Boy at centre of cancer treatment row has operation

Neon Roberts

Neon Roberts

First published in News

A seven-year-old Brighton boy at the centre of a legal dispute over his cancer treatment has had an operation.

Neon Roberts had more surgery on a brain tumour on Wednesday (Dec 19) - against his mother's wishes.

Sally Roberts wanted any operation on her son delayed until more doctors had been consulted about the need for further surgery.

But Mr Justice Bodey ruled earlier this week that further treatment should go ahead after a specialist said an operation needed to be carried out urgently.

Mr Justice Bodey, who heard evidence at a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court in London, said the gains outweighed the risks.

Ian Peddie QC, for Ms Roberts, told Mr Justice Bodey: "The mother is happily relieved to report that the operation went well."

Ms Roberts, a New Zealander who lives in Brighton, does not want her son to have radiotherapy treatment following surgery.

She says she fears that radiotherapy will cause her Neon long-term harm. But doctors say he might die within months without radiotherapy.

Mr Justice Bodey is due to hear more argument on the issue at the hearing in London.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:33pm Thu 20 Dec 12

jagiwatch says...

Hope you feel better real soon little man x
Hope you feel better real soon little man x jagiwatch
  • Score: 0

7:33pm Thu 20 Dec 12

qm says...

Good Luck and Best Wishes little guy - and for the parents too!!
Good Luck and Best Wishes little guy - and for the parents too!! qm
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree