The RSPCA has said it does not have enough evidence to prosecute Brighton and Hove City Council over fish deaths.
The council killed about 40 fish in the rockery pond at Preston Park while cleaning and repairing it in January.
Now the RSPCA has admitted it cannot do anything. It said: “The RSPCA was called by a concerned member of the public who had seen dead fish floating in the skips.
“We contacted the council and told them that they were not providing a suitable environment for the fish and arrangements were made to move the remaining fish to a nearby facility with ponds.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after 18-year-old's body found
- Brighton university student among men killed at Camber Sands
- Police and Crime Commissioner investigated over allegation she lied during re-election campaign
- Former Cricketers pub manager killed in motorbike crash
- UPDATED: Camber Sands deaths - victims named