Chris Jordan’s tremendous form has been rewarded by a first Test call.
Sussex team-mate Matt Prior is also in England's squad for the first Investec Test against Sri Lanka at Lord's next week.
Jordan produced two man-of-the-match performances in England's Royal London one-day international series defeat against the same opponents, which concluded in a controversial decider at Edgbaston on Tuesday.
His performances clearly impressed ODI and Test captain Alastair Cook.
Prior returns having been dropped for the final two Ashes Tests in the winter.
Since then he has suffered with an Achilles injury which put his return to the Test squad in doubt but the wicketkeeper-batsman proved his fitness in Sussex’s four-day game with Nottinghamshire this week.
Prior gets the nod despite a clamour for Jos Buttler to be handed a Test debut.
Jordan is one of three uncapped players in the squad, the others being opener Sam Robson and all-rounder Moeen Ali.
Seamer Liam Plunkett – who last played Test cricket seven years ago – is named in the 12-man squad and pace bowler Chris Woakes is also included.
England squad: AN Cook (capt), MM Ali, JM Anderson, GS Ballance, IR Bell, SCJ Broad, CJ Jordan, LE Plunkett, MJ Prior (wkt), SD Robson, JE Root, CR Woakes.
- Knockaert hails Albion penalty hero Stockdale after dramatic win
- Albion boss Hughton praises team's character and quality
- Two-goal Knockaert, plus Stockdale penalty save, send Seagulls back to top spot. How we reported the action
- Albion captain ruled out of crunch promotion clash at the Amex
- Testing times but Skalak is still putting in a shift, says his boss