, played a vital part in them winning a penalty which tilted the game.

He flicked a Morris punt through to Smith who crossed for Boldewijn, with the Dutchman dragged down in the box.

Josh Payne buried the ball in the 67th minute to extinguish Lincoln’s chances of taking all three points.

The visitors’ batteries died after the penalty, and Crawley took control from that point.

Mark Connolly sealed the win five minutes later from a perfectlyplaced Roberts free-kick.

Roberts flashed the ball across the face of the goal from the right, and centre-back Connolly popped up with a volley to secure victory.

“We feel like we can stand up to most teams regardless of who we come up against,” said Young.

His boss gave slightly more away in terms of ambition, though, but Kewell’s hopes do not appear likely this year.

He said: “A table’s a table. I only look at No.1. We’re fighting to get to that top spot.

“There’s no harm in keeping things to yourself. We are in a comfortable position, where I want to be.”

Reds face a trip to Forest Green Rovers on Saturday, a team with whom they drew 1-1 at home.