Ade Olorunda scored one and made the other for Lee Carey as Hastings United were promoted to the Ryman Premier at Imperial Fields.

Olorunda, who scored twice in the semi-final triumph over Dover Athletic on Tuesday, ensured victory in the play-off final with another outstanding display.

He helped Hastings, the last team to defeat Tooting and Mitcham 31 games ago, give the south Londoners a second dose of bad medicine to cap a remarkable season for the Pilot Field outfit.

Hastings manager Nigel Kane said "Ade showed his quality and worked hard. It is a fantastic day for the team and the town.

"We lost our first four games and have come back from the dead because we never stopped believing. It is a day I will remember for the rest of my days."

Both sides struggled to control the ball on a pitch which had staged 92 games on it during the season and was bone hard following the recent dry weather.

It limited any decent football in the early stages but Hastings looked the more likely to find the net in the first half, with Olorunda their chief battering ram.

The hard running, hard working Olorunda had a shot on the turn saved by Dave King and put a header just wide in front of the boisterous United fans behind the goal.

Olorunda also created two opportunities for Carey, The first saw the former Albion scholar denied by a late block and then Carey showed a lack of composure when he swiped at a low Olorunda cross and completely missed the ball as it bobbled.

Tooting and Mitcham pressed on occasion, with 42-goal striker Paul Vines the main target for most forward balls, but the Hastings rearguard kept Vines quiet for the opening 45 minutes, with captain Sean Ray organising it superbly.

Ray's last ditch tackle denied former Crawley player Danny Carroll and United goalkeeper Lee Worgan plucked a Eben Allen header out of the air.

United replaced suspended Sam Adams, sent off at Dover, with Danny Ellis.

The manager who had been in charge of Hastings when they were last at a higher level, George Wakeling, was in the opposing dugout as assistant to Billy Smith, the former Crawley boss.

He could not have been too pleased with his side's first half performance.

Hastings poured water on a more fired up Tooting and Mitcham after the interval when Olorunda put the visitors in front on 56 minutes.

The United ace took advantage of a misjudgement of a high ball's bounce by Joe Vines to stretch out and drive home his 20th goal of the season.

United assistant manager Norman Kane was ordered to the stands following comments to fourth official Rob Whitton but the visiting camp were soon smiling again when they doubled their advantage on 66 minutes.

Olorunda was pulled back by Oliver Hunt and Lee Carey converted the resultant penalty as the offendingTooting and Mitcham defender saw red.

Tooting & Mitcham: King; Hartburn, Hamlin, York, McLeod, Hunt, Green, J Vines, P Vines, Allen, Carroll. Subs: Pinnock, Findlay, Day, Broomhead, Darko.

Hastings United: Worgan; Spice, Elford, Whyborne, Ray, Williams, Ellis, T Olorundo, A Olorundo, Rose, Carey. Subs: Bradley, Eldridge, Sims, Cruttenden, Harris-Green.

Referee: Mr D Rock.

Man-of-the-Match: Ade Olorunda Attendance: 1,132.