The Bedford Hotel was one of the finest on Brighton seafront. It was designed by Thomas Cooper, who also planned the Town Hall, and opened in 1829.
It was patronised by many celebrities including Charles Dickens and a plaque to him was unveiled there last year to mark the 200th anniversary of his birth.
Sadly and suspiciously, the hotel was destroyed by fire in 1964 and two people were killed. A preservation order was being discussed at the time. It was replaced by an ugly building, half hotel and half apartments. Once a Hilton, it later became a Holiday Inn.
This picture is from Brighton Through Time by Judy Middleton (Amberley, £12.99).