The A27 has been reopened after a police incident closed the road westbound for more than an hour this morning.
The main route was initially closed in both directions at Falmer at 6.40am.
The eastbound carriageway was reopened 15 minutes later, but was closed westbound until 8am.
At its worst, traffic was reported to be queuing back for three miles back towards Lewes.
Traffic was being diverted into Brighton along Lewes Road, where Brighton and Hove Buses also reported long delays, affecting services.
The road was while police negotiated with a man who was on the wrong side of the barrier at a bridge over the road.
He agreed to get down and was taken to hospital.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATE: Child hit by car on road near school
- UPDATE: War hero's grieving mum robbed of final memories
- Student admits Gatwick Airport flight bomb hoax
- School say it will be "business as usual" while investigation into controversial headteacher James Fox is carried out
- CCTV: Pirate attacks man during family fun-day