Smoke alarm warning after dog dies in fire

Smoke alarm warning after dog dies in fire

Smoke alarm warning after dog dies in fire

First published in News

People  are being warned to make sure their smoke alarms are working after a dog died in a house fire.

Firefighters were called to Coxcombe Walk, Bewbush, Crawley just before 9am today after smoke was seen coming from a window.

The fire, believed to be caused by an incense stick, broke out in a ground floor flat but smouldered undetected for some time as the property did not have a working fire alarm

A person in the flat had managed to escape just before a crew from Crawley fire station arrived and was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters went back into the flat to rescue a pet rabbit and the dog but the dog died at the scene.

The flat was left severely damaged by fire and smoke and is temporarily uninhabitable.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service incident commander, Paul Barber, said: “Sadly, a family have lost a beloved pet, but had the occupier's children been in at the time of the fire, the consequences could have been even more tragic.

“We urge people to make sure they have a working smoke alarm in their home. It is the only thing that can guarantee you that life-saving early warning to a developing fire.

"We also want to remind people to take extra care with candles and incense burners.

“Please make sure you place then in suitable holders and on stable, heatproof surface and only burn them when you are in the room."

For a free home fire safety check, call 0800 328 6487 or visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:53pm Tue 8 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

A terrible tragedy.

I'm surprised that the poor pooch didn't smell the fumes and alert the household.

Losing a pet is awful.
A terrible tragedy. I'm surprised that the poor pooch didn't smell the fumes and alert the household. Losing a pet is awful. stevo!!
  • Score: 2

8:35am Wed 9 Jul 14

Juleyanne says...

Tragic and preventable. I no longer use candles or incense. It is too risky especially if any alcohol is consumed as people can fall asleep leaving candles or incense burning unattended. A friend once told me she fell asleep leaving a candle burning and woke to find her bed on fire! Fortunately, she woke and managed to extinguish the flames. Not worth the risk. My heart goes out to the dog and owners, so sad.
Tragic and preventable. I no longer use candles or incense. It is too risky especially if any alcohol is consumed as people can fall asleep leaving candles or incense burning unattended. A friend once told me she fell asleep leaving a candle burning and woke to find her bed on fire! Fortunately, she woke and managed to extinguish the flames. Not worth the risk. My heart goes out to the dog and owners, so sad. Juleyanne
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree