Union members at the University of Sussex took to the campus to protest about the privatisation of some services.
They say bosses have not told them which companies it is speaking to about running its catering, estates and facilities and conference services.
The changes will mean 235 staff will be transferred to private firms.
The unions described the current bidding process as “poorly considered and secretive” and called on the university to start consulting properly with staff.
Protesters handed out flyers outside the Arts Piazza Café at the university as well as holding placards.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- MasterChef winner to open his first restaurant in the city
- Your chance to gain a grant from Pride cash
- Taxi companies set to fight for your custom as Uber launches in Brighton and Hove
- £47 million A27 improvement will save drivers less than 15 seconds
- Government minister may have misled Parliament over details of ambulance transport crisis