Son's tribute to Crawley mum killed in explosion

The Argus: Son's tribute to Crawley mum killed in explosion Son's tribute to Crawley mum killed in explosion

The grieving son of a woman who died in an explosion at her home has paid tribute to his “mum and friend”.

Maria Woodhead was killed on New Year’s Eve after a suspected boiler or gas canister blast in Banks Road, Crawley.

Friends of family have paid tribute to the dog-lover.

Her son Joe said: “Goodbye mum.

I’ll miss you as long as I live.

“You were more than a mother you were a friend as well, to me and everyone in my life.

“Nobody could ever understand or support us like you did.

“No words can describe that afternoon.

You were so undeserving of your fate.

“You were loved by so many and you will live on through your grandson.”

Yesterday her brother Raymond Woodhead posted a picture on Facebook of Maria at a family occasion, with the words: “Goodbye sis I love u. ’till we meet again xxx”.

Friend Marcella Seekings said: “I am the saddest person ever at this moment – just lost one of the bestest friends ever, still cannot believe it.”

Posting a picture of Ms Woodhead, she added: “My bestest friend Maria RIP. What a wonderful day we had, we will miss you so very much!

May you both be ever happy in heaven.”

Catherine Grimsey also paid tribute on Facebook: “She was a wonderful, kind and generous person, such an awful waste – RIP.”

Shirley Hughes added: “When most of us are seeing out the old and hopes for the new, her family and friends will be in shock and on the sad road of grief and their lives will never be the same again.

“My love and thoughts are with her family and friends and tonight please spare a thought for them.”

Emergency crews were called to the house shortly before 12.30pm following reports of an explosion.

Neighbours described “chaotic”

scenes as emergency services rushed to the house before pulling the woman out of the building. Paramedics tried in vain to save her life and she was declared dead at the scene.

Eyewitness Barbara Allen, who lives in Banks Road, said: “We didn’t hear anything and then all of a sudden there were lots of fire engines, police and an ambulance.”

Another neighbour told how the woman’s son, Joe, returned home after staying overnight with his girlfriend to find his mother.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said there were no suspicious circumstances.

She added: “Damage is confined to the interior of the house and no other premises are affected.”


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree