Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to email@example.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Student admits Gatwick Airport flight bomb hoax
- School say it will be "business as usual" while investigation into controversial headteacher James Fox is carried out
- “Unskilled” bin lorry divers will work to rule after one day strike in dispute over their pay grade
- Get the sun cream ready... temperatures set to rise as warm weather hits the south coast
- Can Brighton's Jessica Mason do an-oeuf to beat the Scotch egg professionals?