Union members at the University of Sussex took to the campus to protest about the privatisation of some services.
They say bosses have not told them which companies it is speaking to about running its catering, estates and facilities and conference services.
The changes will mean 235 staff will be transferred to private firms.
The unions described the current bidding process as “poorly considered and secretive” and called on the university to start consulting properly with staff.
Protesters handed out flyers outside the Arts Piazza Café at the university as well as holding placards.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Crash victims in fight for life
- Scam gang conned elderly out of £250k
- Builders divert Victorian sewer pipe under i360
- In The Dock: Nine people who have appeared in court from Brighton and Hove
- Terminally ill music star records track to save polar bears