A 34-year-old man is being questioned by Sussex Police officers on suspicion of commiting an offence under the Firearms Act. Officers are searching a house this evening.
No shots were fired and nobody was injured in the incident.
Detective Superintendent Steve Black, who led the operation, said: "I would like to thank everyone for their patience and co-operation while this sensitive incident was brought to a safe conclusion.
"I am aware that there was significant disruption, but it was essential to close off the immediate area to ensure the safety of everyone living and working locally, as well as those seeking to resolve it."
- Coach passengers able to walk away from crash with crane on A27
- VIDEO: Madness of man who stops to have his picture taken sat on the edge of 500ft cliff
- Body found on beach not being treated as suspicious
- Two taken to hospital following crash on A27
- Air ambulance called as boy, 12, is knocked over