Union members at the University of Sussex took to the campus to protest about the privatisation of some services.
They say bosses have not told them which companies it is speaking to about running its catering, estates and facilities and conference services.
The changes will mean 235 staff will be transferred to private firms.
The unions described the current bidding process as “poorly considered and secretive” and called on the university to start consulting properly with staff.
Protesters handed out flyers outside the Arts Piazza Café at the university as well as holding placards.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Enough is enough - end this train misery
- Officers ‘stripped suicidal woman’ and left her in cell
- Judges voice concern over jailing of grandmother in social services dispute
- Medic claiming £1.5 damages later won a mum's race dressed as Peppa Pig
- Mini musicians in schools’ festive gig