Andy Woodman has revealed why he saw red on a stormy night at Whitehawk.

Now the Hawks boss has urged his side to tighten up at the back and end four months of home woe.

Woodman said a rival tried to get one of his players sent off in the 4-1 home defeat by Hemel Hempstead on Tuesday.

He has come to the defence of his centre-back Ramon Marimon, who was sent off, and Lucas Covolan, whose attempt to play as a sweeper-keeper for the ten men back-fired.

Woodman has played down any suggestion of a flashpoint in the players’ tunnel after the game.

And he has urged his side to keep a clean sheet against Welling United tomorrow as they bid to end a run of four months and 12 games without a home win.

Woodman was sent off by referee Aji Ajibola just after Hemel scored their second goal.

The home side were down to ten men by then after Marimon was dismissed for a 38th-minute foul on ex-Albion and Hawks forward Jake Robinson.

Woodman said a member of the Hemel management and coaching team called for the impressive Josh Passley to be sent off just before the second goal.

He told The Argus: “Josh was fouled all night and on this occasion he was fouled and the free-kick went to Hemel.

“One of their management team was screaming for him to be sent off. I couldn’t get my head around that.

“It was a bit disappointing. I felt he needed to realise that wasn’t right.”

From the main stand, it was not clear exactly what had gone in the technical areas. The Hawks boss waited for a member of the Hemel staff at the tunnel after the game and made his point.

A commotion could be heard as various people rushed to the scene.

Woodman said: “I don’t recall anything going on in the tunnel. One or two of their players were stoking it up a bit but we were in our room.

“Ramon was apologetic about his red card but I didn’t think he needed to be. I don’t think it was a red.

“He was a bit enthusiastic in his challenge and their boy Robinson made a meal of it. I didn’t think it was a bad challenge. He (Robinson) got straight back on his feet. I’m not sure what the club are doing regarding any appeal but, if Ramon misses games, it gives someone else a chance.”

Having conceded early and gone down to ten, Hawks’ cause was further hindered when Covolan was beaten from 50 yards after coming out of his box to head clear.

That was the last action Woodman saw, although Covolan was twice rounded by Robinson late on before making a good save from a header.

Woodman said: “We had a go but it was always going to be hard with ten men.

“I wouldn’t be hard on the goalkeeper because he was trying to help out the backline. I don’t blame him for what happened at all. Lucas was terrific for us at Margate last week and this situation was very difficult.”

Hawks impressed with their endeavour and briefly threatened an equaliser after Passley got them back to 2-1.

But Woodman was unhappy to see them concede early and that they did not get on the end of a series of well-delivered set-pieces from dangerous areas.

Now the quest continues to secure that first home success since struggling Margate were dispatched 2-0 on October 29 with goals by Christian Assombalonga and an opponent into his own net.

Woodman said: “Tuesday was as bad as we have been. I’ve been pleased with the boys. Let’s not get too down about one game.

“We need to get the home situation sorted. If we could come away with a clean sheet from our next home game on Saturday, that would be a real plus.”

Central defender Paul Reid is now free of injury, making him an obvious candidate to come in when Marimon is banned.

Woodman said: “Reidy is ready to go. He has worked really hard to get back to fitness.”