A window cleaner from Chichester has been jailed after burgling more than 12 homes.
Daniel Hobden, 30, of Victoria Drive was caught out when a resident in East Row heard his flat window open and close and realised money had gone missing.
He was arrested when he was seen trying to discard the money.
He was found guilty on November 8 at Brighton Crown Court for the burglary on July 19.
When he was sentenced the court heard Hobden had been previously convicted of more than 12 burglaries.
He was jailed for three years.
DC David Midgley of West Sussex CID said: "This is an example of a quick-thinking homeowner assisting police to bring an offender to justice.
"The sentence handed down also shows just how seriously the courts view individuals who choose to commit crime in our homes.
"I believe this sentence sends out a strong deterrent to would-be burglars that if you commit crime in Sussex you will be actively pursued, arrested and prosecuted."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Councillor, 73, arrested and quizzed after wife, 47, stabbed
- Families fear Portslade playground has been 'forgotten’ by Brighton and Hove City Councillors
- Katie Price says there are "just too many roadworks" in Brighton
- Town councillor in court over attempted murder of his wife
- Nine shipping containers to house businesses