Andy Woodman hailed Whitehawk’s fighting spirit as they came from behind to claim three priceless points in their battle against relegation, writes Anthony Scott.

Danny Mills scored a late winner to seal a 3-2 victory at East Thurrock in National League south which lifted them four points clear of the drop-zone.

Tom Wraight put the hosts ahead before goals from Bradley Woods-Garness and Alex Osborn gave Hawks the advantage in the second half.

Wraight looked to have denied Woodman’s side when he made it 2-2 but Mills stepped up eight minutes from time to secure what could turn out to be a decisive result.

Woodman said: “I am delighted we were able to see the game out.

“We allowed them to score two soft goals that we should have done better with but credit to the lads as they kept battling and ultimately got their reward.

“It’s three more points that we needed – and hopefully we will add more to our tally next weekend.”

Hawks fell behind when Reece Harris was allowed to dribble down the right before pulling the ball across the face of goal to give Wraight a tap-in at the far post.

Frankie Sutherland saw his free-kick tipped over the bar by Lukas Lidakevicius before Hawks drew level after the half hour.

Mike West was allowed to bring the ball forward and teed up Woods-Garness, who beat a defender before his first-time drive found the far corner from the edge of the area.

Hawks went ahead just six minutes into the second period. Dan Harding’s ball in was only headed clear as far as Osborn, who cut inside from the right to fire low past Lidakevicius from 20 yards.

Substitute Ibby Akanbi wasted a good chance to make it 3-1 and Hawks were left to rue that miss just moments later as the hosts drew level. Kehi Akinwande was given time to pick out the unmarked Wraight who couldn’t miss at the far post.

Mills forced a good save from Lidakevicius before hitting the bar with the rebound but he redeemed himself eight minutes from time.

Glen Southam played a great ball through to Mills, who held off his marker before firing low past the keeper and into the far bottom corner for his 101st goal for the club.