The RSPCA has said it does not have enough evidence to prosecute Brighton and Hove City Council over fish deaths.
The council killed about 40 fish in the rockery pond at Preston Park while cleaning and repairing it in January.
Now the RSPCA has admitted it cannot do anything. It said: “The RSPCA was called by a concerned member of the public who had seen dead fish floating in the skips.
“We contacted the council and told them that they were not providing a suitable environment for the fish and arrangements were made to move the remaining fish to a nearby facility with ponds.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man, 75, held in murder probe
- Man seriously injured after Toyota Avensis hits tree in Hove
- Shakedown music festival returns to Brighton
- Drunk woman got stuck in cattle grid
- Final farewell for Brighton's beloved Great Escaper as funeral takes place today