A man ended up with a key embedded in his skull after being attacked.
The 31-year-old victim was found in Edward Street, Brighton, with a stab wound to his ear.
A car key was embedded in his skull.
He is undergoing surgery to remove the key and is in a stable condition in hospital.
Police want information about anyone who saw a fight taking place in Dorset Street about 8.15pm, believed to related to this attack.
The suspect – believed to have stabbed the victim with the key – made off with others through Morrisons supermarket car park and into George Street.
Detective Constable Tracey Dixon said: "The suspect is described as mixed race, skinny, 5' 7", aged between 30 and 40 with tattoos on his right arm. He was wearing dark trousers and T-shirt.
“This was a nasty attack and we are appealing to anyone who saw what happened to ring 101.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Royal Blood announce exclusive, intimate gig in Brighton
- Election 2017: Green Party announce Brighton and Hove candidates
- Residents to give more feedback on strongly supported parking scheme
- More workers using their bicycles to get to the office after challenge
- Powerful addition to offshore wind farm