Chris Jordan’s tremendous form has been rewarded by a first Test call.
Sussex team-mate Matt Prior is also in England's squad for the first Investec Test against Sri Lanka at Lord's next week.
Jordan produced two man-of-the-match performances in England's Royal London one-day international series defeat against the same opponents, which concluded in a controversial decider at Edgbaston on Tuesday.
His performances clearly impressed ODI and Test captain Alastair Cook.
Prior returns having been dropped for the final two Ashes Tests in the winter.
Since then he has suffered with an Achilles injury which put his return to the Test squad in doubt but the wicketkeeper-batsman proved his fitness in Sussex’s four-day game with Nottinghamshire this week.
Prior gets the nod despite a clamour for Jos Buttler to be handed a Test debut.
Jordan is one of three uncapped players in the squad, the others being opener Sam Robson and all-rounder Moeen Ali.
Seamer Liam Plunkett – who last played Test cricket seven years ago – is named in the 12-man squad and pace bowler Chris Woakes is also included.
England squad: AN Cook (capt), MM Ali, JM Anderson, GS Ballance, IR Bell, SCJ Broad, CJ Jordan, LE Plunkett, MJ Prior (wkt), SD Robson, JE Root, CR Woakes.
- Keep off! Albion issue warning as FA quiz club over pitch invasion
- "You couldn't hear anything but boos". Twenty years on from the last game at the Goldstone Steve Gritt reveals how he went from zero to hero as Albion manager
- Knockaert insists he has nothing to prove in the Premier League
- Albion winger admits injury made him fear he may never be the same again
- Woodman unsure about his future after keeping Hawks up