Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- What happened to Penny's bags after her death? Family's plea to find dead mother's possessions
- Hate crimes soar by 40% in just a year
- Ukip claims to have up to 40% support
- Concern growing for missing woman last seen leaving home at 4am
- Father arrested and held in the cells overnight after daubing “lies lies lies” on Tory election poster