Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Man rescued from burning Worthing flat
12:24pm Sunday 18th November 2012 in News
A man in his 60s had to be resuscitated after being rescued from his Worthing flat when it caught alight.
An off duty policeman spotted the blaze in Clarence Court on Brighton Road at 5.15pm on Saturday (November 17).
Fire crews found the man unconscious on the lounge floor and rescucitated him on the landing after rescuing him from the burning flat.
He was overcome by smoke from the kitchen fire, started by food left on the cooker.
It is believed he had fallen asleep after putting the food on.
The battery had been removed from the flat's fire alarm.
Roy Barraclough, deputy district commander for Worthing and Adur, said: “This is another serious fire where a smoke alarm has been fitted in the property but the battery has been removed and the consequences could have been even worse than they are.
“Please test your alarms to check they are in working condition as smoke alarms save lives.”
Comments are closed on this article.