Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to email@example.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Good weather, roadworks and a Friday afternoon in half term brings Brighton to a standstill
- Chef stands up for cannabis users in court
- Best of Sussex to be honoured tonight at Argus Community Stars Awards
- Newhaven to Dieppe cross channel ferry route to continue in 2015 as new operator signs up
- Poker ace is flush as his winnings top £1m mark