The ArgusJust 20 people fined for using Lewes Road bus lane (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Just 20 people fined for using Lewes Road bus lane

The Argus: Just 20 people fined for using Lewes Road bus lane Just 20 people fined for using Lewes Road bus lane

Only 20 vehicles have been caught illegally using a new £1.9 million bus lane in three months – an average of one every four and a half days.

Brighton and Hove City Council unveiled the changes to Lewes Road, Brighton, in October, as part of wider plans to boost sustainable transport use in the area.

A camera was installed to catch those who drive their cars in the lane.

And with thousands of vehicles a day using the stretch, council leaders said the fact that just 20 motorists were issued with the £60 fines is proof the scheme is working well.

Green councillor Ian Davey, the authority’s lead member for transport, said: “Clearly people are aware that we are enforcing the scheme and that is enough of a deterrent for people not to use the bus and cycle lane illegally.

“We would always prefer that people use the road correctly, rather than having to issue penalty charge notices.

“We are continuing to monitor the lanes so advise everyone to continue observing the restrictions.”

The council did not break down the figures by vehicle type.

But a spokeswoman confirmed that refuse vehicles, charity minibuses and any vehicle carrying more than eight passengers is allowed to join buses, taxis and emergency service vehicles in using the lane.

She added that any of these vehicles were allowed to switch lanes to overtake.

Coun Davey said figures compiled by the council showed a 14% increase in cyclists, a 7% increase in bus passengers and a 41% increase in taxi use since the lanes opened.

Steve Percy, of motoring lobby group People’s Parking Protest and a member of the city’s transport partnership, said: “I think people are very money conscious now so they are not going to take the chance of getting fined.

“Catching one car every four and half days is hardly a good return on the investment.”

Speaking generally about bus lanes, Mr Percy added: “I’m still convinced the restrictions should be lifted to off peak.”

Conservative councillor Graham Cox said: “It seems that by and large, the rules are being complied with and the council is not using the bus lane as a cash generator in this instance, which I welcome.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:56am Wed 22 Jan 14

Brightonlad86 says...

1 camera on the road? If that's the case, I know exactly where it is (won't say as I don't want to encourage people to take advantage), so I'm sure many others do...

When in Brighton I always see at least 1 person, crossing the white line for 1 reason or another... Switching lanes too early before turning left, motorbikes undertaking and some just out right flouting the law etc...

Typical POLITICIANS (not just going to blame the greens, they are all the same) twisting the statistics for their own benefit. Fact is, far more people have used the bus lane than the stats suggest!!!
1 camera on the road? If that's the case, I know exactly where it is (won't say as I don't want to encourage people to take advantage), so I'm sure many others do... When in Brighton I always see at least 1 person, crossing the white line for 1 reason or another... Switching lanes too early before turning left, motorbikes undertaking and some just out right flouting the law etc... Typical POLITICIANS (not just going to blame the greens, they are all the same) twisting the statistics for their own benefit. Fact is, far more people have used the bus lane than the stats suggest!!! Brightonlad86
  • Score: 6

7:00am Wed 22 Jan 14

brighton bluenose says...

Quelle suprise - Steve Percy talking more nonsense! He is obviously confused as the whole point of the bus lane is to get buses and their passengers into town quickly and particularly at peak times for gods sake - other areas where they have variable time bus lanes the restrictions apply in peak times only and not in off-peak!
Quelle suprise - Steve Percy talking more nonsense! He is obviously confused as the whole point of the bus lane is to get buses and their passengers into town quickly and particularly at peak times for gods sake - other areas where they have variable time bus lanes the restrictions apply in peak times only and not in off-peak! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 1

7:02am Wed 22 Jan 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Last night a Royal Mail van was hurtling along in it. Are they allowed to use it?
However, I am surprised there's a chance for drivers to get into the bus lane now as the buses and taxis keep coming In and out of it like some sort of arcade game. The bus lane seems to be no longer a bus lane for the buses.
The Coombe Road junction for cyclists is a death trap there is so much lane swapping and clutter.
Does anyone know if the council are doing anything about the huge queues in Coombe Road since the council changed the phasing of the traffic lights so only three vehicles at a time can exit the road. Yesterday buses could not get up Coombe and passengers were left pacing at the bus stop. It is chaos.
I know the Local Action Team and Simon Kirby was looking at it. Any news?
Last night a Royal Mail van was hurtling along in it. Are they allowed to use it? However, I am surprised there's a chance for drivers to get into the bus lane now as the buses and taxis keep coming In and out of it like some sort of arcade game. The bus lane seems to be no longer a bus lane for the buses. The Coombe Road junction for cyclists is a death trap there is so much lane swapping and clutter. Does anyone know if the council are doing anything about the huge queues in Coombe Road since the council changed the phasing of the traffic lights so only three vehicles at a time can exit the road. Yesterday buses could not get up Coombe and passengers were left pacing at the bus stop. It is chaos. I know the Local Action Team and Simon Kirby was looking at it. Any news? Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 14

7:22am Wed 22 Jan 14

spaceman1 says...

Exactly right that man I spend more time looking in my rear view mirror than looking forward i must be the slowest driver on the planet but I swear someone is gonna get me sooner or later and why are buses etc allowed to willy nilly come into our car lane we have paid road tax ,tax on petrol and council tax to fund this chaos yet we are the ones sitting there burning fuel
Exactly right that man I spend more time looking in my rear view mirror than looking forward i must be the slowest driver on the planet but I swear someone is gonna get me sooner or later and why are buses etc allowed to willy nilly come into our car lane we have paid road tax ,tax on petrol and council tax to fund this chaos yet we are the ones sitting there burning fuel spaceman1
  • Score: 2

7:23am Wed 22 Jan 14

upsidedowntuctuc says...

Anyone that believes anything that Davey quotes as being correct is more stupid than he is.
Let's see him back up his figures on increase in Bus use Cycle use and Taxi use.
Of course not this is the same Davey who was shown on Television telling fellow Greens he'd reduced pollution.
Less than 16 months left of this saddo and his Kitcrap mate.
Anyone that believes anything that Davey quotes as being correct is more stupid than he is. Let's see him back up his figures on increase in Bus use Cycle use and Taxi use. Of course not this is the same Davey who was shown on Television telling fellow Greens he'd reduced pollution. Less than 16 months left of this saddo and his Kitcrap mate. upsidedowntuctuc
  • Score: 9

7:26am Wed 22 Jan 14

fatso says...

I think the council will have to remove some of the signs or the fines will not recoup the cost of the scheme until 2189!!
I think the council will have to remove some of the signs or the fines will not recoup the cost of the scheme until 2189!! fatso
  • Score: 3

8:56am Wed 22 Jan 14

Crystal Ball says...

The only thing "working well" is the majority of motorists keeping out of the bus lane.

The lane itself is a misjudged, ill-thought out and badly applied blot on a key road into the town that, for many years, has operated fine just as it was.

Another turkey award to the Goofy Greens.
The only thing "working well" is the majority of motorists keeping out of the bus lane. The lane itself is a misjudged, ill-thought out and badly applied blot on a key road into the town that, for many years, has operated fine just as it was. Another turkey award to the Goofy Greens. Crystal Ball
  • Score: 7

11:33am Wed 22 Jan 14

ThinkBrighton says...

I thought that the cameras were on the backs of buses
I thought that the cameras were on the backs of buses ThinkBrighton
  • Score: -1

12:18pm Wed 22 Jan 14

brightonian57 says...

It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane. brightonian57
  • Score: 6

12:40pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Brightonlad86 says...

brightonian57 wrote:
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
I have also witnessed this on many occasions...

I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle?

Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.
[quote][p][bold]brightonian57[/bold] wrote: It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.[/p][/quote]I have also witnessed this on many occasions... I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle? Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus. Brightonlad86
  • Score: 3

1:50pm Wed 22 Jan 14

s_james says...

Brightonlad86 wrote:
brightonian57 wrote:
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
I have also witnessed this on many occasions...

I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle?

Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.
So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists?
[quote][p][bold]Brightonlad86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonian57[/bold] wrote: It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.[/p][/quote]I have also witnessed this on many occasions... I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle? Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.[/p][/quote]So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists? s_james
  • Score: 2

3:08pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Brightonlad86 says...

s_james wrote:
Brightonlad86 wrote:
brightonian57 wrote:
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
I have also witnessed this on many occasions...

I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle?

Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.
So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists?
Tbh it would only be a couple of buses. Whilst I agree with your points, and it's more of a flippant view on my part, I don't just don't see the need for empty buses to use these lanes. They have no passengers, no timetable to keep to and are not being ran efficiently.

I suppose my point is that if we trying to go 'green' then we need to discourage unnecessary journeys as, surly, empty buses just add to the problem.
[quote][p][bold]s_james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brightonlad86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonian57[/bold] wrote: It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.[/p][/quote]I have also witnessed this on many occasions... I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle? Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.[/p][/quote]So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists?[/p][/quote]Tbh it would only be a couple of buses. Whilst I agree with your points, and it's more of a flippant view on my part, I don't just don't see the need for empty buses to use these lanes. They have no passengers, no timetable to keep to and are not being ran efficiently. I suppose my point is that if we trying to go 'green' then we need to discourage unnecessary journeys as, surly, empty buses just add to the problem. Brightonlad86
  • Score: 1

5:00pm Wed 22 Jan 14

mrpurplestorm says...

Brightonlad86 wrote:
brightonian57 wrote:
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
I have also witnessed this on many occasions...

I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle?

Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.
Buses running light shouldn't use the bus lane? It's still a bus...
[quote][p][bold]Brightonlad86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonian57[/bold] wrote: It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.[/p][/quote]I have also witnessed this on many occasions... I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle? Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.[/p][/quote]Buses running light shouldn't use the bus lane? It's still a bus... mrpurplestorm
  • Score: 1

5:05pm Wed 22 Jan 14

mrpurplestorm says...

Brightonlad86 wrote:
s_james wrote:
Brightonlad86 wrote:
brightonian57 wrote:
It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.
I have also witnessed this on many occasions...

I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle?

Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.
So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists?
Tbh it would only be a couple of buses. Whilst I agree with your points, and it's more of a flippant view on my part, I don't just don't see the need for empty buses to use these lanes. They have no passengers, no timetable to keep to and are not being ran efficiently.

I suppose my point is that if we trying to go 'green' then we need to discourage unnecessary journeys as, surly, empty buses just add to the problem.
we still keep to timetables when running light. Sometimes on our way to start trips, sometimes to handover or end trips. What benefit would not letting 'Not in Service' buses use the bus lane have?
[quote][p][bold]Brightonlad86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s_james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brightonlad86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonian57[/bold] wrote: It's a shame the buses can't be fined for driving outside their lane. I was driving past Wild Park the other day when a bus couldn't be bothered to wait behind a bendy bus and pulled right in front of me with out any signals, drove past the bendy bus and pulled into the bus lane.[/p][/quote]I have also witnessed this on many occasions... I was on the understanding that a SOLID white line on a road must not be crossed by ANY vehicle? Also, changing the subject slightly, why are taxis even allowed to use the bus lane? The carry no more passengers than a car can carry, so surly they create just as much (if not more when empty, driving from one side of town to the other to pick someone up) pollution and congestion as te average car. I also think empty 'not in service' buses should not travel in the bus lane. When it has no passengers it is not being used as a bus.[/p][/quote]So you’d rather have empty buses adding more traffic to the lane that cars are restricted to? I don’t understand the logic or benefit to motorists?[/p][/quote]Tbh it would only be a couple of buses. Whilst I agree with your points, and it's more of a flippant view on my part, I don't just don't see the need for empty buses to use these lanes. They have no passengers, no timetable to keep to and are not being ran efficiently. I suppose my point is that if we trying to go 'green' then we need to discourage unnecessary journeys as, surly, empty buses just add to the problem.[/p][/quote]we still keep to timetables when running light. Sometimes on our way to start trips, sometimes to handover or end trips. What benefit would not letting 'Not in Service' buses use the bus lane have? mrpurplestorm
  • Score: 0

11:01pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

The fact that the bus and taxi companies are now using both lanes demonstrates that the schemes does not work and the delays in the bus lane have hindered public transport so they have reverted back to the original road use.
Therefore it is time to open up both lanes to all traffic to get things moving for all road users otherwise this is another example of the Grens unwanted inequality policies.
The cycle lane would not be impacted by this action.
This morning a milk float was trundling along the outside lane at about 8mph causing horrendous tail backs.
Get the city moving again and get the bloody traffic out of the residential areas where rat runs were created.
The fact that the bus and taxi companies are now using both lanes demonstrates that the schemes does not work and the delays in the bus lane have hindered public transport so they have reverted back to the original road use. Therefore it is time to open up both lanes to all traffic to get things moving for all road users otherwise this is another example of the Grens unwanted inequality policies. The cycle lane would not be impacted by this action. This morning a milk float was trundling along the outside lane at about 8mph causing horrendous tail backs. Get the city moving again and get the bloody traffic out of the residential areas where rat runs were created. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 2

6:41am Thu 23 Jan 14

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The fact that the bus and taxi companies are now using both lanes demonstrates that the schemes does not work and the delays in the bus lane have hindered public transport so they have reverted back to the original road use. Therefore it is time to open up both lanes to all traffic to get things moving for all road users otherwise this is another example of the Grens unwanted inequality policies. The cycle lane would not be impacted by this action. This morning a milk float was trundling along the outside lane at about 8mph causing horrendous tail backs. Get the city moving again and get the bloody traffic out of the residential areas where rat runs were created.
Couldn't agree more.

As a regular user of this stretch of road I have a few observations

Firstly more and more buses and taxis can be found in the outside lane

Secondly more and more cars can be found in this inside lane

Finally the very people who introduced this failing feature are so clueless that they are seemingly ignoring the fact that the same number of journeys are still being made but outside of the relative safety of the main road

Truly laughable
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The fact that the bus and taxi companies are now using both lanes demonstrates that the schemes does not work and the delays in the bus lane have hindered public transport so they have reverted back to the original road use. Therefore it is time to open up both lanes to all traffic to get things moving for all road users otherwise this is another example of the Grens unwanted inequality policies. The cycle lane would not be impacted by this action. This morning a milk float was trundling along the outside lane at about 8mph causing horrendous tail backs. Get the city moving again and get the bloody traffic out of the residential areas where rat runs were created.[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more. As a regular user of this stretch of road I have a few observations Firstly more and more buses and taxis can be found in the outside lane Secondly more and more cars can be found in this inside lane Finally the very people who introduced this failing feature are so clueless that they are seemingly ignoring the fact that the same number of journeys are still being made but outside of the relative safety of the main road Truly laughable Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree