A man ended up with a key embedded in his skull after being attacked.
The 31-year-old victim was found in Edward Street, Brighton, with a stab wound to his ear.
A car key was embedded in his skull.
He is undergoing surgery to remove the key and is in a stable condition in hospital.
Police want information about anyone who saw a fight taking place in Dorset Street about 8.15pm, believed to related to this attack.
The suspect – believed to have stabbed the victim with the key – made off with others through Morrisons supermarket car park and into George Street.
Detective Constable Tracey Dixon said: "The suspect is described as mixed race, skinny, 5' 7", aged between 30 and 40 with tattoos on his right arm. He was wearing dark trousers and T-shirt.
“This was a nasty attack and we are appealing to anyone who saw what happened to ring 101.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fire takes hold at historic seafront bath house
- 75-year-old woman mugged in her own home
- December is the worst month for road deaths in Sussex this year with scores of crashes and casualties this week
- ‘Death trap’ cycle lane claims fourth victim
- Interim worker cost double the money of sacked housing chief