Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to email@example.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man jailed for attempting to smuggle 17 Albanians into Sussex by boat
- Girl, 13, touched inappropriately by man as she walked with friend
- Vivean Gray, aka Neighbours Mrs Mangel, who lived in Shoreham passes away, aged 92
- Man in critical condition after being attacked with wooden mallet at barbecue
- Wanted man arrested by police and returned to prison