Hundreds of people marched through Brighton in the dark to reclaim the city’s streets.
Coordinated by the Brighton Feminist Collective, set up at the end of last year, the march was prompted by the “prevalence of street harassment and sexual assaults in Brighton and Hove”.
On Saturday evening (November 17) about 500 people walked through some of the city’s ‘no-go areas’ after dark, including West Street, along the seafront and down St James’ Street.
A spokeswoman said: “Too often we are denied the right to walk through the streets without fear of harassment or assault, especially at night.
“It’s rare to be able to walk down West Street without being cat-called.
“Figures show that street harassment, especially towards women, is a real problem in the city.”
The march was not just open to women, with other groups who have recently become victims on the city’s streets also invited to join, such as the homeless.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Bonfire society to charge an admission fee for the first time to Lewes biggest fireworks night event
- Broken radiotherapy machine delays treatment for cancer patients
- One hundred lucky fans meet YouTube star Zoella
- Halloween garden for fright night fans
- It wasn't cold enough for dying girl to wear wig says school's head teacher