Electrical fault thought to be reason bus burst into flames on A23

Electrical fault thought to be reason bus burst into flames on A23

Electrical fault thought to be reason bus burst into flames on A23

First published in News
Last updated
by , Crime reporter

An electrical fault could be the reason a Sussex bus burst into flames on the A23.

Motorists watched in horror as the single-decker caught fire yesterday afternoon.

The driver and a passenger on the Burgess Hill-based Sussex Bus coach managed to escape to safety.

The driver was seen scrambling up the bank of the southbound carriageway at Pyecombe.

Fortunately, there were no other passengers on the bus which was travelling to Brighton to pick up rush-hour commuters.


MORE:


Early indications suggested the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

Drivers caught in the chaos got out of their vehicles as the blaze raged.

Terri Hunter, 45, of Brighton, was a passenger in a car which passed the coach just as it burst into flames.

She said: “It was crazy. The coach was totally on fire – the whole inside of the bus was in flames. It was so lucky there was only one passenger on board – if there had been more it would have been terrible.

“Drivers stuck in the jam stood on the bank by the side of the bus.

“There was so much smoke.

“It looked like everyone was all right.

“It looked very dramatic.

“It was really, really bad – I have not seen a fire like that.

“It was bonkers.

“There was thick black smoke across the entire carriageway.”

Crews from East and West Sussex fire and rescue services and Sussex Police attended the fire, which started just three minutes before the end of the firefighters’ strike at 3.57pm.

Motorists faced delays as the south- bound lanes were closed by the emergency services.

Thick smoke billowing across the carriageway also caused disruption for traffic travelling north.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue spokeswoman confirmed four pumps attended including crews from Henfield, Hurstpierpoint and Haywards Heath.

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:03am Thu 26 Sep 13

allykatz says...

Is it just me or does anyone else want to know where that bus stops ? ; )
Is it just me or does anyone else want to know where that bus stops ? ; ) allykatz
  • Score: 6

9:15am Thu 26 Sep 13

ICantThinkOfAName says...

I think that bus stopped at Pyecombe.
I think that bus stopped at Pyecombe. ICantThinkOfAName
  • Score: -3

9:39am Thu 26 Sep 13

Roger Francais says...

One cannot help but wonder if Russell and Chris will be enjoying a solemn drive to Eastbourne for mid morning tea and biscuits with Mr Denton over this... Hmmn
One cannot help but wonder if Russell and Chris will be enjoying a solemn drive to Eastbourne for mid morning tea and biscuits with Mr Denton over this... Hmmn Roger Francais
  • Score: 1

9:42am Thu 26 Sep 13

tekniko says...

ICantThinkOfAName wrote:
I think that bus stopped at Pyecombe.
You've missed Allykatz observation!
[quote][p][bold]ICantThinkOfAName[/bold] wrote: I think that bus stopped at Pyecombe.[/p][/quote]You've missed Allykatz observation! tekniko
  • Score: 0

10:07am Thu 26 Sep 13

Mel Shock says...

All I know is it took me 3hrs to get home last night because of it......
All I know is it took me 3hrs to get home last night because of it...... Mel Shock
  • Score: -7

10:14am Thu 26 Sep 13

shnookumshnum says...

How often does it come? ;)
How often does it come? ;) shnookumshnum
  • Score: 5

10:36am Thu 26 Sep 13

the old funker says...

I blame the Conservative party for flogging of the buses.
I blame the Conservative party for flogging of the buses. the old funker
  • Score: -7

10:50am Thu 26 Sep 13

wendy-uk says...

shnookumshnum wrote:
How often does it come? ;)
That particular vehicle won't be coming again I suspect!
[quote][p][bold]shnookumshnum[/bold] wrote: How often does it come? ;)[/p][/quote]That particular vehicle won't be coming again I suspect! wendy-uk
  • Score: 0

10:57am Thu 26 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ... mimseycal
  • Score: -2

10:57am Thu 26 Sep 13

falmer seagull says...

Ditch the car and use the bus. Much better for the environment!!!!!
Ditch the car and use the bus. Much better for the environment!!!!! falmer seagull
  • Score: -3

11:36am Thu 26 Sep 13

spencer1973 says...

mimseycal wrote:
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
Is that a fact?

I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know

The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model.

I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy.

What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...[/p][/quote]Is that a fact? I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model. I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy. What do passengers want? A viable service or No service? spencer1973
  • Score: 3

11:46am Thu 26 Sep 13

Hovegeek says...

Unfortunate crop on the picture don't you think? Maybe the occupants just got too hot and steamy
Unfortunate crop on the picture don't you think? Maybe the occupants just got too hot and steamy Hovegeek
  • Score: 9

12:38pm Thu 26 Sep 13

timfusciardi says...

Not sexy bus again, its always hot and steamy on there
Not sexy bus again, its always hot and steamy on there timfusciardi
  • Score: 2

12:39pm Thu 26 Sep 13

timfusciardi says...

Not sexy bus again, its always hot and steamy on there
Not sexy bus again, its always hot and steamy on there timfusciardi
  • Score: -1

12:44pm Thu 26 Sep 13

Hoveres2013 says...

spencer1973 wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
Is that a fact?

I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know

The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model.

I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy.

What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?
Sexbus.com get it right please?!
[quote][p][bold]spencer1973[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...[/p][/quote]Is that a fact? I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model. I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy. What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?[/p][/quote]Sexbus.com get it right please?! Hoveres2013
  • Score: 2

1:03pm Thu 26 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

spencer1973 wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
Is that a fact?

I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know

The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model.

I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy.

What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?
It is a fact. I've used their buses quite a lot since last November. Breakdowns are frequent, the buses are filthy and there have been a few of these buses bursting into flame ... I recall one very poignant incident that involved one that was leased to take school children on a school-trip not that long ago ...

Taking over at short notice is one thing but that was over a year ago ... how long is the management going to rely on that old chestnut to excuse their abysmal performance?

As for what passengers want? I would have thought that is obvious, a decent bus service that has decent buses.
[quote][p][bold]spencer1973[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...[/p][/quote]Is that a fact? I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model. I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy. What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?[/p][/quote]It is a fact. I've used their buses quite a lot since last November. Breakdowns are frequent, the buses are filthy and there have been a few of these buses bursting into flame ... I recall one very poignant incident that involved one that was leased to take school children on a school-trip not that long ago ... Taking over at short notice is one thing but that was over a year ago ... how long is the management going to rely on that old chestnut to excuse their abysmal performance? As for what passengers want? I would have thought that is obvious, a decent bus service that has decent buses. mimseycal
  • Score: 4

2:34pm Thu 26 Sep 13

tekniko says...

wendy-uk wrote:
shnookumshnum wrote:
How often does it come? ;)
That particular vehicle won't be coming again I suspect!
Loving the innuendo, especially when some posters are just not getting it.
[quote][p][bold]wendy-uk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shnookumshnum[/bold] wrote: How often does it come? ;)[/p][/quote]That particular vehicle won't be coming again I suspect![/p][/quote]Loving the innuendo, especially when some posters are just not getting it. tekniko
  • Score: 4

2:36pm Thu 26 Sep 13

farang says...

Will there be a replacement sex bus service?
Will there be a replacement sex bus service? farang
  • Score: 3

3:02pm Thu 26 Sep 13

wm2694 says...

http://www.theargus.
co.uk/news/10269338.
Bus_catches_on_fire_
near_Pyecombe___with
_video/

This story sounds rather familiar...?
http://www.theargus. co.uk/news/10269338. Bus_catches_on_fire_ near_Pyecombe___with _video/ This story sounds rather familiar...? wm2694
  • Score: 1

4:13pm Thu 26 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

wm2694 wrote:
http://www.theargus.

co.uk/news/10269338.

Bus_catches_on_fire_

near_Pyecombe___with

_video/

This story sounds rather familiar...?
Yup! Same company but that happened on Wednesday 6th March 2013. The bus taking children to the Beaulieu Motor Museum happened on Saturday 26th January 2013.
[quote][p][bold]wm2694[/bold] wrote: http://www.theargus. co.uk/news/10269338. Bus_catches_on_fire_ near_Pyecombe___with _video/ This story sounds rather familiar...?[/p][/quote]Yup! Same company but that happened on Wednesday 6th March 2013. The bus taking children to the Beaulieu Motor Museum happened on Saturday 26th January 2013. mimseycal
  • Score: 4

4:18pm Thu 26 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

Country liner went bust in early October 2012 and Heritage/Sussex Bus.com took over some of the routes then. According to Burgess Hill Town Council they took over 31, 33, 34, 35, 39, 40, 40X.
Country liner went bust in early October 2012 and Heritage/Sussex Bus.com took over some of the routes then. According to Burgess Hill Town Council they took over 31, 33, 34, 35, 39, 40, 40X. mimseycal
  • Score: 2

5:18pm Thu 26 Sep 13

power_ranger says...

woooaaaah ahoooooooww,
this sex bus is on firreeeee
woooaaaah ahoooooooww, this sex bus is on firreeeee power_ranger
  • Score: 5

10:16pm Thu 26 Sep 13

whatevernext2013 says...

mimseycal wrote:
spencer1973 wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
Is that a fact?

I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know

The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model.

I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy.

What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?
It is a fact. I've used their buses quite a lot since last November. Breakdowns are frequent, the buses are filthy and there have been a few of these buses bursting into flame ... I recall one very poignant incident that involved one that was leased to take school children on a school-trip not that long ago ...

Taking over at short notice is one thing but that was over a year ago ... how long is the management going to rely on that old chestnut to excuse their abysmal performance?

As for what passengers want? I would have thought that is obvious, a decent bus service that has decent buses.
there is a decent service its run by metrobus ,all the buses are clean at start of day ,if there is a break down its sorted out straight away with a replacement bus ,the way Sussex bus are going they wont have any buses let running on the road
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]spencer1973[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...[/p][/quote]Is that a fact? I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model. I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy. What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?[/p][/quote]It is a fact. I've used their buses quite a lot since last November. Breakdowns are frequent, the buses are filthy and there have been a few of these buses bursting into flame ... I recall one very poignant incident that involved one that was leased to take school children on a school-trip not that long ago ... Taking over at short notice is one thing but that was over a year ago ... how long is the management going to rely on that old chestnut to excuse their abysmal performance? As for what passengers want? I would have thought that is obvious, a decent bus service that has decent buses.[/p][/quote]there is a decent service its run by metrobus ,all the buses are clean at start of day ,if there is a break down its sorted out straight away with a replacement bus ,the way Sussex bus are going they wont have any buses let running on the road whatevernext2013
  • Score: 1

10:37pm Thu 26 Sep 13

andyfm says...

Where is the picture of the fire engine??????
Where is the picture of the fire engine?????? andyfm
  • Score: 1

10:50pm Thu 26 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

@ whatevernext2013 10:16pm Thu 26 Sep 13

True. But if you have to get to the Princess Royal Hospital, apart from the 270 Metrobus which runs 15 minutes past the hour every weekday there are the two Heritage/SussexBus.c
om ... the 40 and the 40X; 40X being a designated hospital to hospital service receiving funding from Brighton and Sussex University Hospital. The latter two are both Heritage/SussexBus.c
om services.
@ whatevernext2013 10:16pm Thu 26 Sep 13 True. But if you have to get to the Princess Royal Hospital, apart from the 270 Metrobus which runs 15 minutes past the hour every weekday there are the two Heritage/SussexBus.c om ... the 40 and the 40X; 40X being a designated hospital to hospital service receiving funding from Brighton and Sussex University Hospital. The latter two are both Heritage/SussexBus.c om services. mimseycal
  • Score: 1

3:00am Fri 27 Sep 13

xtrampoline says...

spencer1973 wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...
Is that a fact?

I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know

The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model.

I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy.

What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?
Nice drivers?! Who do you get! Are we traveling with the same company! I thought the personal touch as advertised on their website meant they give you your own personal insult when you board! Now I get the 270 and are much happier for it? It is a fact the customer care is DREADFUL. 2 bus fires in 1 year! Get the 270 or walk at least you get there that's 2 fires will people be so lucky the next time?
[quote][p][bold]spencer1973[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: SussexBus Company aka Heritage Buses ... A dreadful fleet with bad maintenance and worse customer care ...[/p][/quote]Is that a fact? I think you are wrong. We dont know the reason for the blaze...it may have even been arson? We just dont know The bus looks like a late model DAF/Wright bus, the main bus company in Brighton still use a similar model. I have used the service from Burgess Hill to Brighton, nice drivers, reasonable vehicles and I repeat, Sussex Bus took over at short notice when the previous operator (Countryliner) went bust. What does this say about the margins involved in running a rural bus service? Running a six days a week frequent bus all day long is not cheap and not easy. What do passengers want? A viable service or No service?[/p][/quote]Nice drivers?! Who do you get! Are we traveling with the same company! I thought the personal touch as advertised on their website meant they give you your own personal insult when you board! Now I get the 270 and are much happier for it? It is a fact the customer care is DREADFUL. 2 bus fires in 1 year! Get the 270 or walk at least you get there that's 2 fires will people be so lucky the next time? xtrampoline
  • Score: 1

8:04am Fri 27 Sep 13

mimseycal says...

A bus that goes once an hour can hardly be called frequent.
A bus that goes once an hour can hardly be called frequent. mimseycal
  • Score: 1

12:53am Fri 18 Oct 13

xtrampoline says...

If anyone wishes to discuss TheSussexBus here (I personally hate them) Slow unreliable buses' staff not knowing the fares, rude and incompetent staff and thinking they have bragging rights when they are independent! (they are against non-independent operators and are vocal about thinking they are better instead of giving money between shareholders which anyone can become it all goes to one family) I set up this page, it used to be called I hate Sussex Bus.com but changed to opinions on because it can then bring in a level playing field if you want to join feel free! https://www.facebook
.com/opinionsontsb
If anyone wishes to discuss TheSussexBus here (I personally hate them) Slow unreliable buses' staff not knowing the fares, rude and incompetent staff and thinking they have bragging rights when they are independent! (they are against non-independent operators and are vocal about thinking they are better instead of giving money between shareholders which anyone can become it all goes to one family) I set up this page, it used to be called I hate Sussex Bus.com but changed to opinions on because it can then bring in a level playing field if you want to join feel free! https://www.facebook .com/opinionsontsb xtrampoline
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree