A robber wielded a kitchen knife as he demanded cash from a newsagents.
The man confronted shop assistant Nasir Bolis at the Yummies SB shop in Western Road yesterday morning (November 25).
He left empty-handed. Police arrested a man nearby and were questioning him yesterday afternoon.
The raid happened at about 11.20am.
Mr Bolis said: “He came up to the till and said, “Money, money”.
“I was in shock, he had a 30-centimetre kitchen knife.”
Elia Bols, the manager’s son, said the shop has not been targeted before.
He said: “My colleague was very shaken.”
The robber was white, in his 20s, slim, wearing a grey top and grey tracksuit trousers.
Sussex Police said officers were already in the area, patrolling a protest at the nearby Eco-Stream shop, when they were called from the shop.
They arrested a 22-year-old man on suspicion of attempted robbery.
Anyone who saw what happened is asked to call Sussex Police on 101, quoting serial 755 of November 25.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATE: Father of Brighton jihadi brothers who fled to fight in Syria has 'gone to save last surviving son'
- Pair of hedgehogs stolen from animal charity's enclosure
- Person falls from high wall near Palace Pier and another rescued from water near Marina
- Archive of Brighton Rock film legend to go under the hammer
- Man rescued by beach after becoming trapped by rising tide