Whitehawk’s relegation worries deepened last night as an old favourite came back to haunt them.

Jake Robinson scored a pair of late goals against his former club to rub salt into what were already gaping wounds on a stormy night at the Enclosed Ground.

Hawks had centre-back Ramon Marimon and boss Andy Woodman sent off as they sank to a defeat far heavier than they probably deserved.

They also managed to concede a 50-yard goal to visiting full-back Callum Driver.

A fine finish by Josh Passley got them back to 2-1 going into the last 16 minutes with ten men but ex-Hawks favourite Robinson then went clear for his late brace.

It all got rather nasty at the end and there was a confrontation in the tunnel after the game.

Woodman remained in the changing rooms for some time afterwards.

The defeat removed any feelgood factor from Saturday’s 2-0 success at Margate though there was no shortage of endeavour or spirit from the home side.

They also played some good stuff in the first half but failed to make the most of a series of set-pieces in dangerous situations.

Hawks trailed from only the fourth minute to a Charlie Sheringham header but responded positively.

Their efforts to get back on terms were not helped by a straight red card to Marimon, one of their three centre-backs in a wing-back system, in the 38th minute after he went through the back of Robinson.

It was a poor challenge but a booking looked the most likely outcome – until referee Aji Ajibola produced red.

Home anger increased when Danny Mills went down a minute later just inside the box and penalty appeals were waved away – although that looked possibly the right decision.

Ibby Akanbu went closest to levelling when he curled a free-kick just over the bar.

Hawks continued to give it a go after the break but were undone in bizarre style.

Goalkeeper Lucas Covolan came a long way out of his area to head clear but could only find Driver, who sent the ball back past him from halfway.

Woodman was sent from the dugout before play could restart.

Mike West made an immediate impact as sub for the hosts with a superb crossfield ball which the lively Passley ran on to before sliding a cool finish past Jamie Butler.

Chris M’Boungou headed just wide from a Dan Harding free-kick and a remarkable comeback seemed possible.

But another Harding free-kick, this time overhit, led indirectly to Hemel’s killer third goal on 80 minutes. Butler caught it, punted it straight back down the pitch and Robinson got there before the hesitant Covolan to take the ball around the keeper far too easily and score into an empty net.

Hawks were convinced there was more than a hint of offside when Robinson went clear to again round the Brazilian stopper and slot in the fourth on 84 minutes.

There was quite a love-in between the ex-Albion striker and home fans at the end which was in dramatic contrast to the angry shouting coming down the players' tunnel a few yards away.

Whitehawek's faithful still fondly remember how the striker from Denton helped fire them to play-off and FA Cup excitement in the not too distant past.

It is all about a dour battle to stay up this time – and events last night will not help the cause.

* Although Woodman did not appear for interviews straight after the
game, Hawks announced via their official Twitter account that they
would be "reviewing all footage of the match and conducting an enquiry

Whitehawk: Covolan; M’Boungou, Marimon, Harding; Passley, Southam, Torres, Favarel (Howlett-Mundle 46), Osborn; Akanbi (West 71), Mills (Hyde 88). Subs not used: Hobbs, Shepherd.

Hemel Hempstead: Butler, Driver, Kaloczi, Diagne, Greenidge (Jackson 82); McNamara (Greenhalgh 65), Saunders, Parkes, Mendy; Robinson, Sheringham (Spring 82). Subs not used: Henly, Singh.

Referee: Aji Ajibola.

Attendance: 154.