Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
UPDATED: Young runner dies after collapsing during marathon
Updated 4:28pm Sunday 14th April 2013 in News
A young man has died taking part in the Brighton Marathon.
He was attended to by paramedics at the 16 mile mark, near Grand Avenue in Hove.
A spokesman for the Royal Sussex County Hospital confirmed a 23-year-old man collapsed on the course at about 11.45am.
Medical teams were in attendance immediately and made attempts to resuscitate him.
He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by ambulance where doctors continued to give him treatment.
However, he died at about 2.30pm.
A spokesman for the Royal Sussex said his family have been informed.
One runner, who asked not to be named, said medical staff were giving the runner CPR at the side of the course.
She said it was "extremely upsetting".
- Eastbourne Pier fire: Investigators begin probe
- Conservatives choose former police chief for Hove MP candidate
- Brighton road closed following police car incident
- Pensioner saved after care home rooftop drama
- Community will miss a ‘lovely man’
Comments are closed on this article.