Drugs arrest after man collapses in Brighton Sauna

Brighton Sauna. Picture taken from Google Streetview

Brighton Sauna. Picture taken from Google Streetview

First published in News
Last updated
by , Crime reporter

A 27-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of supplying illegal drugs after a man was found collapsed in a sauna.

The man, who also needed hospital treatment, remained in police custody yesterday following the incident in Brighton Sauna at around 3pm on Sunday.

The 28-year-old victim from Eastbourne was initially described as being “seriously ill” at the sauna in Grand Parade in Brighton and was recovering in Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton yesterday.

A spokesman from the sauna confirmed police and paramedics had attended the scene.

He said the sauna was closed following the incident on Sunday but reopened yesterday.

He said: “There was a young guy taken to hospital seriously ill.

“Someone else has been arrested and there is an ongoing police investigation.

“We have a zero tolerance drugs policy at the sauna.

“We are utterly disgusted when people do things like this.”

An eyewitness to the aftermath of the incident said there were six police cars and two ambulances outside the sauna.

He added: “A customer overdosed on recreational drugs.

“Emergency staff were on site from 3pm and all customers were searched by police.”

Another person claimed the victim overdosed on GHB, also known as liquid ecstasy, although police said results of toxicology tests were not yet available.

A Sussex Police statement said: “One man was arrested and another rushed to hospital after being found unconscious in a sauna in Brighton on Sunday afternoon.

“Police were called to the sauna in Grand Parade after a man collapsed.

“He was taken to hospital where he later regained consciousness.”

A South East Coast Ambulance spokesman said: “SECAmb was called to reports that two people were in need of medical attention and not fully conscious.

“Two ambulance crews attended the scene and two men were assessed and treated at the scene.

“Both had reduced levels of consciousness en-route to hospital.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree