A bus journey turned into a terrifying bloodbath when a fisherman stabbed two teenagers before being overpowered by passengers.

One of the injured victims of the terrifying bus bloodbath said the knifeman was “laughing crazily” as he launched his frenzied attack.

Police believe the man got into an argument with the youngsters before suddenly pulling a knife from his fishing bag and stabbing them on the top deck.

He lunged at the teenagers, injuring two of them in the legs, before going downstairs and trying to knife other passengers.

After being released from hospital with a heavily bandaged leg, one of the injured teenagers relived his terrifying ordeal.

The 14-year-old told The Argus: “I was upstairs and I heard shouting so I went down to see what was going on.

"The guy had a fishing rod and a bag. He didn’t have enough money to pay the driver and he was going mad.

“When he saw me he came over and tried to punch me in the face for no reason, so I hit him back.”

But when the teenager went back to the top deck, witnesses said the enraged fisherman pulled a large knife from his bag and followed him upstairs.

'Laughing crazily'

The schoolboy said: “Suddenly my mate shouted that the guy was coming and he had a knife. I turned round and saw him walking towards us, laughing crazily, with the blade in his hand.

“Everyone on the bus was screaming and crying.”

The teenager said he and his friends tried to restrain the fisherman, but two of the boys were injured as he slashed wildly at their legs.

He said: “I was holding him from behind, but he had the knife and started stabbing me backwards in the knee. Some other passengers were trying to help us too.

“I didn’t even realise I was hurt until I looked down and saw the blood pouring down my leg.”

One of the teenagers managed to knock the blade out of the attacker’s hand before the three friends escaped.

Students on the bus then tackled the blood-soaked knifeman.

Blood dripping

One said: “We formed two groups, one at the front and one at the back of the bus.

“Eventually, the man came downstairs with blood dripping from his face and knife. He looked at both groups and approached my brother and said to him “You’ve ruined my life.

“He then grabbed him by the shoulder blade and was about to run him through when some brave soul got him in a headlock. My brother and his friend then managed to wrestle the knife out of his hands.”

Two of the teenagers were found running away from the scene and arrested on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm, but are now being treated as witnesses rather than suspects.

The 14-year-old was treated in hospital for stab wounds while a 13-year-old was bailed. The third boy, who was also stabbed, has been treated for his wounds.

A 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm remains in hospital this morning (December 10).

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+