Caterers pull out of Brighton and Hove culture hotspot contract

Caterers pull out of Brighton and Hove culture hotspot contract

Caterers pull out of Brighton and Hove culture hotspot contract

First published in News
Last updated

A top-class catering firm has pulled out of its contract to supply food to visitors at Brighton and Hove’s cultural hotspots.

Brighton and Hove City Council has confirmed that Peyton & Byrne will cease to deliver catering and hospitality functions for Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival and Royal Pavilion and Museums over the next few months.

A spokeswoman for the local authority said that although Peyton & Byrne entered the contract with enthusiasm and considerable investment, they now feel that the project “does not fit” with their core activities in London.

The council said that it is now anticipated that the Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival bars will return to in-house management while joint tenders for a new firm to run event catering and the daytime cafes will be sought.

Unions are being consulted on the future of existing Peyton & Byrne staff while customers are being reassured that existing event catering commitments will be honoured and café facilities will remain open for business until the tendering process for cafes is complete..

The company, which is run by BBC Great British Menu judge Oliver Peyton, signed a five year contract to cater for Brighton’s culture vultures in 2012.

At the time, the contract was billed as a homecoming for the family firm which opened hip-hop club The Can in Brighton in 1979.

The company also has contracts for catering at Kew Gardens, the British Library, the Royal Academy and the National Gallery.

In a combined statement, Janita Bagshawe, head of Royal Pavilion, Arts and Museums and Andrew Comben, chief executive of Brighton Dome & Brighton Festival said: “We are disappointed that Peyton & Bryrne will be leaving at this stage especially as they have invested considerably locally in existing and new outlets over the past 16 months.

“We are pleased to confirm, however, that Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival and the Royal Pavilion will continue working in partnership on a joint tender for event catering and daytime cafes.

“We look forward to welcoming applications from bidders who appreciate the uniqueness of Brighton and Hove and can cater for what our visitors and audiences really want, helping us to make the Royal Pavilion Estate a world-class destination for residents and visitors.”

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:05am Tue 22 Jul 14

s&k says...

So, what do we glean from this?
So, what do we glean from this? s&k
  • Score: 7

10:18am Tue 22 Jul 14

We love Red Billy says...

We did hear that there was a lot of interference from certain parties and the company got sick of being told how to run their operation. Cue HJars to come to the rescue.
We did hear that there was a lot of interference from certain parties and the company got sick of being told how to run their operation. Cue HJars to come to the rescue. We love Red Billy
  • Score: 4

10:26am Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
[quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do. stevo!!
  • Score: -12

10:29am Tue 22 Jul 14

wippasnapper says...

Well all I can say is dote come whimpering back to B&H if your core activities in London go down the drain because “your not bit fit” in with our activities hear in sunny B&H.
Well all I can say is dote come whimpering back to B&H if your core activities in London go down the drain because “your not bit fit” in with our activities hear in sunny B&H. wippasnapper
  • Score: -5

10:48am Tue 22 Jul 14

Valerie Paynter says...

Hurrah! Their preciously expensive offer was unfair on visitors to the cafe in the Brighton Museum area of the Royal Pavilion Estate who needed a sit down with an affordable cup of tea & cake.

I thought them a rip-off.
Hurrah! Their preciously expensive offer was unfair on visitors to the cafe in the Brighton Museum area of the Royal Pavilion Estate who needed a sit down with an affordable cup of tea & cake. I thought them a rip-off. Valerie Paynter
  • Score: 21

10:52am Tue 22 Jul 14

Gardenboy says...

Errrr, excuse me, but a contract is a contract. They signed for 5 years so there should be a financial penalty to pull out! No mention of this in the article?
Errrr, excuse me, but a contract is a contract. They signed for 5 years so there should be a financial penalty to pull out! No mention of this in the article? Gardenboy
  • Score: 23

10:57am Tue 22 Jul 14

SonnyJim55 says...

I blame the Greens and the cyclists
I blame the Greens and the cyclists SonnyJim55
  • Score: 6

11:11am Tue 22 Jul 14

chrismilo says...

So this Catering Company supplies Food to visitors to Brighton who supplies the residents of Brighton and Hove with their Food ?
So this Catering Company supplies Food to visitors to Brighton who supplies the residents of Brighton and Hove with their Food ? chrismilo
  • Score: -1

11:18am Tue 22 Jul 14

brightonline says...

Who was ever going to pay £7.50 for a sausage roll from these chancers? Was there ever a bid process for this contract or did they spin the Council a line about how great they were? My niece's partner is being made redundant as a result of this fiasco.
Who was ever going to pay £7.50 for a sausage roll from these chancers? Was there ever a bid process for this contract or did they spin the Council a line about how great they were? My niece's partner is being made redundant as a result of this fiasco. brightonline
  • Score: 9

11:34am Tue 22 Jul 14

rolivan says...

Perhaps they thought they would be getting The Pavilion Gardens Cafe contract.
Perhaps they thought they would be getting The Pavilion Gardens Cafe contract. rolivan
  • Score: 7

11:43am Tue 22 Jul 14

hovian says...

Their menu was far too expensive - perhaps they weren't getting enough business...
Their menu was far too expensive - perhaps they weren't getting enough business... hovian
  • Score: 19

11:57am Tue 22 Jul 14

Alison Smith says...

Bin men strikes; protestors camping at the Steine; protest marches; naked bike rides; high parking charges etc. tend to put off Tourists coming to Brighton. No wonder this company has had disappointing results & have pulled out.
Bin men strikes; protestors camping at the Steine; protest marches; naked bike rides; high parking charges etc. tend to put off Tourists coming to Brighton. No wonder this company has had disappointing results & have pulled out. Alison Smith
  • Score: -2

12:03pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Andy R says...

stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore.......... Andy R
  • Score: 16

12:24pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Andy R says...

SonnyJim55 wrote:
I blame the Greens and the cyclists
..and the travellers...you forgot the travellers......
[quote][p][bold]SonnyJim55[/bold] wrote: I blame the Greens and the cyclists[/p][/quote]..and the travellers...you forgot the travellers...... Andy R
  • Score: 2

12:32pm Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer. stevo!!
  • Score: -19

12:45pm Tue 22 Jul 14

We love Red Billy says...

rolivan wrote:
Perhaps they thought they would be getting The Pavilion Gardens Cafe contract.
Warmer,warmer,hot...
..
[quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: Perhaps they thought they would be getting The Pavilion Gardens Cafe contract.[/p][/quote]Warmer,warmer,hot... .. We love Red Billy
  • Score: 4

1:23pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Andy R says...

stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense. Andy R
  • Score: 14

1:28pm Tue 22 Jul 14

SonnyJim55 says...

Andy R wrote:
SonnyJim55 wrote:
I blame the Greens and the cyclists
..and the travellers...you forgot the travellers......
I didnt forget them, how could I? I just took it as a given, of course they are also to blame!
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SonnyJim55[/bold] wrote: I blame the Greens and the cyclists[/p][/quote]..and the travellers...you forgot the travellers......[/p][/quote]I didnt forget them, how could I? I just took it as a given, of course they are also to blame! SonnyJim55
  • Score: 1

4:13pm Tue 22 Jul 14

nonbeliever says...

So who appointed them in the first place and did they do any homework on prices etc. Maybe they should be brought to book.
So who appointed them in the first place and did they do any homework on prices etc. Maybe they should be brought to book. nonbeliever
  • Score: 11

4:18pm Tue 22 Jul 14

nonbeliever says...

So who appointed them in the first place? and did they do their checks on prices. They need to be brought to book. Going after two years what penalties are there? Now they say it doesnt fit in with their London operation, their website says the opposite. Hope theCouncil demands a report.
So who appointed them in the first place? and did they do their checks on prices. They need to be brought to book. Going after two years what penalties are there? Now they say it doesnt fit in with their London operation, their website says the opposite. Hope theCouncil demands a report. nonbeliever
  • Score: 2

4:44pm Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH stevo!!
  • Score: -18

5:43pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Baffled of Brighton says...

They were ridiculously overpriced. If you wanted to have an event there, the cheapest was about £50 a head, the menu choices were weak, and they always quoted prices ex VAT to make it look a little less expensive.
Shame that hard working locals will lose thier jobs over this
They were ridiculously overpriced. If you wanted to have an event there, the cheapest was about £50 a head, the menu choices were weak, and they always quoted prices ex VAT to make it look a little less expensive. Shame that hard working locals will lose thier jobs over this Baffled of Brighton
  • Score: 12

5:45pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Mrs Newcastle says...

stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH[/p][/quote]It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others. Mrs Newcastle
  • Score: 9

6:32pm Tue 22 Jul 14

hovian says...

nonbeliever wrote:
So who appointed them in the first place? and did they do their checks on prices. They need to be brought to book. Going after two years what penalties are there? Now they say it doesnt fit in with their London operation, their website says the opposite. Hope theCouncil demands a report.
don't you realise by now this council never holds anyone to account...
[quote][p][bold]nonbeliever[/bold] wrote: So who appointed them in the first place? and did they do their checks on prices. They need to be brought to book. Going after two years what penalties are there? Now they say it doesnt fit in with their London operation, their website says the opposite. Hope theCouncil demands a report.[/p][/quote]don't you realise by now this council never holds anyone to account... hovian
  • Score: 0

6:53pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Most contracts have a penalty in them if a contractor decides to exit the contract early. The council's procurement department will have agreed a penalty and this is common practice. Contractors who leave early and choose to pay the penalty usually do so when the profit projection is poorer than the penalty. The contractor will not be allowed to comment on this as it may impact future tenders.
Sita exited its contract with the council a few years ago when it provided refuse services and decided it could not deliver the service for the price bid....it also it did not want to deal with the unions and the problems in the service. No other companies would tender for the service so the council was forced to take it in house,
The problem for the city will be that in-house services cost more than contracting out services and don't always deliver improved service levels so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Most contracts have a penalty in them if a contractor decides to exit the contract early. The council's procurement department will have agreed a penalty and this is common practice. Contractors who leave early and choose to pay the penalty usually do so when the profit projection is poorer than the penalty. The contractor will not be allowed to comment on this as it may impact future tenders. Sita exited its contract with the council a few years ago when it provided refuse services and decided it could not deliver the service for the price bid....it also it did not want to deal with the unions and the problems in the service. No other companies would tender for the service so the council was forced to take it in house, The problem for the city will be that in-house services cost more than contracting out services and don't always deliver improved service levels so it will be interesting to see what happens. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: -1

7:51pm Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Mrs Newcastle wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.
Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum.

In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Newcastle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH[/p][/quote]It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.[/p][/quote]Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum. In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others. stevo!!
  • Score: -7

8:49pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Nikski says...

stevo!! wrote:
Mrs Newcastle wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.
Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum.

In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.
You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform...
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Newcastle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH[/p][/quote]It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.[/p][/quote]Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum. In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.[/p][/quote]You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform... Nikski
  • Score: 12

9:52pm Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Nikski wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Mrs Newcastle wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.
Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum.

In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.
You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform...
I love irritating people who are stupid/nasty/ignoran
t! And on this website, there seems to be lots of them.

I don't try to misinform, but if any of my posts are factually incorrect, people are to free to point out the errors - I'm always happy to learn something new.
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Newcastle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH[/p][/quote]It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.[/p][/quote]Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum. In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.[/p][/quote]You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform...[/p][/quote]I love irritating people who are stupid/nasty/ignoran t! And on this website, there seems to be lots of them. I don't try to misinform, but if any of my posts are factually incorrect, people are to free to point out the errors - I'm always happy to learn something new. stevo!!
  • Score: -14

11:27pm Tue 22 Jul 14

hoveguyactually says...

Children please! Will you stop arguing? I can't hear myself think.

Actually, the cafe in the Royal Pavilion was fine until that company took over, making it far too upmarket, too overpriced, with waiter (and waitress) service, and the most hideous interior design imaginable. The only good thing about it is that the staff are always very friendly and helpful.
Children please! Will you stop arguing? I can't hear myself think. Actually, the cafe in the Royal Pavilion was fine until that company took over, making it far too upmarket, too overpriced, with waiter (and waitress) service, and the most hideous interior design imaginable. The only good thing about it is that the staff are always very friendly and helpful. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 2

11:27pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Nellie's Grandson says...

I thought it was just me but the votes cast every time Stevo posts a comment or someone comments on his nasty little rants prove that it is not just me. Maybe we should petition The Argus to remove this hideous troll who has not a good word to say about anyone or anything and often posts the most odious opinions. As he says above, he loves to irritate, well he succeeds and I hope I never have the misfortune to get stuck in a lift with the most miserable, obnoxious creep in Brighton. Go on have a go back Stevo, I know who will receive positive and who negative votes but get it out of your system anyway.
I thought it was just me but the votes cast every time Stevo posts a comment or someone comments on his nasty little rants prove that it is not just me. Maybe we should petition The Argus to remove this hideous troll who has not a good word to say about anyone or anything and often posts the most odious opinions. As he says above, he loves to irritate, well he succeeds and I hope I never have the misfortune to get stuck in a lift with the most miserable, obnoxious creep in Brighton. Go on have a go back Stevo, I know who will receive positive and who negative votes but get it out of your system anyway. Nellie's Grandson
  • Score: 5

11:41pm Tue 22 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

hoveguyactually wrote:
Children please! Will you stop arguing? I can't hear myself think.

Actually, the cafe in the Royal Pavilion was fine until that company took over, making it far too upmarket, too overpriced, with waiter (and waitress) service, and the most hideous interior design imaginable. The only good thing about it is that the staff are always very friendly and helpful.
Perhaps the 'core activities' in London were based on fleecing tourists?

The problem for them is that people from B&H (and surrounding areas) like to use Brighton's amenities on a daily basis. They aren't going to pay over the odds for refreshments.

Like others, I'm wondering what the company will pay (if anything) to get out of its contract.
[quote][p][bold]hoveguyactually[/bold] wrote: Children please! Will you stop arguing? I can't hear myself think. Actually, the cafe in the Royal Pavilion was fine until that company took over, making it far too upmarket, too overpriced, with waiter (and waitress) service, and the most hideous interior design imaginable. The only good thing about it is that the staff are always very friendly and helpful.[/p][/quote]Perhaps the 'core activities' in London were based on fleecing tourists? The problem for them is that people from B&H (and surrounding areas) like to use Brighton's amenities on a daily basis. They aren't going to pay over the odds for refreshments. Like others, I'm wondering what the company will pay (if anything) to get out of its contract. stevo!!
  • Score: 1

8:17am Wed 23 Jul 14

hoveguyactually says...

The whole area around the Pavilion needs a rethink. Apart from the cafe in the gardens, there is hardly anywhere to sit. The hideous seating in New Road is occupied by drunks and beggars (and pigeons) almost permanently. The toilets are quite disgusting, even though they are supervised.

The cafe itself can only function properly in fine weather. The one in the Royal Pavilion is accessible only to those with an entry ticket, while the one in the gallery of the museum is grim and rather depressing, and, like its counterpart in the Pavilion, overpriced.

The cafe on the ground floor of the museum, which is actually the bar area of the Dome, is noisy, thanks to the constant barrage of pop music and, quite often, that of screaming children.

The outside area of the Theatre Royal is fine, except for the fact that customers are pestered by the drunks and beggars. At least it is sheltered from rain and the hot sun.

Other cafes and restaurants in the area, such as Cote, Carluccios and Bills, as well as the tiny, expensive, and usually empty, tea shop adjacent to the Pavilion shop, are either very expensive, or dreary, like the Jubilee library and the ubiquitous chains such as Starbucks.

The council did Brighton and Hove no favours when it appointed Peyton and Byrne to do the catering.
The whole area around the Pavilion needs a rethink. Apart from the cafe in the gardens, there is hardly anywhere to sit. The hideous seating in New Road is occupied by drunks and beggars (and pigeons) almost permanently. The toilets are quite disgusting, even though they are supervised. The cafe itself can only function properly in fine weather. The one in the Royal Pavilion is accessible only to those with an entry ticket, while the one in the gallery of the museum is grim and rather depressing, and, like its counterpart in the Pavilion, overpriced. The cafe on the ground floor of the museum, which is actually the bar area of the Dome, is noisy, thanks to the constant barrage of pop music and, quite often, that of screaming children. The outside area of the Theatre Royal is fine, except for the fact that customers are pestered by the drunks and beggars. At least it is sheltered from rain and the hot sun. Other cafes and restaurants in the area, such as Cote, Carluccios and Bills, as well as the tiny, expensive, and usually empty, tea shop adjacent to the Pavilion shop, are either very expensive, or dreary, like the Jubilee library and the ubiquitous chains such as Starbucks. The council did Brighton and Hove no favours when it appointed Peyton and Byrne to do the catering. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 6

8:24am Wed 23 Jul 14

hoveguyactually says...

I would like to add that, in spite of the millions spent on the re-furbishment of the Dome itself, its character is a pale shadow of its former self. No longer does it feel as if it belongs to the people of B & H, but it has become an anonymous international scale monster, with a poor selection of concerts throughout the year, as well as the most appalling toilet accommodation. Well, one can't blame Peyton and Byrne for that, but their appointment did seem like a reflection of the council's policy of targeting the tourists, while forgetting about the rest of us who live here and pay the high cost of the council tax.
I would like to add that, in spite of the millions spent on the re-furbishment of the Dome itself, its character is a pale shadow of its former self. No longer does it feel as if it belongs to the people of B & H, but it has become an anonymous international scale monster, with a poor selection of concerts throughout the year, as well as the most appalling toilet accommodation. Well, one can't blame Peyton and Byrne for that, but their appointment did seem like a reflection of the council's policy of targeting the tourists, while forgetting about the rest of us who live here and pay the high cost of the council tax. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 5

8:37am Wed 23 Jul 14

No Such Thing As Common Sense Judging By Some Comments Here! says...

I find the final paragraph very telling:

" “We look forward to welcoming applications from bidders *who appreciate the uniqueness of Brighton and Hove* and can cater for what our visitors and audiences *really* want, helping us to make the Royal Pavilion Estate a world-class destination for residents and visitors."

I think that's the Pavilion Estate's way of saying that Peyton and Byrne didn't want to appreciate that Brighton is a very different proposition from Brighton. With a number of other museums, galleries and so on in London, P&B clearly came to Brighton thinking that we'd all be stupid enough to pay over the odds for stale boring cake just because it's served in a pretty building - thankfully, we're not that stupid. It was only a matter of time before the uniqueness of Brighton clashed with their plans so I am not surprised they are leaving. The Royal Pavilion and Dome really need to work out if they were duped at contract stage or if they were truly just dazzled by a 'celebrity' chef being interested in their buildings.

I've used the museum cafe and the newer cafe downstairs by the exit of the Pavilion and have been unimpressed by the food on offer BUT very impressed by the staff who are always attentive and friendly. I hope these people are going to be looked after - although I have heard that there have already been several redundancies.

Let's hope that it will be truly local people who get to tender for these sites and return them to places with individuality as soon as possible.
I find the final paragraph very telling: " “We look forward to welcoming applications from bidders *who appreciate the uniqueness of Brighton and Hove* and can cater for what our visitors and audiences *really* want, helping us to make the Royal Pavilion Estate a world-class destination for residents and visitors." I think that's the Pavilion Estate's way of saying that Peyton and Byrne didn't want to appreciate that Brighton is a very different proposition from Brighton. With a number of other museums, galleries and so on in London, P&B clearly came to Brighton thinking that we'd all be stupid enough to pay over the odds for stale boring cake just because it's served in a pretty building - thankfully, we're not that stupid. It was only a matter of time before the uniqueness of Brighton clashed with their plans so I am not surprised they are leaving. The Royal Pavilion and Dome really need to work out if they were duped at contract stage or if they were truly just dazzled by a 'celebrity' chef being interested in their buildings. I've used the museum cafe and the newer cafe downstairs by the exit of the Pavilion and have been unimpressed by the food on offer BUT very impressed by the staff who are always attentive and friendly. I hope these people are going to be looked after - although I have heard that there have already been several redundancies. Let's hope that it will be truly local people who get to tender for these sites and return them to places with individuality as soon as possible. No Such Thing As Common Sense Judging By Some Comments Here!
  • Score: 8

8:41am Wed 23 Jul 14

No Such Thing As Common Sense Judging By Some Comments Here! says...

hoveguyactually wrote:
I would like to add that, in spite of the millions spent on the re-furbishment of the Dome itself, its character is a pale shadow of its former self. No longer does it feel as if it belongs to the people of B & H, but it has become an anonymous international scale monster, with a poor selection of concerts throughout the year, as well as the most appalling toilet accommodation. Well, one can't blame Peyton and Byrne for that, but their appointment did seem like a reflection of the council's policy of targeting the tourists, while forgetting about the rest of us who live here and pay the high cost of the council tax.
@Hoveguyactually - Brighton Dome is not owned by the Council - hasn't been for many many years . . .
[quote][p][bold]hoveguyactually[/bold] wrote: I would like to add that, in spite of the millions spent on the re-furbishment of the Dome itself, its character is a pale shadow of its former self. No longer does it feel as if it belongs to the people of B & H, but it has become an anonymous international scale monster, with a poor selection of concerts throughout the year, as well as the most appalling toilet accommodation. Well, one can't blame Peyton and Byrne for that, but their appointment did seem like a reflection of the council's policy of targeting the tourists, while forgetting about the rest of us who live here and pay the high cost of the council tax.[/p][/quote]@Hoveguyactually - Brighton Dome is not owned by the Council - hasn't been for many many years . . . No Such Thing As Common Sense Judging By Some Comments Here!
  • Score: 1

9:44am Wed 23 Jul 14

nonbeliever says...

S are you saying you should put the blame on Andrew Comben who runs the Dome? What about Janita Bagshawe who runs the pavilion? They put out a joint statement and they must have been responsible for awarding the contract. Will they or should they be put on the spot? I bet nobody gets even a mild tap on the wrist. They put out the stories of how wonderful it all would be why dont they accept the responsibility?
S are you saying you should put the blame on Andrew Comben who runs the Dome? What about Janita Bagshawe who runs the pavilion? They put out a joint statement and they must have been responsible for awarding the contract. Will they or should they be put on the spot? I bet nobody gets even a mild tap on the wrist. They put out the stories of how wonderful it all would be why dont they accept the responsibility? nonbeliever
  • Score: 6

12:11pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Fairfax Aches says...

stevo!! wrote:
Nikski wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Mrs Newcastle wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Andy R wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
s&k wrote:
So, what do we glean from this?
It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely.

Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.
"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do."

Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........
Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.
Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is.

In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.
Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees.

OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant.

I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information.

Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said.

HTH
It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.
Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum.

In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.
You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform...
I love irritating people who are stupid/nasty/ignoran

t! And on this website, there seems to be lots of them.

I don't try to misinform, but if any of my posts are factually incorrect, people are to free to point out the errors - I'm always happy to learn something new.
Gooooooo....Stevo!
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Newcastle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: So, what do we glean from this?[/p][/quote]It appears that the council is almost begging them to stay - note the two references to the amount of money P&B invested, as if to say it's losing it entirely. Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do.[/p][/quote]"Quite why unions are being consulted isn't clear - if a job no longer exists, there is nothing the union can do." Oh dear......more "stevofacts" to ignore..........[/p][/quote]Thank you for admitting that my question was too difficult for you to answer.[/p][/quote]Except I didn't. You didn't ask a question - you just stated another one of your "facts". You know.....one of those wild statements which you spew out at regular intervals, and which is a "fact" purely because you say it is. In this case, as so often, it was just ill-informed nonsense.[/p][/quote]Oh dear.......I really should start charging fees. OED 'question' - "A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information" The presence or absence of a question mark is irrelevant. I pointed out that I wasn't aware as to why the unions had been consulted. The way was open for anyone with the required level of intelligence and knowledge of this situation to provide information. Your failure to do so was an admission that the request was too difficult for you........just like I said. HTH[/p][/quote]It is the ones who feel bad about themselves who spout the most venomous criticisms of others in a misguided attempt to elevate themselves by seeking to diminish others.[/p][/quote]Everyone will have their own reasons for posting on a forum. In most cases their posts show that they are trying to educate and inform others.[/p][/quote]You being the exception stevo who generally posts nonsense to irritate and misinform...[/p][/quote]I love irritating people who are stupid/nasty/ignoran t! And on this website, there seems to be lots of them. I don't try to misinform, but if any of my posts are factually incorrect, people are to free to point out the errors - I'm always happy to learn something new.[/p][/quote]Gooooooo....Stevo! Fairfax Aches
  • Score: 1

3:24pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Tom V says...

I wonder if they had a break clause in the contract, allowing them to bail out after two years with no or minimal penalties.
I wonder if they had a break clause in the contract, allowing them to bail out after two years with no or minimal penalties. Tom V
  • Score: 3

5:31pm Wed 23 Jul 14

lozzz31 says...

Their cakes were vile, and overpriced, anyway - good riddance!
Their cakes were vile, and overpriced, anyway - good riddance! lozzz31
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree