A man arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire in which a 40-year-old died has been bailed until the new year.
Yesterday a police spokesman said: “Police and forensic teams continue to investigate the cause of a fire to which emergency services were called at around 3.50am on Wednesday in St George’s Terrace, Brighton.
“The cause of the fire is currently unexplained.
“The local man, who was brought out of the property but was pronounced dead at the scene, has not yet been formally identified and the cause of his death has not yet been established, but a post-mortem is due to take place today or tomorrow.
“The 48-year-old local man arrested near the scene on suspicion of arson was released on police bail on Wednesday evening until January 14 2013 while enquiries continue.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Frustration boils over as train passengers struggle to get home
- Villagers thwart suspected jewellery thief by chasing him down the street and grabbing him
- Goldstone glory days to be remembered 20 years on
- £20m parking profit but drivers spend 16 working days a year in traffic
- Firefighters to respond to emergency ambulance calls in pilot project