The A27 has been reopened after a police incident closed the road westbound for more than an hour this morning.
The main route was initially closed in both directions at Falmer at 6.40am.
The eastbound carriageway was reopened 15 minutes later, but was closed westbound until 8am.
At its worst, traffic was reported to be queuing back for three miles back towards Lewes.
Traffic was being diverted into Brighton along Lewes Road, where Brighton and Hove Buses also reported long delays, affecting services.
The road was while police negotiated with a man who was on the wrong side of the barrier at a bridge over the road.
He agreed to get down and was taken to hospital.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police chief admits rape poster was a mistake
- Widower stands up to defend the NHS
- Debt-ridden college ‘to spend £350k on salaries’
- Politicians push to save seafront
- Sussex weather and tides: What we should expect on Saturday April 18