Family of four including five-year-old boy sleeping rough in Brighton

The Argus: Family of four including five-year-old boy sleeping rough in Brighton Family of four including five-year-old boy sleeping rough in Brighton

Police are becoming increasingly concerned for the welfare of a family of four - including a five-year-old boy - who could be sleeping rough in Brighton.

The Touray family, a 38-year-old mother and her three children, have not been seen since telling housing office staff in the city that they had nowhere to sleep on Tuesday.

They said they had arrived in Brighton on Monday where they had been due to meet a friend but that the friend had not arrived.

They told housing staff they had slept rough on Monday evening but since speaking to the council workers on Tuesday they have not been seen.

The family are Spanish nationals and include a five-year-old boy and girls aged 12 and 13.

Inspector Tony Lumb said: "Hopefully the Tourays have made contact with the friend they spoke of but we just want to make sure they are safe and well.

"They have not been reported missing but do not speak any English. They had suitcases with them so would be distinctive on the streets.

"If anyone has seen or heard from them please contact us. We would like to speak to them as a matter of urgency just to check they are okay."

Anyone with information should call 101 quoting serial 1177 of 17/12 or email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk

Comments (55)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:30pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Herbertfarquarson says...

Obviously the police and council staff are not busy enough.
Obviously the police and council staff are not busy enough. Herbertfarquarson

12:33pm Fri 20 Dec 13

The Prophet of Doom says...

Herbertfarquarson wrote:
Obviously the police and council staff are not busy enough.
Too busy at their Christmas parties I guess.
[quote][p][bold]Herbertfarquarson[/bold] wrote: Obviously the police and council staff are not busy enough.[/p][/quote]Too busy at their Christmas parties I guess. The Prophet of Doom

1:07pm Fri 20 Dec 13

mimseycal says...

What I find unbelievable inhumane is the fact that our local housing staff feel that they have done their common decency best by letting this non-English speaking family of one adult and three minors walk away and merely informing the police of their existence.

I hope that this family has indeed managed to contact their friend for I will certainly hold the local housing staff concerned morally responsible for any misfortune that befalls this family as a result of being turned away by them.
What I find unbelievable inhumane is the fact that our local housing staff feel that they have done their common decency best by letting this non-English speaking family of one adult and three minors walk away and merely informing the police of their existence. I hope that this family has indeed managed to contact their friend for I will certainly hold the local housing staff concerned morally responsible for any misfortune that befalls this family as a result of being turned away by them. mimseycal

1:10pm Fri 20 Dec 13

ThinkBrighton says...

Roll up, Roll up, for free housing!
Nowhere to stay, go back to Spain, it's a lot warmer
Roll up, Roll up, for free housing! Nowhere to stay, go back to Spain, it's a lot warmer ThinkBrighton

2:04pm Fri 20 Dec 13

her professional says...

I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white? her professional

2:05pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Brightonian1966 says...

I going to look into the future. I predict:
A Nice shiny new council house for them.

That old chestnut! Still works.
I going to look into the future. I predict: A Nice shiny new council house for them. That old chestnut! Still works. Brightonian1966

2:06pm Fri 20 Dec 13

bob_from_brighton says...

If I went to a strange town to meet a 'friend' and they didn't turn up I wouldn't expect the local authority to put me up that night, I'd book a B&B and/or look to make the return journey as soon as possible. Isn't this just a case of someone fancying moving to Brighton from wherever, and expecting local taxpayers to take them on, with a cover story like this? The primary responsibility for the 5 year lies with the parents? and also perhaps the area they have historically lived.
If I went to a strange town to meet a 'friend' and they didn't turn up I wouldn't expect the local authority to put me up that night, I'd book a B&B and/or look to make the return journey as soon as possible. Isn't this just a case of someone fancying moving to Brighton from wherever, and expecting local taxpayers to take them on, with a cover story like this? The primary responsibility for the 5 year lies with the parents? and also perhaps the area they have historically lived. bob_from_brighton

2:07pm Fri 20 Dec 13

bob_from_brighton says...

her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Yes. Cheap shot.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Yes. Cheap shot. bob_from_brighton

2:12pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Athena says...

If I went abroad with my children and suitcases, and if the friend I was supposed to meet did not turn up, would I expect the local council to give me money and a house? No, I would not. I'd make some other arrangement. Try and contact another friend (or friend of a friend), or go back to where I came from. Frankly, this family is not the council's concern and neither are they "morally responsible" for them, whatever colour they are.
If I went abroad with my children and suitcases, and if the friend I was supposed to meet did not turn up, would I expect the local council to give me money and a house? No, I would not. I'd make some other arrangement. Try and contact another friend (or friend of a friend), or go back to where I came from. Frankly, this family is not the council's concern and neither are they "morally responsible" for them, whatever colour they are. Athena

2:21pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Goldenwight says...

Never mind the objectionables above, what did they tell our Border Police?

As Spanish nationals, they have a right to be here, so no problem there.

Why did they contact the local council? It isn't something which would occur to ME in that situation.

And in all fairness, the story says that they would be distinctive on the streets- since they haven't been seen I think that we can take it that they are not there.
Never mind the objectionables above, what did they tell our Border Police? As Spanish nationals, they have a right to be here, so no problem there. Why did they contact the local council? It isn't something which would occur to ME in that situation. And in all fairness, the story says that they would be distinctive on the streets- since they haven't been seen I think that we can take it that they are not there. Goldenwight

2:24pm Fri 20 Dec 13

bob_from_brighton says...

Goldenwight wrote:
Never mind the objectionables above, what did they tell our Border Police?

As Spanish nationals, they have a right to be here, so no problem there.

Why did they contact the local council? It isn't something which would occur to ME in that situation.

And in all fairness, the story says that they would be distinctive on the streets- since they haven't been seen I think that we can take it that they are not there.
objectionables? would be useful to elaborate this. I agree with the rest of the post.
[quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: Never mind the objectionables above, what did they tell our Border Police? As Spanish nationals, they have a right to be here, so no problem there. Why did they contact the local council? It isn't something which would occur to ME in that situation. And in all fairness, the story says that they would be distinctive on the streets- since they haven't been seen I think that we can take it that they are not there.[/p][/quote]objectionables? would be useful to elaborate this. I agree with the rest of the post. bob_from_brighton

2:42pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Crystal Ball says...

her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet?
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet? Crystal Ball

2:53pm Fri 20 Dec 13

KarenT says...

her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Utter nonsense. The huge furore surrounding the imminent arrival of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians has nothing to do with race, as they will be predominantly white! Some people just LOVE to turn concerns over immigration into racism!!! Idjits.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Utter nonsense. The huge furore surrounding the imminent arrival of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians has nothing to do with race, as they will be predominantly white! Some people just LOVE to turn concerns over immigration into racism!!! Idjits. KarenT

2:56pm Fri 20 Dec 13

KarenT says...

Forgot to add, only UKIP can see through all that boll0x!
Forgot to add, only UKIP can see through all that boll0x! KarenT

3:07pm Fri 20 Dec 13

PorkBoat says...

her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
You started it.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]You started it. PorkBoat

3:08pm Fri 20 Dec 13

her professional says...

KarenT wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Utter nonsense. The huge furore surrounding the imminent arrival of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians has nothing to do with race, as they will be predominantly white! Some people just LOVE to turn concerns over immigration into racism!!! Idjits.
So where do you draw the line at people "arriving" in Brighton not becoming a problem? South of a line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash? Only people born in Brighton allowed to stay here? Don't care as long as they're rich? Let's remake "Passport to Pimlico".
[quote][p][bold]KarenT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Utter nonsense. The huge furore surrounding the imminent arrival of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians has nothing to do with race, as they will be predominantly white! Some people just LOVE to turn concerns over immigration into racism!!! Idjits.[/p][/quote]So where do you draw the line at people "arriving" in Brighton not becoming a problem? South of a line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash? Only people born in Brighton allowed to stay here? Don't care as long as they're rich? Let's remake "Passport to Pimlico". her professional

3:11pm Fri 20 Dec 13

her professional says...

PorkBoat wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
You started it.
Oh no I didn't
[quote][p][bold]PorkBoat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]You started it.[/p][/quote]Oh no I didn't her professional

3:20pm Fri 20 Dec 13

bob_from_brighton says...

Her professional :- So where do you draw the line at people "arriving" in Brighton not becoming a problem?

In any walk of life where needs are larger than resources, you have to prioritise based on some sort of rules. If the rules, when applied, result in some left over resources, then you can relax them further.

Brighton has a massive housing shortfall, so clearly we can't take on Spanish nationals. 'Drawing the line' is a movable feast - called the 'housing list'? - and clearly - we currently have problems nearer to home
Her professional :- So where do you draw the line at people "arriving" in Brighton not becoming a problem? In any walk of life where needs are larger than resources, you have to prioritise based on some sort of rules. If the rules, when applied, result in some left over resources, then you can relax them further. Brighton has a massive housing shortfall, so clearly we can't take on Spanish nationals. 'Drawing the line' is a movable feast - called the 'housing list'? - and clearly - we currently have problems nearer to home bob_from_brighton

3:41pm Fri 20 Dec 13

medianscore says...

Deport them back to Spain or their country of origin.
Deport them back to Spain or their country of origin. medianscore

4:11pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Grumpy Old Cyclist says...

Crystal Ball wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet?
They would be HJarrs and his mates.
[quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet?[/p][/quote]They would be HJarrs and his mates. Grumpy Old Cyclist

4:30pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

Grumpy Old Cyclist wrote:
Crystal Ball wrote:
her professional wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet?
They would be HJarrs and his mates.
HJarrs doesn't have any mates
[quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]What if they had been green, had four eyes, tentacles and had just arrived from another planet?[/p][/quote]They would be HJarrs and his mates.[/p][/quote]HJarrs doesn't have any mates Somethingsarejustwrong

8:29pm Fri 20 Dec 13

hubby says...

ThinkBrighton wrote:
Roll up, Roll up, for free housing!
Nowhere to stay, go back to Spain, it's a lot warmer
Nice comment.Lots of thumbs ups as well.
What a nice place Brighton has become.You must be so proud.
These people are NOT Spanish nationals by the way.
Bad journalism as usual.
[quote][p][bold]ThinkBrighton[/bold] wrote: Roll up, Roll up, for free housing! Nowhere to stay, go back to Spain, it's a lot warmer[/p][/quote]Nice comment.Lots of thumbs ups as well. What a nice place Brighton has become.You must be so proud. These people are NOT Spanish nationals by the way. Bad journalism as usual. hubby

8:55pm Fri 20 Dec 13

whoee! says...

Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from
Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from whoee!

8:58pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Morpheus says...

Where were they sleeping before they came to Brighton?
Where were they sleeping before they came to Brighton? Morpheus

10:16pm Fri 20 Dec 13

VforVendetta says...

whoee! wrote:
Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from
So by your reckoning one can't be black and a Spanish national? Does that also mean one can't be black and a British national??
[quote][p][bold]whoee![/bold] wrote: Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from[/p][/quote]So by your reckoning one can't be black and a Spanish national? Does that also mean one can't be black and a British national?? VforVendetta

11:08pm Fri 20 Dec 13

LeonBIank666 says...

Where's the father in all this?
Where's the father in all this? LeonBIank666

12:42am Sat 21 Dec 13

TrainTrick says...

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

You all sound like a bunch of nursery kids fighting over a new toy.

Grow up! Nobody actually gives a sh!t. I just want to know what I'm getting for Christmas. Fvck everyone else.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. You all sound like a bunch of nursery kids fighting over a new toy. Grow up! Nobody actually gives a sh!t. I just want to know what I'm getting for Christmas. Fvck everyone else. TrainTrick

7:16am Sat 21 Dec 13

hbmlelld says...

They're still people for goodness, where's anyone's compassion? We don't know their life story etc. People can be so bitter. I hope they've managed to find somewhere to stay.
They're still people for goodness, where's anyone's compassion? We don't know their life story etc. People can be so bitter. I hope they've managed to find somewhere to stay. hbmlelld

7:18am Sat 21 Dec 13

brighton bluenose says...

her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?!
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?! brighton bluenose

8:03am Sat 21 Dec 13

I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?!
This is Brighton, green Brighton.

Bring in as many non contributing sponging and ideally criminal types as we can get.

Meanwhile we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?![/p][/quote]This is Brighton, green Brighton. Bring in as many non contributing sponging and ideally criminal types as we can get. Meanwhile we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars!

8:59am Sat 21 Dec 13

brightonbatfink says...

This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend.

Oh and I think iys hilarious
This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious brightonbatfink

9:02am Sat 21 Dec 13

brightonbatfink says...

...oops hit send.....

I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!!
...oops hit send..... I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!! brightonbatfink

9:25am Sat 21 Dec 13

I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! says...

brightonbatfink wrote:
This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend.

Oh and I think iys hilarious
Your grasp of the English language beggars belief - perhaps you should focus on your own education rather than posting incomprehensible nonsense on this site?
[quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious[/p][/quote]Your grasp of the English language beggars belief - perhaps you should focus on your own education rather than posting incomprehensible nonsense on this site? I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars!

9:30am Sat 21 Dec 13

All 9 of me says...

brightonbatfink wrote:
...oops hit send.....

I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!!
it's not that difficult you absolute melt.
[quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: ...oops hit send..... I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!![/p][/quote]it's not that difficult you absolute melt. All 9 of me

10:31am Sat 21 Dec 13

tykemison says...

brightonbatfink wrote:
This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend.

Oh and I think iys hilarious
Absolute garbage, compassion? U am not lacking in compassion, some people always try to grab the moral high ground with such"terminologies"w
hy not throw in the other goodies like:equality and humanity, these "spaniards"or whoever are not meeting a "friend"they have accessed a computer, skyped a cousin and been told the uk is a soft touch! As some sensible people have mentioned, who would travel abroad with children and have no means to support the? No reasonable person, only another bunch of spongers, fed up to the back teeth of our spineless politicians, our countries full, send them"home".
[quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious[/p][/quote]Absolute garbage, compassion? U am not lacking in compassion, some people always try to grab the moral high ground with such"terminologies"w hy not throw in the other goodies like:equality and humanity, these "spaniards"or whoever are not meeting a "friend"they have accessed a computer, skyped a cousin and been told the uk is a soft touch! As some sensible people have mentioned, who would travel abroad with children and have no means to support the? No reasonable person, only another bunch of spongers, fed up to the back teeth of our spineless politicians, our countries full, send them"home". tykemison

11:19am Sat 21 Dec 13

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

All 9 of me wrote:
brightonbatfink wrote:
...oops hit send.....

I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!!
it's not that difficult you absolute melt.
Gaz Scott bright she's not ... How nice to see you posting your acrid comments under another of your posting names. Bless

Laughable waster!
[quote][p][bold]All 9 of me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: ...oops hit send..... I meant to say I think its hilarious people think a family with suitcases could have possibly 'snuck' past border control!!![/p][/quote]it's not that difficult you absolute melt.[/p][/quote]Gaz Scott bright she's not ... How nice to see you posting your acrid comments under another of your posting names. Bless Laughable waster! Somethingsarejustwrong

11:26am Sat 21 Dec 13

Goldenwight says...

brightonbatfink wrote:
This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious
The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely.

Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here.

And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too.
[quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious[/p][/quote]The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely. Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here. And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too. Goldenwight

11:35am Sat 21 Dec 13

brightonbatfink says...

Goldenwight wrote:
brightonbatfink wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious
The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely. Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here. And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too.
Eeerrr. I do use the word potential if you actually read on. Not sure at all what you thpught my tone was or how on earth you manage to read in to my comment what you say about adults is beyond me. I'm not surprised mate...I have worked with the homeless and I live in Brighton with my eyes open.
[quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious[/p][/quote]The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely. Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here. And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too.[/p][/quote]Eeerrr. I do use the word potential if you actually read on. Not sure at all what you thpught my tone was or how on earth you manage to read in to my comment what you say about adults is beyond me. I'm not surprised mate...I have worked with the homeless and I live in Brighton with my eyes open. brightonbatfink

11:37am Sat 21 Dec 13

I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! says...

Goldenwight wrote:
brightonbatfink wrote:
This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious
The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely.

Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here.

And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too.
Sleeping in a tent is not sleeping rough.

It was good enough for our Occupy Brighton colleagues - admittedly there were only 3 of them - so whats the issue now.

We cant create a ghetto without rough sleepers
[quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonbatfink[/bold] wrote: This article is written because the council are concerned about a CHILD sleeping rough on the street of Brighton in the winter. The lack of compassion in these comments are terrifying. If you were in control i very much doubt you would be able to personally tell a child the had to go sleep on the street in the rain because they weren't born here. Saying 'shouldn't have come here in the first place' doesnt change the fact there is a family potentially sleeping rough. I hope they found their friend. Oh and I think iys hilarious[/p][/quote]The article is written because the Council are concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a child sleeping rough. There is no evidence that it actually happened, and subsequent events make it even more unlikely. Children HAVE slept rough in Brighton before, and they will again. I recall a couple of years ago that there was a family of 5 sleeping in a 2 man tent here. And from your tone I presume that you feel it is OK for a grown man or woman with mental health problems to be sleeping on the streets? Because, surprisingly, that happens too.[/p][/quote]Sleeping in a tent is not sleeping rough. It was good enough for our Occupy Brighton colleagues - admittedly there were only 3 of them - so whats the issue now. We cant create a ghetto without rough sleepers I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars!

12:15pm Sat 21 Dec 13

jackthekipper says...

oldest trick in the book that apart from the last bit,she was supposed to say "you look after them then"and walk away leaving kids standing there and the staff in an impossible situation thus ensuring a room is found for the night and inevitably they refuse to leave and the process begins usually ending with a house in whitehawk.
this was the standard way in the eighties and nineties when i was growing up,thats why you had all the single mums housed up whitehawk way,once the coast was clear the boyfriend would generally move in and hey presto,a house for life and carte blanche to all the benefits you could think off and a life of relative ease ensues.
easy peasy,wish idve done it
oldest trick in the book that apart from the last bit,she was supposed to say "you look after them then"and walk away leaving kids standing there and the staff in an impossible situation thus ensuring a room is found for the night and inevitably they refuse to leave and the process begins usually ending with a house in whitehawk. this was the standard way in the eighties and nineties when i was growing up,thats why you had all the single mums housed up whitehawk way,once the coast was clear the boyfriend would generally move in and hey presto,a house for life and carte blanche to all the benefits you could think off and a life of relative ease ensues. easy peasy,wish idve done it jackthekipper

12:23pm Sat 21 Dec 13

KarenT says...

jackthekipper wrote:
oldest trick in the book that apart from the last bit,she was supposed to say "you look after them then"and walk away leaving kids standing there and the staff in an impossible situation thus ensuring a room is found for the night and inevitably they refuse to leave and the process begins usually ending with a house in whitehawk.
this was the standard way in the eighties and nineties when i was growing up,thats why you had all the single mums housed up whitehawk way,once the coast was clear the boyfriend would generally move in and hey presto,a house for life and carte blanche to all the benefits you could think off and a life of relative ease ensues.
easy peasy,wish idve done it
Yeah but who'd want to live in Whitehawk?
[quote][p][bold]jackthekipper[/bold] wrote: oldest trick in the book that apart from the last bit,she was supposed to say "you look after them then"and walk away leaving kids standing there and the staff in an impossible situation thus ensuring a room is found for the night and inevitably they refuse to leave and the process begins usually ending with a house in whitehawk. this was the standard way in the eighties and nineties when i was growing up,thats why you had all the single mums housed up whitehawk way,once the coast was clear the boyfriend would generally move in and hey presto,a house for life and carte blanche to all the benefits you could think off and a life of relative ease ensues. easy peasy,wish idve done it[/p][/quote]Yeah but who'd want to live in Whitehawk? KarenT

1:31pm Sat 21 Dec 13

getThisCoalitionOut says...

Sad to read so many of the comments on here.

This IS meant to be the season of goodwill.

There are a FEW bad people everywhere - even Dyke Road Avenue, ok - so stop putting people down if they come from Whitehawk.
Sad to read so many of the comments on here. This IS meant to be the season of goodwill. There are a FEW bad people everywhere - even Dyke Road Avenue, ok - so stop putting people down if they come from Whitehawk. getThisCoalitionOut

2:04pm Sat 21 Dec 13

hey mongo says...

Go on right move houses in whitehawk going for 250 grand....as for these spanish nationals th ey probably got false passports who knows what a spanish passport looks like...boot them out asap
Go on right move houses in whitehawk going for 250 grand....as for these spanish nationals th ey probably got false passports who knows what a spanish passport looks like...boot them out asap hey mongo

3:47pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Satanslittlehelper says...

They can go back to where they lived if this is the case. Common sense would say to book yourself into a B&B or hotel NOT go to the council giving some sob story about meeting a friend that never showed up. If it was me in the same situation in Spain the last place I would go to would be housing offices. This city is already at bursting point with regard to the housing registar, why should they start rehousing others from another county when there are thos in the city who have been waiting years for a place?
They can go back to where they lived if this is the case. Common sense would say to book yourself into a B&B or hotel NOT go to the council giving some sob story about meeting a friend that never showed up. If it was me in the same situation in Spain the last place I would go to would be housing offices. This city is already at bursting point with regard to the housing registar, why should they start rehousing others from another county when there are thos in the city who have been waiting years for a place? Satanslittlehelper

4:57pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Terry K says...

bob_from_brighton wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Yes. Cheap shot.
When in doubt, cry racism eh!
[quote][p][bold]bob_from_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Yes. Cheap shot.[/p][/quote]When in doubt, cry racism eh! Terry K

6:19pm Sat 21 Dec 13

KarenT says...

Terry K wrote:
bob_from_brighton wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Yes. Cheap shot.
When in doubt, cry racism eh!
Yeah they do it every time, so predictable... Pretty soon they'll be saying that we object to the imminent influx of Bulgarians and Romanians because they all have black hair and have slightly darker skin than Scandinavians... IE "racism"! Most Poles are fair-haired with light complexions and look at how massive and problematic that excessive exodus was!
[quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bob_from_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Yes. Cheap shot.[/p][/quote]When in doubt, cry racism eh![/p][/quote]Yeah they do it every time, so predictable... Pretty soon they'll be saying that we object to the imminent influx of Bulgarians and Romanians because they all have black hair and have slightly darker skin than Scandinavians... IE "racism"! Most Poles are fair-haired with light complexions and look at how massive and problematic that excessive exodus was! KarenT

8:43pm Sat 21 Dec 13

hubby says...

whoee! wrote:
Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from
Hey!
You got 21 thumbs up and I got 22 thumbs down for saying the same thing.
I have lived in Spain for over a decade and these people are definitely NOT Spanish nationals.
[quote][p][bold]whoee![/bold] wrote: Funniest looking Spanish I've ever seen.Are people really that thick to believe this drivel? Boot them back to wherever they came from[/p][/quote]Hey! You got 21 thumbs up and I got 22 thumbs down for saying the same thing. I have lived in Spain for over a decade and these people are definitely NOT Spanish nationals. hubby

10:23pm Sat 21 Dec 13

RandomSpaguy says...

We need European nationality, if we want a shared nationally, let everyone have it when born, but if a country wants to give "free nationalities" to everyone, it shouldn't affect anyone else nor allow those foreingers to enter other european countries (unless accepted by others, aka European nationality).

I'm tired of my goverment giving rights to everyone else and we spanish workers paying the social security (public health system) and "integration" grants they get because of nothing... if our goverment sucks, at least you shouldnt suffer it too, at least I hope you don't have to give your taxes to inmigrants, if they come that's okay, but with their own money.
We need European nationality, if we want a shared nationally, let everyone have it when born, but if a country wants to give "free nationalities" to everyone, it shouldn't affect anyone else nor allow those foreingers to enter other european countries (unless accepted by others, aka European nationality). I'm tired of my goverment giving rights to everyone else and we spanish workers paying the social security (public health system) and "integration" grants they get because of nothing... if our goverment sucks, at least you shouldnt suffer it too, at least I hope you don't have to give your taxes to inmigrants, if they come that's okay, but with their own money. RandomSpaguy

8:46am Sun 22 Dec 13

Roger Francais says...

bob_from_brighton wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Yes. Cheap shot.
Erm... no?
[quote][p][bold]bob_from_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Yes. Cheap shot.[/p][/quote]Erm... no? Roger Francais

10:50pm Sun 22 Dec 13

hubby says...

Spain is quite racist.
When Africans turn up on our shores they are fed and watered and kicked out.
Nobody from outside of Spain gets social security unless they have paid in to the system.
Spanish people get jobs before anybody else.
Any foreign business in Spain has to give Spanish people a percentage of jobs.

Spain tells lies about its jobless numbers so that it gets financial help from the EU.
Virtually everybody I know is working in my area which is Alicante.
Whether it is on the black or not Spain doesn't care.

Britain is the mug punter of Europe.
Spain is quite racist. When Africans turn up on our shores they are fed and watered and kicked out. Nobody from outside of Spain gets social security unless they have paid in to the system. Spanish people get jobs before anybody else. Any foreign business in Spain has to give Spanish people a percentage of jobs. Spain tells lies about its jobless numbers so that it gets financial help from the EU. Virtually everybody I know is working in my area which is Alicante. Whether it is on the black or not Spain doesn't care. Britain is the mug punter of Europe. hubby

11:03pm Sun 22 Dec 13

I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
her professional wrote:
I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?
Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?!
This is Brighton, green Brighton.

Bring in as many non contributing sponging and ideally criminal types as we can get.

Meanwhile we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build
Errrr..... but our Green council DIDN'T house them did they you thick ***!!!
Metaphorically we greens did bluenose,

HJ tells us that this forms part of our strategy, although by the sound of things you are not up to date. In fact having checked a few of your posts you are not only completely out of date you are also completely stupid. HJ says there is a place in the green party for people like you as it makes the leadership (sic) seem brighter.

In the interim we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the knee-jerk bile on here would have been quite so vitriolic if the faces in the picture had been white?[/p][/quote]Whilst I understand your point it is not unreasonable to question how and why this family have travelled all the way from Spain to meet this friend when they clearly have insufficient funds for a night in a hotel whilst the problem is resolved?![/p][/quote]This is Brighton, green Brighton. Bring in as many non contributing sponging and ideally criminal types as we can get. Meanwhile we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build[/p][/quote]Errrr..... but our Green council DIDN'T house them did they you thick ***!!![/p][/quote]Metaphorically we greens did bluenose, HJ tells us that this forms part of our strategy, although by the sound of things you are not up to date. In fact having checked a few of your posts you are not only completely out of date you are also completely stupid. HJ says there is a place in the green party for people like you as it makes the leadership (sic) seem brighter. In the interim we have bus lanes and cycle paths to build. I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars!

11:14am Mon 23 Dec 13

ThinkBrighton says...

mimseycal wrote:
What I find unbelievable inhumane is the fact that our local housing staff feel that they have done their common decency best by letting this non-English speaking family of one adult and three minors walk away and merely informing the police of their existence.

I hope that this family has indeed managed to contact their friend for I will certainly hold the local housing staff concerned morally responsible for any misfortune that befalls this family as a result of being turned away by them.
If this article gives you so much distress, why not invite them round to your place for Christmas.
Nar! thought not!
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: What I find unbelievable inhumane is the fact that our local housing staff feel that they have done their common decency best by letting this non-English speaking family of one adult and three minors walk away and merely informing the police of their existence. I hope that this family has indeed managed to contact their friend for I will certainly hold the local housing staff concerned morally responsible for any misfortune that befalls this family as a result of being turned away by them.[/p][/quote]If this article gives you so much distress, why not invite them round to your place for Christmas. Nar! thought not! ThinkBrighton

9:42pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Kawasaki998 says...

There will be a lot more in the New Year when more of them come into this Country for handouts. They should go home if no money or place to sleep
There will be a lot more in the New Year when more of them come into this Country for handouts. They should go home if no money or place to sleep Kawasaki998

6:16am Sun 29 Dec 13

Nobody of Importance says...

The police will probably have a better chance of finding the Loch Ness Monster on holiday in Brighton than the mythical friend.
The police will probably have a better chance of finding the Loch Ness Monster on holiday in Brighton than the mythical friend. Nobody of Importance

11:25am Fri 3 Jan 14

voiceofthescoombe says...

Right tempoary housing and help if destitute fair one.
Ticket back to where they came from afterwards simples.
Right tempoary housing and help if destitute fair one. Ticket back to where they came from afterwards simples. voiceofthescoombe

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree