Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Update: Armed police stand-off with 72-year-old pensioner ends
- Now for the real test as London Bridge Station opens new concourse
- Shoreham Airshow disaster pre-inquest hearing delayed
- One rail strike averted but still two remain likely to go ahead
- Man's body recovered from Brighton beach near the i360