Video by Jonny Barton
The Chinese Year of the Snake was ushered in at Hove Town Hall.
Traditional fan dancers in costume celebrated “strength, goodness and fertility” at the event yesterday.
The ancient dragon dance is said to drive away bad luck and evil spirits before the Chinese New Year, which traditionally lasts 15 days.
There were exhibitions and displays on Chinese culture as well as food stalls and dragon- making classes.
Attendees included the First Secretary of the Chinese Embassy and Councillor Bill Randall, mayor of Brighton and Hove.
According to Chinese tradition, the Year of the Snake will be a year of good financial fortune.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- 'Our beautiful girl': Parents pay tribute to suspected murder victim
- Boyfriend pays tribute to suspected murder victim Shana Grice as police watchdog notified
- Mother dies suddenly just seven weeks after birth of baby
- Concern for missing Samantha Barrett, 43
- Five men who died at Camber Sands now named