Drone shadow to hang over seafront as part of Brighton Festival

First published in News

A life-sized silhouette of a deadly drone bomber will be on display throughout May as part of an art exhibition.

The chilling symbol of modern warfare will be in Madeira Drive as part of Brighton Festival.

Titled Under the Shadow of the Drone, the visual art piece is intended to convey the terror of a military drone appearing in the skies above a city.

James Bridle, the London-based artist behind the piece, is also a columnist for The Observer.

He said: “Drones are just the latest in a long line of military technologies augmenting the process of death-dealing, but they are among the most efficient, the most distancing, the most invisible.

“We all live under the shadow of the drone, although most of us are lucky enough not to live under its direct fire.”

The project has been commissioned by Brighton-based digital agency Lighthouse and Brighton Festival.

The artwork will be in place from the beginning of May and is free to visit.

Don't miss our Festival and Fringe essential supplement with next Friday’s Argus.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:49am Sun 28 Apr 13

Plantpot says...

These drones are a fabulous piece of kit that most of the time work in surveillance mode. Ensures the bad guys are a lot less safe than they otherwise would be when weapons are deployed. Mistakes in targetting are occasionally made, but they would be anyway using any other technology or technique.

The thing that exaggerates the issue, and I assume is where the bleeding heart liberals are coming from, is that terrorist targets hide themselves deliberately amongst civilians precisely to get sympathy from the weaker members of Western society whenever there is collateral damage. Looks like it works.
These drones are a fabulous piece of kit that most of the time work in surveillance mode. Ensures the bad guys are a lot less safe than they otherwise would be when weapons are deployed. Mistakes in targetting are occasionally made, but they would be anyway using any other technology or technique. The thing that exaggerates the issue, and I assume is where the bleeding heart liberals are coming from, is that terrorist targets hide themselves deliberately amongst civilians precisely to get sympathy from the weaker members of Western society whenever there is collateral damage. Looks like it works. Plantpot
  • Score: 0

7:53am Sun 28 Apr 13

george smith says...

I grew up with the fear of the cold war and a nuclear attack. North Korea is now doing the same thing.
I grew up with the fear of the cold war and a nuclear attack. North Korea is now doing the same thing. george smith
  • Score: 0

8:21am Sun 28 Apr 13

Maxwell's Ghost says...

I feel more terror about the future of the resdents of this town every time Kitkat and Davey open their mouths.
I feel more terror about the future of the resdents of this town every time Kitkat and Davey open their mouths. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

8:21am Sun 28 Apr 13

pperrin says...

What a stupid idea.

Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead?

The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray.

This is pathetic posturing.
What a stupid idea. Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead? The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray. This is pathetic posturing. pperrin
  • Score: 0

8:24am Sun 28 Apr 13

pperrin says...

What a stupid idea.

Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead?

The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray.

This is pathetic posturing.
What a stupid idea. Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead? The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray. This is pathetic posturing. pperrin
  • Score: 0

8:28am Sun 28 Apr 13

pebble counter says...

pperrin wrote:
What a stupid idea. Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead? The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray. This is pathetic posturing.
it destroys with pin point accuray - and it's impossible for that to go wrong I suppose? You're right, it is pathetic posturing.
[quote][p][bold]pperrin[/bold] wrote: What a stupid idea. Attacking drones as 'efficient'? Would thr organisers and artist prefer cluster bombs killing non-combatants and dead RAF aircrews instead? The drone does *not* cast a shadow over an area - it destroys with pin point accuray. This is pathetic posturing.[/p][/quote]it destroys with pin point accuray - and it's impossible for that to go wrong I suppose? You're right, it is pathetic posturing. pebble counter
  • Score: 0

8:30am Sun 28 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

I think the Brighton Festival is losing the plot if it is allowing itself to be used for political statements!
I think the Brighton Festival is losing the plot if it is allowing itself to be used for political statements! mimseycal
  • Score: 0

8:44am Sun 28 Apr 13

Dealing with idiots says...

The Brighton festival has alwas been run bu a bunch of liberal wetties who are only too happy to shelter under the tree of freedom but balk at getting their hands dirty when they find out that freedom isn't freeand requires sacrifice.
The Brighton festival has alwas been run bu a bunch of liberal wetties who are only too happy to shelter under the tree of freedom but balk at getting their hands dirty when they find out that freedom isn't freeand requires sacrifice. Dealing with idiots
  • Score: 0

8:44am Sun 28 Apr 13

thegrail says...

It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site.

Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?
It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site. Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified? thegrail
  • Score: 0

8:52am Sun 28 Apr 13

Morpheus says...

I don't agree with our forces being in Afghanistan, but they are. However, the drones help keep them safe and we should not forget that.
I don't agree with our forces being in Afghanistan, but they are. However, the drones help keep them safe and we should not forget that. Morpheus
  • Score: 0

9:01am Sun 28 Apr 13

PJW Brighton says...

thegrail wrote:
It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site.

Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?
Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views.
[quote][p][bold]thegrail[/bold] wrote: It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site. Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?[/p][/quote]Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views. PJW Brighton
  • Score: 0

9:24am Sun 28 Apr 13

romankeycard says...

RIP Carol-Ann White,Philip Dunn's wife,who died at Hassocks on Thursday morning on the railway.
RIP Carol-Ann White,Philip Dunn's wife,who died at Hassocks on Thursday morning on the railway. romankeycard
  • Score: 0

9:32am Sun 28 Apr 13

Sussex jim says...

george smith wrote:
I grew up with the fear of the cold war and a nuclear attack. North Korea is now doing the same thing.
What a stupid comment. North Korea has nothing to fear from the rest of the world, unless that bully of a dictator acts irresponsibly.
[quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: I grew up with the fear of the cold war and a nuclear attack. North Korea is now doing the same thing.[/p][/quote]What a stupid comment. North Korea has nothing to fear from the rest of the world, unless that bully of a dictator acts irresponsibly. Sussex jim
  • Score: 0

9:33am Sun 28 Apr 13

juleshove says...

Drones are usually deployed to attack terrorists across the middle east etc

I think they are a much better alternative than our soldiers or our allies soldiers getting hurt

Fed up with all this anti war nonsense.usually supported by organisations with links to terrorist organisations or sympathy for.

No one wants war, but you have to ensure the terrorists dont achieve their aims.
Drones are usually deployed to attack terrorists across the middle east etc I think they are a much better alternative than our soldiers or our allies soldiers getting hurt Fed up with all this anti war nonsense.usually supported by organisations with links to terrorist organisations or sympathy for. No one wants war, but you have to ensure the terrorists dont achieve their aims. juleshove
  • Score: 0

9:36am Sun 28 Apr 13

juleshove says...

PJW Brighton wrote:
thegrail wrote:
It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site.

Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?
Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views.
Most sensible people live in the real world. not the make.believe world !!
[quote][p][bold]PJW Brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thegrail[/bold] wrote: It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site. Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?[/p][/quote]Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views.[/p][/quote]Most sensible people live in the real world. not the make.believe world !! juleshove
  • Score: 0

9:41am Sun 28 Apr 13

MikeyA says...

Any chance of getting hold of a real one? I'm sure that our fine contributors could come up with some suggestions for its deployment!
Any chance of getting hold of a real one? I'm sure that our fine contributors could come up with some suggestions for its deployment! MikeyA
  • Score: 0

9:48am Sun 28 Apr 13

nosolution says...

Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this?
No,I thought not...
Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this? No,I thought not... nosolution
  • Score: 0

9:58am Sun 28 Apr 13

Nitrous_McBread says...

Drones are currently doing perhaps more than anything to turn whole communities against the West.

For an real eye-opener, read the article "This Yemeni Man Loves America, Hates al-Qaeda, and Says Drone Strikes Make Them Stronger" - it can be found here: http://www.theatlant
ic.com/politics/arch
ive/2013/04/this-yem
eni-man-loves-americ
a-hates-al-qaeda-and
-says-drone-strikes-
make-them-stronger/2
75248/
Drones are currently doing perhaps more than anything to turn whole communities against the West. For an real eye-opener, read the article "This Yemeni Man Loves America, Hates al-Qaeda, and Says Drone Strikes Make Them Stronger" - it can be found here: http://www.theatlant ic.com/politics/arch ive/2013/04/this-yem eni-man-loves-americ a-hates-al-qaeda-and -says-drone-strikes- make-them-stronger/2 75248/ Nitrous_McBread
  • Score: 0

10:05am Sun 28 Apr 13

thegrail says...

juleshove wrote:
PJW Brighton wrote:
thegrail wrote:
It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site.

Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?
Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views.
Most sensible people live in the real world. not the make.believe world !!
I just hope those who voted the "gormless greens" (previously known as the "loony left") realise what they were actually voting for last time.

It was not just about the environment, but also about anti-war, anti-business, pro-drugs, anti-religous beliefs, anti-car, and a desire to waste money on hair-brained schemes.

As with all political parties you need to check up on everything there are planning to do - not just the headline policies.

Roll on May 2015!
[quote][p][bold]juleshove[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PJW Brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thegrail[/bold] wrote: It is interesting the number of links between lighthouse and Caroline Lucas, including them doing a lot of the work on her web site. Could this possibly be our Caroline using her financial influence to get her anti-war views spread across Brighton without being directly identified?[/p][/quote]Her anti-war views? I think a lot of people in Brighton have the same views: they elected her, and many who voted for other parties also have those views.[/p][/quote]Most sensible people live in the real world. not the make.believe world !![/p][/quote]I just hope those who voted the "gormless greens" (previously known as the "loony left") realise what they were actually voting for last time. It was not just about the environment, but also about anti-war, anti-business, pro-drugs, anti-religous beliefs, anti-car, and a desire to waste money on hair-brained schemes. As with all political parties you need to check up on everything there are planning to do - not just the headline policies. Roll on May 2015! thegrail
  • Score: 0

10:27am Sun 28 Apr 13

scoobysnax says...

I've always thought there was a future in small scale nuclear drone warfare, why bomb a wedding party when you can get the whole valley?

Now we are all living in the shadows of drones, Brighton will be a more interesting place. Lets hope art will bring us a little peace.
I've always thought there was a future in small scale nuclear drone warfare, why bomb a wedding party when you can get the whole valley? Now we are all living in the shadows of drones, Brighton will be a more interesting place. Lets hope art will bring us a little peace. scoobysnax
  • Score: 0

11:52am Sun 28 Apr 13

Hove Actually says...

The only reason these wishy washy wet bleeding heart minority can use the Internet or print what they want, watch what is going on in the world is because of the way we the majority deal with terrorists. We are proud that we live in a way that THEY can drone on about it, but don't think for one minute we want any change to way our protection is put before extremist views
The only reason these wishy washy wet bleeding heart minority can use the Internet or print what they want, watch what is going on in the world is because of the way we the majority deal with terrorists. We are proud that we live in a way that THEY can drone on about it, but don't think for one minute we want any change to way our protection is put before extremist views Hove Actually
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Sun 28 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

Hove Actually wrote:
The only reason these wishy washy wet bleeding heart minority can use the Internet or print what they want, watch what is going on in the world is because of the way we the majority deal with terrorists. We are proud that we live in a way that THEY can drone on about it, but don't think for one minute we want any change to way our protection is put before extremist views
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: The only reason these wishy washy wet bleeding heart minority can use the Internet or print what they want, watch what is going on in the world is because of the way we the majority deal with terrorists. We are proud that we live in a way that THEY can drone on about it, but don't think for one minute we want any change to way our protection is put before extremist views[/p][/quote]Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. mimseycal
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Sun 28 Apr 13

gaz scott says...

Seems most on here agree with the artist
“We all live under the shadow of the drone, ”

As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad...
Seems most on here agree with the artist “We all live under the shadow of the drone, [...]” As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad... gaz scott
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Sun 28 Apr 13

pperrin says...

nosolution wrote:
Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this?
No,I thought not...
Sounds really good. Then give each 'victim' a little little sticker of a drone to stick on the individual artist who put it there to represent the precise, discriminate retaliation of a drone.

Maybe tharts why the left hate drones so much - its discrimination innit.
[quote][p][bold]nosolution[/bold] wrote: Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this? No,I thought not...[/p][/quote]Sounds really good. Then give each 'victim' a little little sticker of a drone to stick on the individual artist who put it there to represent the precise, discriminate retaliation of a drone. Maybe tharts why the left hate drones so much - its discrimination innit. pperrin
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Sun 28 Apr 13

pperrin says...

nosolution wrote:
Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this?
No,I thought not...
Sounds really good. Then give each 'victim' a little little sticker of a drone to stick on the individual artist who put it there to represent the precise, discriminate retaliation of a drone.

Maybe tharts why the left hate drones so much - its discrimination innit.
[quote][p][bold]nosolution[/bold] wrote: Why not plant 'IED's' around the place but of course containing instead of limb tearing explosives merely an automatic loudhailer that went off everytime someone walked past declaring 'if this was real you would be crippled for life or dead'.Any righton organisations out there who can give me funding for this? No,I thought not...[/p][/quote]Sounds really good. Then give each 'victim' a little little sticker of a drone to stick on the individual artist who put it there to represent the precise, discriminate retaliation of a drone. Maybe tharts why the left hate drones so much - its discrimination innit. pperrin
  • Score: 0

3:25pm Sun 28 Apr 13

JHunty says...

gaz scott wrote:
Seems most on here agree with the artist
“We all live under the shadow of the drone, ”

As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad...
Wow Gaz did you get hit on the head by a rock on your anti MFE demo? Cos your making less sense than usual. Are you are trying to make some obscure point about state violence being equivalent to terrorism because it actually sounds like you are acting as an apologist for the terrorist attack in Boston.
Other posters are right to say that freedoms we have do not come without a cost. Gaz seems to think the problems of the world can be solved with candle lit vigils. So it was a bit surprising to hear the Syrian rebels calling for the west to arm them instead of calling desperately for another candle lit vigil to be held for them to counter the latest chemical weapon attacks. "Citizens of Brighton we call on you to light more candles one more vigil and we will really have Assad on the back foot. No not the scented ones that would be a war crime!"
Funny how quick these liberal progressives are to claim rights for themselves but to deny others the same rights. It was truly revolting to read Tony Greensteins support for Saddam Hussein a genocidal mass murderer.
"Under Saddam, at least people knew who the tyrant was. Now there are many tyrants and they are making people’s lives a living hell.

Things were better under Saddam – people had electricity and you didn’t have the risk of being tortured every time you walk down the street, which you do now."

But perhaps not surprising given his communist outlook and the fact that communism gave us Stalin the king of all dictators. Perhaps Tony just craves strong leadership and prefers that to individual freedom.
[quote][p][bold]gaz scott[/bold] wrote: Seems most on here agree with the artist “We all live under the shadow of the drone, [...]” As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad...[/p][/quote]Wow Gaz did you get hit on the head by a rock on your anti MFE demo? Cos your making less sense than usual. Are you are trying to make some obscure point about state violence being equivalent to terrorism because it actually sounds like you are acting as an apologist for the terrorist attack in Boston. Other posters are right to say that freedoms we have do not come without a cost. Gaz seems to think the problems of the world can be solved with candle lit vigils. So it was a bit surprising to hear the Syrian rebels calling for the west to arm them instead of calling desperately for another candle lit vigil to be held for them to counter the latest chemical weapon attacks. "Citizens of Brighton we call on you to light more candles one more vigil and we will really have Assad on the back foot. No not the scented ones that would be a war crime!" Funny how quick these liberal progressives are to claim rights for themselves but to deny others the same rights. It was truly revolting to read Tony Greensteins support for Saddam Hussein a genocidal mass murderer. "Under Saddam, at least people knew who the tyrant was. Now there are many tyrants and they are making people’s lives a living hell. Things were better under Saddam – people had electricity and you didn’t have the risk of being tortured every time you walk down the street, which you do now." But perhaps not surprising given his communist outlook and the fact that communism gave us Stalin the king of all dictators. Perhaps Tony just craves strong leadership and prefers that to individual freedom. JHunty
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Sun 28 Apr 13

romankeycard says...

Do any of your contributors know what the Brighton Festival is actually about? And do they ever support it in any way?Many people volunteer their time or even their homes/premises to display artwork. Brighton should be proud of the Festival which brings visitors and their CASH to your town and neighbouring towns and villages. Do not put them off!
Do any of your contributors know what the Brighton Festival is actually about? And do they ever support it in any way?Many people volunteer their time or even their homes/premises to display artwork. Brighton should be proud of the Festival which brings visitors and their CASH to your town and neighbouring towns and villages. Do not put them off! romankeycard
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Sun 28 Apr 13

bikerjimbo says...

Is this a joke? This surely has nothing to do with Brighton festival. What is the point and do people really know how good the drones appear to be. Watching a programme on TV about Afghanistan drones were shown being deployed to intercept people laying IEDs and then destroying them before anyone was injured/killed. In those instances only the enemy was at risk and other people (locals and our troops) were safe. Has this artist ever been in a war zone, I don't expect so. But why oh why is this being a part of our citys festival.
Is this a joke? This surely has nothing to do with Brighton festival. What is the point and do people really know how good the drones appear to be. Watching a programme on TV about Afghanistan drones were shown being deployed to intercept people laying IEDs and then destroying them before anyone was injured/killed. In those instances only the enemy was at risk and other people (locals and our troops) were safe. Has this artist ever been in a war zone, I don't expect so. But why oh why is this being a part of our citys festival. bikerjimbo
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Sun 28 Apr 13

gaz scott says...

JHunty wrote:
gaz scott wrote:
Seems most on here agree with the artist
“We all live under the shadow of the drone, ”

As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad...
Wow Gaz did you get hit on the head by a rock on your anti MFE demo? Cos your making less sense than usual. Are you are trying to make some obscure point about state violence being equivalent to terrorism because it actually sounds like you are acting as an apologist for the terrorist attack in Boston.
Other posters are right to say that freedoms we have do not come without a cost. Gaz seems to think the problems of the world can be solved with candle lit vigils. So it was a bit surprising to hear the Syrian rebels calling for the west to arm them instead of calling desperately for another candle lit vigil to be held for them to counter the latest chemical weapon attacks. "Citizens of Brighton we call on you to light more candles one more vigil and we will really have Assad on the back foot. No not the scented ones that would be a war crime!"
Funny how quick these liberal progressives are to claim rights for themselves but to deny others the same rights. It was truly revolting to read Tony Greensteins support for Saddam Hussein a genocidal mass murderer.
"Under Saddam, at least people knew who the tyrant was. Now there are many tyrants and they are making people’s lives a living hell.

Things were better under Saddam – people had electricity and you didn’t have the risk of being tortured every time you walk down the street, which you do now."

But perhaps not surprising given his communist outlook and the fact that communism gave us Stalin the king of all dictators. Perhaps Tony just craves strong leadership and prefers that to individual freedom.
So I've gone from violent extremist to candle-burning hippy in your eyes.

I ducked but I think the rock must have hit you full-on.
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gaz scott[/bold] wrote: Seems most on here agree with the artist “We all live under the shadow of the drone, [...]” As any right thinking person on here realises guns good, drones good, pressure cookers bad...[/p][/quote]Wow Gaz did you get hit on the head by a rock on your anti MFE demo? Cos your making less sense than usual. Are you are trying to make some obscure point about state violence being equivalent to terrorism because it actually sounds like you are acting as an apologist for the terrorist attack in Boston. Other posters are right to say that freedoms we have do not come without a cost. Gaz seems to think the problems of the world can be solved with candle lit vigils. So it was a bit surprising to hear the Syrian rebels calling for the west to arm them instead of calling desperately for another candle lit vigil to be held for them to counter the latest chemical weapon attacks. "Citizens of Brighton we call on you to light more candles one more vigil and we will really have Assad on the back foot. No not the scented ones that would be a war crime!" Funny how quick these liberal progressives are to claim rights for themselves but to deny others the same rights. It was truly revolting to read Tony Greensteins support for Saddam Hussein a genocidal mass murderer. "Under Saddam, at least people knew who the tyrant was. Now there are many tyrants and they are making people’s lives a living hell. Things were better under Saddam – people had electricity and you didn’t have the risk of being tortured every time you walk down the street, which you do now." But perhaps not surprising given his communist outlook and the fact that communism gave us Stalin the king of all dictators. Perhaps Tony just craves strong leadership and prefers that to individual freedom.[/p][/quote]So I've gone from violent extremist to candle-burning hippy in your eyes. I ducked but I think the rock must have hit you full-on. gaz scott
  • Score: 0

5:35pm Sun 28 Apr 13

pperrin says...

bikerjimbo wrote:
Is this a joke? This surely has nothing to do with Brighton festival. What is the point and do people really know how good the drones appear to be. Watching a programme on TV about Afghanistan drones were shown being deployed to intercept people laying IEDs and then destroying them before anyone was injured/killed. In those instances only the enemy was at risk and other people (locals and our troops) were safe. Has this artist ever been in a war zone, I don't expect so. But why oh why is this being a part of our citys festival.
Clever... the drone is actually 'reassuring security' implying that the area beneath is clear of dangers.

Meanwhile this pro-drone display is being financed by anti-drone lefties..
ha ha!
[quote][p][bold]bikerjimbo[/bold] wrote: Is this a joke? This surely has nothing to do with Brighton festival. What is the point and do people really know how good the drones appear to be. Watching a programme on TV about Afghanistan drones were shown being deployed to intercept people laying IEDs and then destroying them before anyone was injured/killed. In those instances only the enemy was at risk and other people (locals and our troops) were safe. Has this artist ever been in a war zone, I don't expect so. But why oh why is this being a part of our citys festival.[/p][/quote]Clever... the drone is actually 'reassuring security' implying that the area beneath is clear of dangers. Meanwhile this pro-drone display is being financed by anti-drone lefties.. ha ha! pperrin
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Sun 28 Apr 13

Bob_The_Ferret says...

Arts festival, or political rally?
Arts festival, or political rally? Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Sun 28 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

Which ever. It won't have any effect in the long run. Those who are concerned about drones deployment won't get more concerned by seeing the thing overhead. Those unconcerned, won't remember it long enough for it to make an impact on their conscience.
Which ever. It won't have any effect in the long run. Those who are concerned about drones deployment won't get more concerned by seeing the thing overhead. Those unconcerned, won't remember it long enough for it to make an impact on their conscience. mimseycal
  • Score: 0

12:50am Mon 29 Apr 13

Brighton Visitor says...

I hope it's armed and ready to aim at Brighton as a whole.
I hope it's armed and ready to aim at Brighton as a whole. Brighton Visitor
  • Score: 0

1:58am Mon 29 Apr 13

Max_Normal says...

Brighton Visitor wrote:
I hope it's armed and ready to aim at Brighton as a whole.
You post on here a lot don't you? I have been to towns I hated, but man, I never bothered signing up to the local rag and pathetically attempted to troll the local residents again and again.

What terrible thing happened to you here to make you so neurotic?

(Ok, if it was the Hipsters, I understand).
[quote][p][bold]Brighton Visitor[/bold] wrote: I hope it's armed and ready to aim at Brighton as a whole.[/p][/quote]You post on here a lot don't you? I have been to towns I hated, but man, I never bothered signing up to the local rag and pathetically attempted to troll the local residents again and again. What terrible thing happened to you here to make you so neurotic? (Ok, if it was the Hipsters, I understand). Max_Normal
  • Score: 0

1:59am Mon 29 Apr 13

Brighton Visitor says...

There's some things I like other things I don't.

I put up with the don'ts because me dog likes the beach.
There's some things I like other things I don't. I put up with the don'ts because me dog likes the beach. Brighton Visitor
  • Score: 0

2:29am Mon 29 Apr 13

romankeycard says...

You cannot take dogs on the beach.Brighton is a tolerant place except if you are canine. Give it a wide berth. Car parking is awful. My car has been clamped there - only time it has ever happened to me.
You cannot take dogs on the beach.Brighton is a tolerant place except if you are canine. Give it a wide berth. Car parking is awful. My car has been clamped there - only time it has ever happened to me. romankeycard
  • Score: 0

7:53am Mon 29 Apr 13

gaz scott says...

Brighton Visitor wrote:
There's some things I like other things I don't.

I put up with the don'ts because me dog likes the beach.
While putting up with the don'ts I hope you deal with the do's.

Otherwise we might have to install a shadow of a dog stool over the beach just to remind you...
[quote][p][bold]Brighton Visitor[/bold] wrote: There's some things I like other things I don't. I put up with the don'ts because me dog likes the beach.[/p][/quote]While putting up with the don'ts I hope you deal with the do's. Otherwise we might have to install a shadow of a dog stool over the beach just to remind you... gaz scott
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree