Have your say: Time for another Brighton trainline?

Have your say: Time for another Brighton trainline?

Have your say: Time for another Brighton trainline?

First published in News

MP Nick Herbert has made a renewed call for Network Rail to install an alternative route for passengers on the Brighton mainline after widespread flooding caused travel chaos this week.

Do you agree with him?

What can be done to prevent travel chaos whenever there is an incident on the route?

Or is it just a case of bad luck and grin and bear it?

Let us know below.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:58am Thu 20 Feb 14

Mart says...

It's really very hard to argue against the economic case for not adding a very small piece of track to enable north turns onto the Arun line from Brighton & Worthing, but no doubt the bone idle unionised dinosaurs who run the trains and track in this country will find a thousand reasons not to do so, in the same way that they cancel entire services, or run them late, at the drop of a hat.
It's really very hard to argue against the economic case for not adding a very small piece of track to enable north turns onto the Arun line from Brighton & Worthing, but no doubt the bone idle unionised dinosaurs who run the trains and track in this country will find a thousand reasons not to do so, in the same way that they cancel entire services, or run them late, at the drop of a hat. Mart
  • Score: 2

12:12pm Thu 20 Feb 14

dcrane says...

This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem.

I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct.
This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem. I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct. dcrane
  • Score: 19

1:13pm Thu 20 Feb 14

CatoTheCat says...

dcrane wrote:
This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem.

I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct.
Which runs right across the Ouse flood plain. As you say, a no-brainer.
[quote][p][bold]dcrane[/bold] wrote: This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem. I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct.[/p][/quote]Which runs right across the Ouse flood plain. As you say, a no-brainer. CatoTheCat
  • Score: -6

1:54pm Thu 20 Feb 14

rolivan says...

There are countless rules and regs for Transporting Animal Livestock and yet when it comes to Commuters they are allowed to be treated far worse.I am sure the Brighton to London Line makes sufficent profit to make it viable to spend whatever is needed to get the commute into the 21st Century.
There are countless rules and regs for Transporting Animal Livestock and yet when it comes to Commuters they are allowed to be treated far worse.I am sure the Brighton to London Line makes sufficent profit to make it viable to spend whatever is needed to get the commute into the 21st Century. rolivan
  • Score: 6

2:51pm Thu 20 Feb 14

Uckfield's Wolfie says...

Re-opening the Uckfield to Lewes section (most of the track bed is still there to be used) and a direct line from Uckfield to Brighton will do the job. Also serves residents and students in East Brighton who currently have to travel into Brighton and change trains to get to London. And don't forget the football etc fans for the Amex - Brighton mainline station needn't be on the route, thus avoiding the potential clashes of rivals. It's just GOT TO happen. See BML2 proposals - Google for the website
Re-opening the Uckfield to Lewes section (most of the track bed is still there to be used) and a direct line from Uckfield to Brighton will do the job. Also serves residents and students in East Brighton who currently have to travel into Brighton and change trains to get to London. And don't forget the football etc fans for the Amex - Brighton mainline station needn't be on the route, thus avoiding the potential clashes of rivals. It's just GOT TO happen. See BML2 proposals - Google for the website Uckfield's Wolfie
  • Score: 9

3:07pm Thu 20 Feb 14

ghost bus driver says...

dcrane wrote:
This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem.

I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct.
"The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated"

That ought to read *Must* be reinstated. But I do agree with you.
[quote][p][bold]dcrane[/bold] wrote: This is a no-brainer. The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated and that would solve the problem. I dread to think of the consequences if there were a major collapse in the Balcombe Tunnel or of the Balcombe Viaduct.[/p][/quote]"The short section from Lewes to Uckfield (10 miles if that) could be reinstated" That ought to read *Must* be reinstated. But I do agree with you. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 4

3:30pm Thu 20 Feb 14

MICKY389 says...

I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming
I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming MICKY389
  • Score: 7

5:55pm Thu 20 Feb 14

Bristol VR says...

I don't think anyone could accuse front line railway staff of being bone idle or dinosaurs as has been mentioned in the first post on this article. I think the majority of front line staff work exceptionally hard to keep our railways going in the face of impossible odds, miserable customers and decades of under investment. The faceless bureaucrats and high level pen pushers of the Train Operating Companies together with Network Rail are the ones who really need to take a long hard look, and look and look again at this matter. Instead of just dismissing it with statistics about how long it takes to ride from a to b in a train on a specific route they should perhaps listen a bit more to the people who use the trains that they make a profit from. Get this vital link at Arundel built together with a chord to link the East Coastway up as it was in the 1960s at Polegate to create a fast service to Hastings & Ashford without the tedious trundle in and out of Eastbourne. Our Railway needs this and it needs it now.

The train services in Sussex have got so much potential which is being totally wasted at present by lethargy and lack of proper insight with people in positions of power in the railway saying "it can't be done"... If they did it in Victorian times there is absolutely NO reason why they cannot do it now in the modern 21st century.
I don't think anyone could accuse front line railway staff of being bone idle or dinosaurs as has been mentioned in the first post on this article. I think the majority of front line staff work exceptionally hard to keep our railways going in the face of impossible odds, miserable customers and decades of under investment. The faceless bureaucrats and high level pen pushers of the Train Operating Companies together with Network Rail are the ones who really need to take a long hard look, and look and look again at this matter. Instead of just dismissing it with statistics about how long it takes to ride from a to b in a train on a specific route they should perhaps listen a bit more to the people who use the trains that they make a profit from. Get this vital link at Arundel built together with a chord to link the East Coastway up as it was in the 1960s at Polegate to create a fast service to Hastings & Ashford without the tedious trundle in and out of Eastbourne. Our Railway needs this and it needs it now. The train services in Sussex have got so much potential which is being totally wasted at present by lethargy and lack of proper insight with people in positions of power in the railway saying "it can't be done"... If they did it in Victorian times there is absolutely NO reason why they cannot do it now in the modern 21st century. Bristol VR
  • Score: 3

12:02am Fri 21 Feb 14

Quiterie says...

MICKY389 wrote:
I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming
You obviously don't use the trains as often as some of the rest of us my friend. If you did you would know that services are often cancelled with little or no explanation.. Both First Capital Connect and Southern are frequently guilty of this. When you query it with their Customer Service teams you get a load of irrelevant rubbish copied and pasted into a pathetic response. These train companies have no interest in good customer service. They're purely interested in maximising profit. Anyone who travels with these companies on a daily basis will tell you the same thing. That's why their latest customer satisfaction figures are so poor.
[quote][p][bold]MICKY389[/bold] wrote: I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming[/p][/quote]You obviously don't use the trains as often as some of the rest of us my friend. If you did you would know that services are often cancelled with little or no explanation.. Both First Capital Connect and Southern are frequently guilty of this. When you query it with their Customer Service teams you get a load of irrelevant rubbish copied and pasted into a pathetic response. These train companies have no interest in good customer service. They're purely interested in maximising profit. Anyone who travels with these companies on a daily basis will tell you the same thing. That's why their latest customer satisfaction figures are so poor. Quiterie
  • Score: 0

8:05am Fri 21 Feb 14

Sussex jim says...

The one and a half miles of trackbed between Ardingly and Horsted Keynes could also be relaid. Not an ideal alternative, but at least it would be another link for emergency use.
The one and a half miles of trackbed between Ardingly and Horsted Keynes could also be relaid. Not an ideal alternative, but at least it would be another link for emergency use. Sussex jim
  • Score: 1

10:09am Fri 21 Feb 14

Mart says...

MICKY389 wrote:
I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming
You probably find my comments ignorant and offensive, because you know that deep down they are absolutely true.

Once again your post is typical of people who work in the rail industry - constantly finding excuses, asking us to feel sorry for you, lazy, backward, penny pinching. People who come up with a thousand and one reasons why something is too difficult or just cant be done.

Absolute rubbish - start looking for ways that things CAN be achieved, and stop hiding behind pathetic excuses.
[quote][p][bold]MICKY389[/bold] wrote: I find Marts comments both offensive and ignorant.No train service is cancelled unless absolutely essential, apart from anything else the operator has to pay hefty fines. Try working 10 hour days in all conditions Mart, dealing with suicides, drunks and a small minority of the public who are offensive and sometimes even violent, then lecture others about work. As for the Arun chord idea the problem is that the line between Brighton and Worthing and beyond is already full up with other trains, many stopping at all stations, and the journey up the Arun Valley is a long and slow one. If the line from Lewes to Uckfield was reinstated the all trains from Brighton would have to reverse at Lewes unless a long and expensive tunnel was built under the Downs, the Uckfield line would also have to be doubled, resignalled and electrified. None of this would come cheap, and however much it makes sense this being Britain I cannot see the money being forthcoming[/p][/quote]You probably find my comments ignorant and offensive, because you know that deep down they are absolutely true. Once again your post is typical of people who work in the rail industry - constantly finding excuses, asking us to feel sorry for you, lazy, backward, penny pinching. People who come up with a thousand and one reasons why something is too difficult or just cant be done. Absolute rubbish - start looking for ways that things CAN be achieved, and stop hiding behind pathetic excuses. Mart
  • Score: 3

11:40am Fri 21 Feb 14

MICKY389 says...

Dear Mart, grow up dear boy, I did not ask you to feel sorry for me just to add a few actual facts in reply to your rant(s). Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, back to the Daily Mail dear fellow.
Dear Mart, grow up dear boy, I did not ask you to feel sorry for me just to add a few actual facts in reply to your rant(s). Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, back to the Daily Mail dear fellow. MICKY389
  • Score: -1

12:35pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Mart says...

MICKY389 wrote:
Dear Mart, grow up dear boy, I did not ask you to feel sorry for me just to add a few actual facts in reply to your rant(s). Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, back to the Daily Mail dear fellow.
and it's back to the train driver's favourite, the Morning Star for you....comrade
[quote][p][bold]MICKY389[/bold] wrote: Dear Mart, grow up dear boy, I did not ask you to feel sorry for me just to add a few actual facts in reply to your rant(s). Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, back to the Daily Mail dear fellow.[/p][/quote]and it's back to the train driver's favourite, the Morning Star for you....comrade Mart
  • Score: -1

1:57pm Fri 21 Feb 14

MICKY389 says...

Sadly not for me as I recently retired after 40 years of dealing with people like your goodself. Anyway if you have travelled by train in the last 40 years, thank you for your contributions to my index linked pension which should see me comfortably off for the rest on my life. Just keep an eye on the blood pressure old bean
Sadly not for me as I recently retired after 40 years of dealing with people like your goodself. Anyway if you have travelled by train in the last 40 years, thank you for your contributions to my index linked pension which should see me comfortably off for the rest on my life. Just keep an eye on the blood pressure old bean MICKY389
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree