Seagull sparks hat trick of woes for Brighton Premier Inn

The Argus: A Brighton seagull. There is no suggestion this is the seagull responsible for the hotel's broken window. A Brighton seagull. There is no suggestion this is the seagull responsible for the hotel's broken window.

The closure of Brighton's North Street this week was caused by a seagull, Premier Inn has revealed.

Firefighters closed off the busy city throughfare on Monday afternoon when they were called to an "unsafe window" at the budget hotel chain.

Today, hotel bosses said the damage was caused by a seagull. 

A spokesman from Premier Inn said: “We can confirm that our window contractors were called to our site in North Street on Monday morning following a window being damaged on the fourth floor by a seagull.

“The window and glazing were secure but as a precaution the decision was taken to replace it by our local contractors."

This was just the beginning of a hat trick of calamaties at the inn - proving bad luck really does come in threes for its unfortunate customers. 

Later guests wanting to take a hot bath or shower were left disappointed after the hotel’s hot water system packed up after a gas leak.

Hotel guest Lewis Plant moaned on Twitter: “Premier Inn Brighton. Anything but premier.”

And at around 8pm hundreds of guests had to be evacuated when more gas began leaking in the 99p store below.

Firefighters ordered more than 200 Premier Inn customers out of the hotel and into North Street.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue said a refrigerator in the shop was responsible for the leak.

The hotel spokesman added: “The fire service were recalled to the vicinity of the hotel later that day owing to a refrigerator leak from a retail premises below the site.

“As a precaution the hotel guests were again safely evacuated until the fire brigade declared the area clear for use at around 10pm.

“Guests were served tea and coffee in a holding area in the interim and free drinks and a buffet when they returned to the hotel, where the hot water was also restored after the initial gas leak.

“We would like to thank our guests, team members and the fire brigade for all of their help and co-operation, which ensured that all of these issues were resolved safely.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:37am Wed 4 Dec 13

Crystal Ball says...

A seagull? In Brighton? Surely not?
A seagull? In Brighton? Surely not? Crystal Ball

12:00pm Wed 4 Dec 13

getThisCoalitionOut says...

How can a seagull cause damage to a window frame?! More like this hotel isn't repairing old and rotting windows when it should, penny pinching establishment.
How can a seagull cause damage to a window frame?! More like this hotel isn't repairing old and rotting windows when it should, penny pinching establishment. getThisCoalitionOut

4:30pm Wed 4 Dec 13

PorkBoat says...

Turn the hoses on them!
Turn the hoses on them! PorkBoat

11:36pm Thu 5 Dec 13

whoee! says...

I must say this particular premier inn is absolutely disgusting.I wouldn't even board a dog there lol
I must say this particular premier inn is absolutely disgusting.I wouldn't even board a dog there lol whoee!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree