Homelessness on the rise in Brighton and Hove

Homelessness on the rise in Brighton and Hove

A rough sleeper in a shop doorway in Brighton

Rough sleepers Bill Paton and Vicky Skinner huddled in a shop doorway

Homeless people Bill Paton and Vicky Skinner

First published in News by , Assistant News Editor

The number of people sleeping rough on city streets is officially on the rise.

Police and housing workers found 43 people bedding down in doorways, parks and graveyards in their annual headcount on Friday, up 16% on last year.

Charities say the true total could be twice as bad and warn the situation will continue to worsen.

The Argus joined Brighton and Hove City Council for the count early on Friday morning (November 22).

The total of 43 was up on the 37 people found last year, and 14 rough sleepers in 2010, when a different counting method was used.

Council leader Jason Kitcat said the authority had spent a million pounds more on homeless services this year than planned.

He said: “We are seeing a growing pressure on our homelessness services and the voluntary sector, and unfortunately there is less money to go round for all involved in trying to deal with this issue.”

Earlier this year St Patrick’s Homeless Shelter in Hove closed, depriving the city of a permanent overnight base.

Seven churches have stepped in to provide beds over most of the winter, but concern remains that services are becoming stretched as homelessness and poverty grow.

Julian Haddow, who runs Project Antifreeze for the homelessness charity Off The Fence, said he believed the numbers found by the council on Friday are an underestimate.

He said: “On Monday and Tuesday last week we worked with 61 rough sleepers.”

James Crane, of the council’s Housing Options teams, told The Argus the results were “a snapshot”.

It's a rough way to live

It was 2am and seven teams of police officers, councillors and agency workers were marching around Brighton.

Each had a set route, and was armed with torches and a code word to alert the rest of the team to danger.

The city’s homeless count came with a lengthy safety document which warned people not to tower above people in an intimidating way or crouch down, which would prevent a quick getaway.

Running your hands down car park banisters or pushing open doors with bare hands is a no-no in case there are discarded needles or blood.

It made for sobering reading.

The brief before the count’s 1am start took a different tone. James Crane, from the council’s housing options team, told us: “Be aware – these places are people’s bedrooms, it’s where they sleep, so keep your voices down.”

We were asked to respect people’s privacy. They may be curled up in the doorway on Brighton’s busy public streets, but for tonight, and probably many other nights, that space is all they have to call home.

Counting guidelines

The numbers we were collecting go to the Government, which uses the figures to check if resources are in the right places to deal with the problem.

For the first time this year the count took place in Eastbourne and Hastings on the same evening in an attempt to record the most accurate figures and ensure no one is counted twice.

The count follows strict guidelines – people must be bedded down, or about to bed down, in a public place such as a street or in a doorway, not designed for habitation.

Anyone in a hostel, shelter or squat does not go on our list.

And it is the only time of the year workers are not out to support or engage with people who are homeless, or even wake them up.

James added: “This is a snapshot. We’re not going to find everyone who is out there. It’s impossible to go everywhere.”

And on a wet night such as Thursday, with driving rain and relentless howling wind, we hoped some people had found shelter inside.

The teams covered most of the city – along the seafront from the Marina to Babylon Lounge, and most of the city’s parks as well as streets.

Our team was made up of James, Sussex Police’s PCSO Chris Wareham, who specialises in working with homeless people, and Councillor Ollie Sykes, who is on a panel that is currently looking at homelessness in the city.

We are led by Berni Callanan, an outreach worker with Brighton’s Rough Sleepers Team whose work usually starts at 5am, and set off on our route around the city centre.

Jobs myth

He tells me the myth of the abundance of jobs in the city which often brings people to Brighton. Weeks later, he said, still unemployed and savings spent, they find themselves on the streets.

After searching through the bushes of the Pavilion gardens – somewhere I hope no one is forced to sleep in such horrific weather – we looked around some of the city’s car parks, hands kept well away from the rails in the stairwells.

The first people we came across were a young couple, probably in their late teens, sitting in their sleeping bags in the doorway of a derelict building on a busy Brighton street.

James said they were known to the teams and had been given somewhere to sleep that night. But for some reason they were back sleeping rough.

The team didn’t stop to talk to them, Berni nodded hello and we continued on our route.

Seeing such a young couple on the streets came as a shock. Where is their support network of family and friends? Suddenly I felt extremely fortunate.

The list of people we spot lengthened as we made our way around the city. One man was bedded down in a graveyard. Another three were curled up in shop doorways.

First Base

The third had only been in the city for two weeks. He didn’t know about First Base – a well-known day centre run by the Brighton Housing Trust – which came as a surprise to Berni.

First Base helps people who are sleeping rough or who are insecurely housed to get off the streets and runs several services.

Some of the people we came across were already known to Berni. He warned us not to approach one man curled up with his dog – and on cue the animal began to growl, protecting its owner.

Another man had found himself a quiet spot, hidden away from the main streets and was listening to a stereo, sitting up in his sleeping bag.

In stark contrast Vicky Skinner, 29, and Bill Paton, 50, were sitting in a doorway in one of the city’s busiest streets, accompanied by a collie dog that Vicky rescued from a bin.

They told me they had chosen the large doorway because it is set back from the pavement enough to give them shelter from the rain and there was enough space for two people and a dog.

'Comfortable' doorway

Some nights they get lucky and the heater in the ceiling is on, blowing hot air down on to them. But not tonight.

Vicky describes the doorway as “nice and comfortable” and said it is an ideal location, because they don’t get moved on by the police.

“It is like SAS training,” said Bill, who has been homeless on and off since he was 11.

The pair chatted to people walking by, who were on their way home from a night out. Some offered them cigarettes. One man bought a portion of hot chips for the pair, who were both wearing several coats and were also wrapped up in sleeping bags.

“If you treat people with respect they will give it back to you,” said Bill.

In total we came across ten people sleeping rough. Last year the homeless count was 37. When we got back to the office the figure was 47.

By the morning the number had dropped down to 43 after all 47 on the lists were cross-referenced.

The increasing figure is not a surprise in the economic climate and as welfare cuts begin to bite.

Most of those working for charities dealing with the city’s homeless problem believe the figure is much higher.

Targeted approach

In response to Brighton and Hove’s homeless problem, professionals have worked on a ‘targeted approach’.

James Crane, from the council’s housing options team, said over the years things have been changed to make it as easy as possible for people to move off the streets and get help.

Homeless people placed in hostels often choose to go back out and sleep on the streets.

In an attempt to break the cycle psychologists work with people in the city’s hostels.

Clinical nurses also work in hostels, building up a relationship with clients and are there to discuss any problems when people are ready to talk.

James said: “A lot of what we’re talking about here is behaviour change.

“When people are ready to make the change the services are there or if they have to wait we make sure they keep their motivation going.”

A ‘No Second Night Out’ worker was employed this year in an attempt to stop people sleeping |on the streets for more than two weeks, avoiding becoming |entrenched in homeless life.

The city also has three six-bed working hostels, which are more like shared houses.

People living there want to work and are given experience and training to get them back into a job.
James said: “There isn’t a one size fits all.

“We are targeting our responses to what the problems are.”

Special reports

This is the first in a series of special reports on Brighton and Hove's rough sleepers and proverty crisis, investigating the tide of debt, hunger and homelessness.

Pick up tomorrow's Argus for our report on the growing number of people relying on food handouts to survive.

 

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (45)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:51pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives.

However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's.

I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there.

Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers).

That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway!
When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives. However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's. I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there. Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers). That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway! Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Mon 26 Nov 12

PorkBoat says...

Algeria Touchshriek wrote:
When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives.

However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's.

I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there.

Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers).

That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway!
Remember, they make £300-400 a day begging as well. I seen it in the papers and on the telly! So it must be true!
[quote][p][bold]Algeria Touchshriek[/bold] wrote: When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives. However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's. I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there. Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers). That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway![/p][/quote]Remember, they make £300-400 a day begging as well. I seen it in the papers and on the telly! So it must be true! PorkBoat
  • Score: 0

3:13pm Mon 26 Nov 12

lillylou says...

omg cameron is on here you horrid person,how dare you say these things yes ive heard in london some have been known to get money but not that much,these people are on the streets cos some have simply given up yhe battle with life i suppose you may be one of those women who expect hubby to pay for you and if your a BLOKE than you are not


been dealt a bad hand but who knows it may well be you homeless next year
omg cameron is on here you horrid person,how dare you say these things yes ive heard in london some have been known to get money but not that much,these people are on the streets cos some have simply given up yhe battle with life i suppose you may be one of those women who expect hubby to pay for you and if your a BLOKE than you are not been dealt a bad hand but who knows it may well be you homeless next year lillylou
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Tring says...

Algeria Touchshriek wrote:
When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives.

However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's.

I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there.

Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers).

That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway!
Is this post a joke?

Given that blind ignorance, smug complacency and 'I'm all right Jack' is pretty much the norm around here, I fear that it isn't.
[quote][p][bold]Algeria Touchshriek[/bold] wrote: When you see people asleep in doorways, all ragged and hungry I suppose some people may take pity and throw them a few coins. Others, with a more hearty approach may buy them a hot meal or coffee. Others may even give them a noce clean tailor made cigarette. After all, even though smoking is bad for you perhaps they need and crave the nicotine in their poor desperate lives. However, before you part with your cash or ciggie you have to remember that the homeless are there out of choice - their choice, not yours or society's. I choose to work and live in a home, therefore I do not require "street charity". That is my bed and I have laid in it. They have made their bed from some old cardboard boxes and damp blankets and CHOOSE to lay there. Also, and this is a fact because I read it in The Daily Mail a while back, nearly all so called" homeless" people live in luxury apartments, drive Bentley's or Mercs and listen to music like Kris Kristofferson (or other "homely" singers). That is why I can not feel sad for them. No doubt there are some genuine cases - say 1 out of every 400 or so, and I even saw a tramp in Brighton with no teeth shouting at cars and buses. I can only assume he was sufferring from a mental illness, not least because he wasn't wearing an anorak and it was blooming cold. Too cold to be shouting at buses willy nilly anyway![/p][/quote]Is this post a joke? Given that blind ignorance, smug complacency and 'I'm all right Jack' is pretty much the norm around here, I fear that it isn't. Tring
  • Score: 0

3:22pm Mon 26 Nov 12

banargustrolls says...

"sitting up in his sleeping back."
How on earth do you do that? #Southampton subs fail#

There's regular homeless I've spotted behind the Clarendon centre near the station.
"sitting up in his sleeping back." How on earth do you do that? #Southampton subs fail# There's regular homeless I've spotted behind the Clarendon centre near the station. banargustrolls
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Mon 26 Nov 12

NickBrt says...

Empty words Jason Kitecat, get on and DO something. We are talking about PEOPLE here. But I guess you and your lot have more important things on your minds like 1) should people be allowed to be called Mr and Mrs and 2) should shops be allowed to sell pink bikes. Rivetting stuff that, don't worry if a few people get cold at night as long as you're doing something important.
Empty words Jason Kitecat, get on and DO something. We are talking about PEOPLE here. But I guess you and your lot have more important things on your minds like 1) should people be allowed to be called Mr and Mrs and 2) should shops be allowed to sell pink bikes. Rivetting stuff that, don't worry if a few people get cold at night as long as you're doing something important. NickBrt
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Morpheus says...

I am sure that the increase in street sleepers is correct but this report is very subjective and does nothing to identify the real cause of the problem. We do not even know whether these people are from Brighton or have just arrived here.
I am sure that the increase in street sleepers is correct but this report is very subjective and does nothing to identify the real cause of the problem. We do not even know whether these people are from Brighton or have just arrived here. Morpheus
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Mon 26 Nov 12

sussexram40 says...

It's quite simple really - the numbers are up because there are more people seen on the streets. What the study doesn't do is inform us how many of these people are 1) really homeless or it's just their job or 2) are living that lifestyle out of choice, and also how many are 'working' as in they pitch up on the street with a dog and some cardboard and work till late in the evening, make a couple of hundred and then pack up, go back to their car and drive home.
It's quite simple really - the numbers are up because there are more people seen on the streets. What the study doesn't do is inform us how many of these people are 1) really homeless or it's just their job or 2) are living that lifestyle out of choice, and also how many are 'working' as in they pitch up on the street with a dog and some cardboard and work till late in the evening, make a couple of hundred and then pack up, go back to their car and drive home. sussexram40
  • Score: 0

5:48pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Sussex jim says...

Bring back the workhouse. It's the only way. A bed for the night, a chance to wash, and perhaps some surplus food donated by the supermarkets. And then repaid in the morning with an hour or two of work.
Bring back the workhouse. It's the only way. A bed for the night, a chance to wash, and perhaps some surplus food donated by the supermarkets. And then repaid in the morning with an hour or two of work. Sussex jim
  • Score: 0

5:49pm Mon 26 Nov 12

KarenT says...

A number of homeless people referred to in this article aren't from Brighton - as the writer says they are "lured by myth of the abundance of jobs in the city". They are choosing to come here. And it's not just about jobs - it's about the "decadent lifestyle" that Brighton has a reputation for, as well as the belief that Brighton has an abundance of hostels for homeless people. Despite the fact that there is an extreme shortage at the moment in this respect, Brighton does in fact have an above average network of hostels and accommodation available for the homeless and drug addicts compared to many other towns and cities. It's a Catch 22 - you expand on these facilities and more will come, there is absolutely no way of getting away from that fact. Homelessness and drug addiction is a national problem - it's just that we have more than our fair share for the reasons stated above. Create more hostels, the problem gets bigger, what do you do? Shall we just turn the whole of Brighton into one big homeless hostel town? Another issue this article highlights, is the situation where that young couple were found a place to sleep, yet they were back on the streets later on. Why? Because too often they object to the curfews and expectations placed upon them by the hostels. This is another factor that can drain sympathy from the public. I think it's awful that anyone, EVER, ends up homeless, but the facts are, too often, it is through circumstances that are created by those who are experiencing it.
A number of homeless people referred to in this article aren't from Brighton - as the writer says they are "lured by myth of the abundance of jobs in the city". They are choosing to come here. And it's not just about jobs - it's about the "decadent lifestyle" that Brighton has a reputation for, as well as the belief that Brighton has an abundance of hostels for homeless people. Despite the fact that there is an extreme shortage at the moment in this respect, Brighton does in fact have an above average network of hostels and accommodation available for the homeless and drug addicts compared to many other towns and cities. It's a Catch 22 - you expand on these facilities and more will come, there is absolutely no way of getting away from that fact. Homelessness and drug addiction is a national problem - it's just that we have more than our fair share for the reasons stated above. Create more hostels, the problem gets bigger, what do you do? Shall we just turn the whole of Brighton into one big homeless hostel town? Another issue this article highlights, is the situation where that young couple were found a place to sleep, yet they were back on the streets later on. Why? Because too often they object to the curfews and expectations placed upon them by the hostels. This is another factor that can drain sympathy from the public. I think it's awful that anyone, EVER, ends up homeless, but the facts are, too often, it is through circumstances that are created by those who are experiencing it. KarenT
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Mon 26 Nov 12

SGK2000 says...

Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here.
Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'.
Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here. Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'. SGK2000
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Mon 26 Nov 12

SGK2000 says...

Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here.
Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'.
Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here. Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'. SGK2000
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hoarder12345444 says...

He tells me the myth of the abundance of jobs in the city which often brings people to Brighton. Weeks later, he said, still unemployed and savings spent, they find themselves on the streets"


If this quote is genuinely true that people up sticks in search of work and then end up with no money, then there are pretty stupid people out there! Who makes such a rash judgement?
He tells me the myth of the abundance of jobs in the city which often brings people to Brighton. Weeks later, he said, still unemployed and savings spent, they find themselves on the streets" If this quote is genuinely true that people up sticks in search of work and then end up with no money, then there are pretty stupid people out there! Who makes such a rash judgement? Hoarder12345444
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

Having read all the above comments I am left feeling sick to the core.

There is no need for these poor people to be out there in all weather, struggling in the way that they do.

That's right, society could take care of them straight away.....simply have them locked away, turned cold turkey and then repatriate them to wherever they originated.

Job done!
Having read all the above comments I am left feeling sick to the core. There is no need for these poor people to be out there in all weather, struggling in the way that they do. That's right, society could take care of them straight away.....simply have them locked away, turned cold turkey and then repatriate them to wherever they originated. Job done! Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hove Actually says...

They have some really stupid rules for classing someone as sleeping rough.

Sad to say that rough sleepers like the Travellers, and HIV Centre of excellence and the dubious title of drug death capitol of the UK, build it and they will come......
They have some really stupid rules for classing someone as sleeping rough. Sad to say that rough sleepers like the Travellers, and HIV Centre of excellence and the dubious title of drug death capitol of the UK, build it and they will come...... Hove Actually
  • Score: 0

9:26pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Dirk Von Roden says...

I see the trolls are on form tonight!
Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc !
I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle!
I see the trolls are on form tonight! Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc ! I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle! Dirk Von Roden
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Mon 26 Nov 12

just-a-person says...

Dirk Von Roden wrote:
I see the trolls are on form tonight!
Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc !
I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle!
Totally agree with you.

Algeria Touchshriek should go and spend some time with them instead of sitting here with his narrow minded comments yet again. It might make him a better person.
[quote][p][bold]Dirk Von Roden[/bold] wrote: I see the trolls are on form tonight! Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc ! I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle![/p][/quote]Totally agree with you. Algeria Touchshriek should go and spend some time with them instead of sitting here with his narrow minded comments yet again. It might make him a better person. just-a-person
  • Score: 0

11:08pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Do you really think the quaint people of Brighton and hove want the council to give a grant to the homeless?
No the council would rather look away and view their beautiful vanity projects of re sculpting the Level, or building a new cycle lane over the existing cycle lane on the Lewes Road, or lend money to a viewing platform where rich families can pay £35 to take their children to view the sea, or create an arts festival where people can read poetry about the homeless in a pub turned theatre for £15 a ticket.
Help the poor? This council? You must be mad.
Do you really think the quaint people of Brighton and hove want the council to give a grant to the homeless? No the council would rather look away and view their beautiful vanity projects of re sculpting the Level, or building a new cycle lane over the existing cycle lane on the Lewes Road, or lend money to a viewing platform where rich families can pay £35 to take their children to view the sea, or create an arts festival where people can read poetry about the homeless in a pub turned theatre for £15 a ticket. Help the poor? This council? You must be mad. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Mon 26 Nov 12

mictrix says...

you've got to love these "homeless" lol
they fleece the soft touch public with their sad looking little dogs and their filthy greasy hair.then its a back to the cosy warm little flat for a nice meal,some tv then off to bed before it all starts over again hahahahaha way to go!
you've got to love these "homeless" lol they fleece the soft touch public with their sad looking little dogs and their filthy greasy hair.then its a back to the cosy warm little flat for a nice meal,some tv then off to bed before it all starts over again hahahahaha way to go! mictrix
  • Score: 0

12:24am Tue 27 Nov 12

PorkBoat says...

just-a-person wrote:
Dirk Von Roden wrote:
I see the trolls are on form tonight!
Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc !
I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle!
Totally agree with you.

Algeria Touchshriek should go and spend some time with them instead of sitting here with his narrow minded comments yet again. It might make him a better person.
Where did the famous "British sense of humour" go?
[quote][p][bold]just-a-person[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dirk Von Roden[/bold] wrote: I see the trolls are on form tonight! Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc ! I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle![/p][/quote]Totally agree with you. Algeria Touchshriek should go and spend some time with them instead of sitting here with his narrow minded comments yet again. It might make him a better person.[/p][/quote]Where did the famous "British sense of humour" go? PorkBoat
  • Score: 0

8:14am Tue 27 Nov 12

Goldenwight says...

Hove Actually wrote:
They have some really stupid rules for classing someone as sleeping rough.

Sad to say that rough sleepers like the Travellers, and HIV Centre of excellence and the dubious title of drug death capitol of the UK, build it and they will come......
You aren't wrong there. A few years ago, Winchester City Council did THEIR annual count at about 8pm. Obviously, nobody is going to be sleeping rough at that time. And anyone who was not clearly asleep- even if they were quite clearly intending to sleep rough- was not counted. They came up with the amazing figure ot two rough sleepers. At that time there were at least a dozen regular rough sleepers in town, and that isn't even counting the transients and one-offs. But, since the Government want to under-estimate the figures, this is quite a common thing. There is no standard method to these counts so that the Worthing figure and the Arun figure can't even be compared.

And like several posts say, having good facilities for the homeless will cause transients to gravitate towards an area.
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: They have some really stupid rules for classing someone as sleeping rough. Sad to say that rough sleepers like the Travellers, and HIV Centre of excellence and the dubious title of drug death capitol of the UK, build it and they will come......[/p][/quote]You aren't wrong there. A few years ago, Winchester City Council did THEIR annual count at about 8pm. Obviously, nobody is going to be sleeping rough at that time. And anyone who was not clearly asleep- even if they were quite clearly intending to sleep rough- was not counted. They came up with the amazing figure ot two rough sleepers. At that time there were at least a dozen regular rough sleepers in town, and that isn't even counting the transients and one-offs. But, since the Government want to under-estimate the figures, this is quite a common thing. There is no standard method to these counts so that the Worthing figure and the Arun figure can't even be compared. And like several posts say, having good facilities for the homeless will cause transients to gravitate towards an area. Goldenwight
  • Score: 0

8:17am Tue 27 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

Why would I want to spend some time with homeless people? I honestly fail to see why that will make me a better person.

If you read what I have said, I am in agreement that some homeless people are destitute but so many are wealthy entrepreurs.

Consider this. How many fancy dress parties are there in reality? Apart from halloween I haven't been to one for years. Now go to ebay or amazon and see how many fake and fancy dress beards are for sale. Ergo, it is safe to assume that they are for these malingering "pretend" homeless people. Also I wouldn't be surprised if their dog was in fact one borrowed from the local RSPCA. As one commentator says abve, they have cute dogs so the public donate.

That is why I do not give them coins.
Why would I want to spend some time with homeless people? I honestly fail to see why that will make me a better person. If you read what I have said, I am in agreement that some homeless people are destitute but so many are wealthy entrepreurs. Consider this. How many fancy dress parties are there in reality? Apart from halloween I haven't been to one for years. Now go to ebay or amazon and see how many fake and fancy dress beards are for sale. Ergo, it is safe to assume that they are for these malingering "pretend" homeless people. Also I wouldn't be surprised if their dog was in fact one borrowed from the local RSPCA. As one commentator says abve, they have cute dogs so the public donate. That is why I do not give them coins. Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

8:32am Tue 27 Nov 12

Juleyanne says...

I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing
trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the
vulgar Somethingsarejustwro
ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely!
I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the vulgar Somethingsarejustwro ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely! Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

8:34am Tue 27 Nov 12

Freeloaders says...

Dirk Von Roden wrote:
I see the trolls are on form tonight!
Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc !
I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle!
Good point my friend.Just watched the most vile evil sick video put out on facebook of a group of vile rich young kids burning a little cat alive."Yes alive people."Iv never found homeless people to be that evil.Most of the time they are just lost & without love.Like above may you all sleep well in your beds.
[quote][p][bold]Dirk Von Roden[/bold] wrote: I see the trolls are on form tonight! Most homeless are homeless through No fault of their own! some have left abusive family /friends ! some have lost their jobs ,Divorce etc etc ! I used to work with the Homeless, and most of them had more humanity in their little finger than some here have in their whole body! Couples decide the street is better as they dont want to be split up! others it could be anything from Claustrophobia to just being afraid of being around other people!(I can understand that)Hence the Nurse being on hand!! Just be thankful that you have a home , a Family,a Support network! because come April some of us won,t due to the new housing regs!and How many of you can honestly say "I will still have my job next year"! ? and know factually that you will??? may you sleep well in your bed , your castle![/p][/quote]Good point my friend.Just watched the most vile evil sick video put out on facebook of a group of vile rich young kids burning a little cat alive."Yes alive people."Iv never found homeless people to be that evil.Most of the time they are just lost & without love.Like above may you all sleep well in your beds. Freeloaders
  • Score: 0

8:42am Tue 27 Nov 12

Juleyanne says...

Oh grow up Algeria! I realise it is a complete waste of anyone's time arguing with a closed mind who lacks the ability
to pull his/her stereo typing 'superglued'
brain out of the sand and into reality!
Oh grow up Algeria! I realise it is a complete waste of anyone's time arguing with a closed mind who lacks the ability to pull his/her stereo typing 'superglued' brain out of the sand and into reality! Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

9:08am Tue 27 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this.

What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents.

Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way.

I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this. What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents. Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way. I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks. So put that in your pipe and smoke it! Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

9:41am Tue 27 Nov 12

Fairfax Sakes says...

Algeria Touchshriek wrote:
Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this.

What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents.

Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way.

I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Quite. Medium-rare I trust?
[quote][p][bold]Algeria Touchshriek[/bold] wrote: Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this. What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents. Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way. I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks. So put that in your pipe and smoke it![/p][/quote]Quite. Medium-rare I trust? Fairfax Sakes
  • Score: 0

10:22am Tue 27 Nov 12

Juleyanne says...

Just about sums it up Algeria six references to yourself - I and me, it indicates a clear picture of a selfish self absorbed revolting person! Oh and by the way I am a vegetarian so no, I dont eat turkey! Enjoy a horrible xmas clicking your stubby fingers at waiters/waitresses
and trying to convince an uninterested world of your pseudo status. Looking down on others clearly brings some twisted pleasure to your miserable world.
Just about sums it up Algeria six references to yourself - I and me, it indicates a clear picture of a selfish self absorbed revolting person! Oh and by the way I am a vegetarian so no, I dont eat turkey! Enjoy a horrible xmas clicking your stubby fingers at waiters/waitresses and trying to convince an uninterested world of your pseudo status. Looking down on others clearly brings some twisted pleasure to your miserable world. Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

11:37am Tue 27 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

How insulting.

Some how I envisaged a vegetarian. Says it all really.

Anyway back to homelessness. It is quite terrible if truth be told. Especially with this cold snap on its way. But I do buy the occassional lottery ticket, so know what its like to give to charity!

But i am sure Juleyanne will be out there with a hot flask and Pedigree Chum for the dogs. So it's not that bad I suppose.
How insulting. Some how I envisaged a vegetarian. Says it all really. Anyway back to homelessness. It is quite terrible if truth be told. Especially with this cold snap on its way. But I do buy the occassional lottery ticket, so know what its like to give to charity! But i am sure Juleyanne will be out there with a hot flask and Pedigree Chum for the dogs. So it's not that bad I suppose. Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Tue 27 Nov 12

dreamchaser says...

With the cost of buying a house and the rediculous cost of renting here teamed along with the low salaries paid here, it will only continue to rise.
With the cost of buying a house and the rediculous cost of renting here teamed along with the low salaries paid here, it will only continue to rise. dreamchaser
  • Score: 0

1:06pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Point says...

An extra million has been spent on the homeless Jason Kitkat says? I work for a Brighton based homeless charity, Our stats are superb our day centre full daily our impact terrific one of the best in the City, How much do we get from Council 0 it costs nothing to the tax payer, where has this money gone...it seeps through the machine of the council and ends up going to the beuracrats..its a disgrace.
An extra million has been spent on the homeless Jason Kitkat says? I work for a Brighton based homeless charity, Our stats are superb our day centre full daily our impact terrific one of the best in the City, How much do we get from Council 0 it costs nothing to the tax payer, where has this money gone...it seeps through the machine of the council and ends up going to the beuracrats..its a disgrace. Point
  • Score: 0

6:08pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Euly says...

Algeria Touchshriek wrote:
Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this.

What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents.

Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way.

I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Well let's hope you choke on your fillet steak and make your wife's life one hell of a lot better. You self satisfied idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Algeria Touchshriek[/bold] wrote: Juleyanne, before you cast your opinion on me ask yourself this. What will you be doing on Christmas Day? Oh yes, you will no doubt lie on here and say "Actually, I am working on a soup run to help all the local tramps" Or "I shall be handing out blankets to the cold and needy" But the truth of the matter is, you will be like the vast, vast majority of people and enjoying a roast turkey dinner and opening all your vulgar presents. Me, however, will not be enjoying a roast turkey dinner. Oh no siree. No way. I shall be on holiday in Southern Italy with my lovely wife enjoying some culture and a five star hotel whilt I pay some top chefs to cook me fillet steak....so much more palatable than turkey methinks. So put that in your pipe and smoke it![/p][/quote]Well let's hope you choke on your fillet steak and make your wife's life one hell of a lot better. You self satisfied idiot. Euly
  • Score: 0

7:25pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Juleyanne says...

Well said Euly!
Well said Euly! Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

7:39pm Tue 27 Nov 12

mictrix says...

lol if you dare to disagree with any of the loony left or great unwashed on here your immediately classed as a troll hahahaha freedom of speech? don't you just love em hahahahaha
lol if you dare to disagree with any of the loony left or great unwashed on here your immediately classed as a troll hahahaha freedom of speech? don't you just love em hahahahaha mictrix
  • Score: 0

7:41pm Tue 27 Nov 12

mictrix says...

Juleyanne wrote:
I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing
trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the
vulgar Somethingsarejustwro

ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely!
boo hoo lol
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the vulgar Somethingsarejustwro ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely![/p][/quote]boo hoo lol mictrix
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Euly says...

Juleyanne wrote:
Well said Euly!
I really REALLY hope it chokes him !
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: Well said Euly![/p][/quote]I really REALLY hope it chokes him ! Euly
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

For all those who have for some unfathomable reason decided upon themselves to call me an idiot and hope I choke on my steak, I'll have you know that my cousin in the second hardest in his class and my trainers are more expensive than yours. So there, go spin.

(PS homelessness is no joking matter, especially as the cold frosty nights draw in. You should be ashamed of yourselves!)
For all those who have for some unfathomable reason decided upon themselves to call me an idiot and hope I choke on my steak, I'll have you know that my cousin in the second hardest in his class and my trainers are more expensive than yours. So there, go spin. (PS homelessness is no joking matter, especially as the cold frosty nights draw in. You should be ashamed of yourselves!) Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

6:37am Wed 28 Nov 12

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

Juleyanne wrote:
I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing
trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the
vulgar Somethingsarejustwro

ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely!
The sooner these so called do-gooders stop interfering the better.

We should lock these people away, I for one don't want to see and hear them.

Algeria, I shall raise a large glass of fine Shiraz on Christmas day to toast the beginning of the end of the homeless eyesores in Brighton.
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the vulgar Somethingsarejustwro ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely![/p][/quote]The sooner these so called do-gooders stop interfering the better. We should lock these people away, I for one don't want to see and hear them. Algeria, I shall raise a large glass of fine Shiraz on Christmas day to toast the beginning of the end of the homeless eyesores in Brighton. Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 0

8:40am Wed 28 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

Here here (or is it hear hear, I never know!)

And some people really need to get a sense of humour as well.
Here here (or is it hear hear, I never know!) And some people really need to get a sense of humour as well. Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

9:20am Wed 28 Nov 12

Juleyanne says...

Try telling someone who finds themselves
on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot!
Try telling someone who finds themselves on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot! Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

10:40am Wed 28 Nov 12

Point says...

Juleyanne wrote:
I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing
trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the
vulgar Somethingsarejustwro

ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely!
Thank you one logical, accurate kind hearted post amongst a post of dim wits.
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: I am utterly ashamed to share a planet with such cold, heartless finger pointing trolls! Algeria, Mictrix, KarenT and the vulgar Somethingsarejustwro ng. Thank heavens for the good people who have the ability to show compassion and have the intelligence to recognise that although some of these street sleepers may not have initially helped their own situations. There are also, rapidly increasing many others through a whole host of other genuine reasons job losses, redundancy, marriage break up, mental health problems and physical illness, bankruptcy and/or welfare cuts can find themselves in a rapid decline, despair and sudden homelessness. With the worst economic downturn for decades inevitably there will be victims and help by way of shelter, warmth, food, medical assessment is borne out of human compassion not criticism! I am also concerned for the welfare of the dogs. Perhaps dog owners could donate their dogs old waterproof dog coats and donate dog food to help street dogs. Cash is best donated to homeless charities who will use it wisely![/p][/quote]Thank you one logical, accurate kind hearted post amongst a post of dim wits. Point
  • Score: 0

10:43am Wed 28 Nov 12

Point says...

SGK2000 wrote:
Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here.
Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'.
Being someone who works with homeless people daily your comments are inaccurate and it is obvious you know nothing about homelessness in this City
[quote][p][bold]SGK2000[/bold] wrote: Nearly all the homeless are not from Brighton & Hove but hoping to take valuable housing here. Meanwhile our locals, should they leave for cheaper rents in nearby towns but then have to move back are deemed to have 'no local connection'.[/p][/quote]Being someone who works with homeless people daily your comments are inaccurate and it is obvious you know nothing about homelessness in this City Point
  • Score: 0

3:23pm Wed 28 Nov 12

Algeria Touchshriek says...

Juleyanne wrote:
Try telling someone who finds themselves on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot!
I would tell them but due their often brown teeth and smell of tinkle, I tend not too be too close.

Perhaps you could tell them a joke for me when you dish out your tofu stew.

Tasty!!
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: Try telling someone who finds themselves on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot![/p][/quote]I would tell them but due their often brown teeth and smell of tinkle, I tend not too be too close. Perhaps you could tell them a joke for me when you dish out your tofu stew. Tasty!! Algeria Touchshriek
  • Score: 0

6:06am Thu 29 Nov 12

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

Juleyanne wrote:
Try telling someone who finds themselves
on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot!
Hilarious as usual.

Juleyanne supports all things wrong and then gets unpleasant and irrational when people challenge her comments.

Bottom line here is people have choices and in turn actions have consequences, so unless you want to spend your personal money on resolving all the world's problems I respectfully suggest you hush your lips and stop posting nonsense on this site.

Why not also raise a glass to a toast of 'here's to Brighton without the homeless as they have all been removed from the streets'?
[quote][p][bold]Juleyanne[/bold] wrote: Try telling someone who finds themselves on the streets they need to get a sense of humour you idiot![/p][/quote]Hilarious as usual. Juleyanne supports all things wrong and then gets unpleasant and irrational when people challenge her comments. Bottom line here is people have choices and in turn actions have consequences, so unless you want to spend your personal money on resolving all the world's problems I respectfully suggest you hush your lips and stop posting nonsense on this site. Why not also raise a glass to a toast of 'here's to Brighton without the homeless as they have all been removed from the streets'? Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Sun 2 Dec 12

Juleyanne says...

Somethingsarejustwro
ng 'absolutely' you are! I really think you and Algeria Touchyfreak, should get together over christmas as Scrooge is alive and kicking this festive season - bah humbug!
Somethingsarejustwro ng 'absolutely' you are! I really think you and Algeria Touchyfreak, should get together over christmas as Scrooge is alive and kicking this festive season - bah humbug! Juleyanne
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree