The ArgusCarbon monoxide fumes after Christmas power cut may have killed Hurstpierpoint couple (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Carbon monoxide fumes after Christmas power cut may have killed Hurstpierpoint couple

An elderly couple found dead in their Hurstpierpoint home are believed to have succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes.

Kenneth Swallow, 70, and his wife, Dorothy, 71, were found dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint, near Burgess Hill, on Boxing Day.

It is believed the fumes may have come from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.

An inquest into the couple's deaths was opened on January 3.

A Sussex Police statement said: “Shortly after midday on Boxing Day relatives found an elderly couple dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint.

“There are no suspicious circumstances and it is thought the man and woman may have succumbed to fumes from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.

“An investigation into their deaths continues. Post-mortem examinations have been carried out."

The Haywards Heath area was hit by extensive power cuts following the Christmas storms. 

The Argus will be running tributes to Mr and Mrs Swallow. Please email anna.roberts@theargus.co.uk.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:51am Mon 6 Jan 14

getThisCoalitionOut says...

Thanks to Thatcher privatising energy companies they don't do the sensible thing which would be to put all cables underground. This is so long overdue and disgraceful that these companies that are making an enormous profit, don't do it.

Do not think that the so called 5% profit they "claim" to make is the actual profit as they all own the gas and electricity companies that SUPPLY the energy, so they set the prices - the enormous profit is being made by these companies and they are keeping the real profits secret. Disgraceful.

My sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this couple.
Thanks to Thatcher privatising energy companies they don't do the sensible thing which would be to put all cables underground. This is so long overdue and disgraceful that these companies that are making an enormous profit, don't do it. Do not think that the so called 5% profit they "claim" to make is the actual profit as they all own the gas and electricity companies that SUPPLY the energy, so they set the prices - the enormous profit is being made by these companies and they are keeping the real profits secret. Disgraceful. My sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this couple. getThisCoalitionOut
  • Score: -2

1:19pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Farawaynow says...

Agree with everything you say GTCO but a generator should never have been used inside the property unless it was sited in a closed room with adequate ventilation.

The same thing can happen with coal/wood fires which draw oxygen from inside the room, any combustible material should have a feed from outside.
Agree with everything you say GTCO but a generator should never have been used inside the property unless it was sited in a closed room with adequate ventilation. The same thing can happen with coal/wood fires which draw oxygen from inside the room, any combustible material should have a feed from outside. Farawaynow
  • Score: 5

4:16pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Roundbill says...

Wowww... only two comments in, and we've already blamed a dead politician and heard from Captain Hindsight. This is going to be a fun thread.
Wowww... only two comments in, and we've already blamed a dead politician and heard from Captain Hindsight. This is going to be a fun thread. Roundbill
  • Score: 4

5:07pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Sussex jim says...

getThisCoalitionOut wrote:
Thanks to Thatcher privatising energy companies they don't do the sensible thing which would be to put all cables underground. This is so long overdue and disgraceful that these companies that are making an enormous profit, don't do it.

Do not think that the so called 5% profit they "claim" to make is the actual profit as they all own the gas and electricity companies that SUPPLY the energy, so they set the prices - the enormous profit is being made by these companies and they are keeping the real profits secret. Disgraceful.

My sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this couple.
What a stupid comment to make. It's got nothing to do with privatisation. Cables in rural areas have always been overhead, and probably always will be. Show some respect.
[quote][p][bold]getThisCoalitionOut[/bold] wrote: Thanks to Thatcher privatising energy companies they don't do the sensible thing which would be to put all cables underground. This is so long overdue and disgraceful that these companies that are making an enormous profit, don't do it. Do not think that the so called 5% profit they "claim" to make is the actual profit as they all own the gas and electricity companies that SUPPLY the energy, so they set the prices - the enormous profit is being made by these companies and they are keeping the real profits secret. Disgraceful. My sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this couple.[/p][/quote]What a stupid comment to make. It's got nothing to do with privatisation. Cables in rural areas have always been overhead, and probably always will be. Show some respect. Sussex jim
  • Score: 5

6:50pm Mon 6 Jan 14

hubby says...

Ken was a really nice guy.He coached me as a youngster at Burgess Hill FC and was always positive and extremely funny.
Forget the politics people.These were a nice elderly couple who should be given respect.
RIP.
Ken was a really nice guy.He coached me as a youngster at Burgess Hill FC and was always positive and extremely funny. Forget the politics people.These were a nice elderly couple who should be given respect. RIP. hubby
  • Score: 12

1:23am Tue 7 Jan 14

Baby_seagull says...

Ken will be missed by all of us who have seen him manning the North Laine Photography (and later Brighton Photography ) stand at Churchill Square every Christmas period and when we popped up to the old gallery in Kensington Gardens. I used to have many a chat with him over the years and will miss him when Christmas comes around again. My love and prayers go out to the family and all that worked with him. Such a sad loss, RIP Ken and Dorothy. :'(
Ken will be missed by all of us who have seen him manning the North Laine Photography (and later Brighton Photography ) stand at Churchill Square every Christmas period and when we popped up to the old gallery in Kensington Gardens. I used to have many a chat with him over the years and will miss him when Christmas comes around again. My love and prayers go out to the family and all that worked with him. Such a sad loss, RIP Ken and Dorothy. :'( Baby_seagull
  • Score: 2

9:37am Tue 7 Jan 14

abs1 says...

I am so sad to hear about the death of this couple. My daughter Katie died of carbon monoxide poisoning - two months after her wedding - in 2010. Please watch our youtube video advising families to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes. 85% of people have smoke alarms and yet carbon monoxide is a 'silent killer' and only 12% have CO alarms. Avril from The Katie Haines Memorial Trust.
I am so sad to hear about the death of this couple. My daughter Katie died of carbon monoxide poisoning - two months after her wedding - in 2010. Please watch our youtube video advising families to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes. 85% of people have smoke alarms and yet carbon monoxide is a 'silent killer' and only 12% have CO alarms. Avril from The Katie Haines Memorial Trust. abs1
  • Score: 1

4:31pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Anna Roberts says...

abs1 wrote:
I am so sad to hear about the death of this couple. My daughter Katie died of carbon monoxide poisoning - two months after her wedding - in 2010. Please watch our youtube video advising families to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes. 85% of people have smoke alarms and yet carbon monoxide is a 'silent killer' and only 12% have CO alarms. Avril from The Katie Haines Memorial Trust.
I worked in Reading at the time and remember this. I am so sorry for what happened. From what I heard Katie was lovely.
[quote][p][bold]abs1[/bold] wrote: I am so sad to hear about the death of this couple. My daughter Katie died of carbon monoxide poisoning - two months after her wedding - in 2010. Please watch our youtube video advising families to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes. 85% of people have smoke alarms and yet carbon monoxide is a 'silent killer' and only 12% have CO alarms. Avril from The Katie Haines Memorial Trust.[/p][/quote]I worked in Reading at the time and remember this. I am so sorry for what happened. From what I heard Katie was lovely. Anna Roberts
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree