At the end of the 19th century there were 23 pubs in and around London Road, Brighton, and a further 25 up to the railway.
Only nine remain today and among the casualties is the Shepherd & Dog, pictured here in 1922. It was a quiet pub used mainly by regulars and suffered as drinking habits changed.
Originally a private house built about 200 years ago, it was demolished in the 1960s. It belonged to the Brighton-based Kemp Town Brewery.
- Picture and information from London Road: Brighton’s First Suburb (London Road Social History Group, £11.50)