Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- One of Brighton's oldest shops could be torn down to make way for entrance to new shopping square
- She said yes! Couple get engaged in photo booth only to leave the pictures in the back of a cab
- Van driver should have faced prosecution for blocking ambulance on emergency call to fitting baby
- The lights are green! Why aren't you moving? Confused driver gets stuck in temporary taxi rank
- Going under the knife with a difference - £2 million robot performs surgery on patients