The ArgusPublic to have say over major makeover planned for Queens Park in Brighton (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Public to have say over major makeover planned for Queens Park in Brighton

The Argus: Public to have say over major makeover planned for Queens Park in Brighton Public to have say over major makeover planned for Queens Park in Brighton

Campaigners are working on plans to upgrade a Victorian park and restore it to its former glory.

The Friends of Queens Park group has announced it is exploring plans for major works to be carried out on the Brighton park.

And organisers want to shape improvements to the park around the wishes of residents and park users by launching a consultation process later this year.

Committee members say they have been discussing improvements for the past five years but say now the time is right to take those plans further.


MORE:


A six-week consultation process will begin in June with a view to completing an agreed masterplan for the park by December.

Committee members are hopeful that the overhaul will give the park highly-prized Green Flag status and now want to hear from park users and residents to help shape the future of the park.

Committee member Guy Smyth said the project was very “exciting” for a park “steeped in history”.

He said: “We want to bring it up to the other parks in Brighton and achieve Green Flag standards.

“It is unlikely that the overhaul will be like The Level because Queens Park is listed, which limits the changes that can happen.

“We also want to know how the park can be more welcoming for people who don’t currently use it.

“We are concerned that old people don’t use the park because the cafe is currently located in the centre of the children’s playground.”

Work could start as early as 2017 with organisers exploring the possibility of seeking Heritage Lottery funding or other grants to finance the changes.

Discussions have already explored possible improvements to sports and cafe facilities in the park as well as improvements to the cascade waterfalls and the possible revival of a historical stream that once ran through the park.

Future changes will also focus on the site’s bowling green – which has not been maintained for almost seven years – and an accompanying hut which was badly damaged by fire last year.

Johnny Webb, committee chairman, said: “By the end of 2014 we will have a blueprint for the future of the park.”

To have your say visit friendsofqueensparkbrighton.net.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:03am Sat 1 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Great news. If they can do even half the job done on the level it will be fantastic. First thoughts; I would look to move cafe and toilets to the boundary fence with the pond (green roofs for wildlife) and provide a children's are where the kids can be observed from the cafe. The play area needs a complete overhaul, it is looking tired and will need replacing in the next few years anyway.

I look forward to the consultation. Let's just hope that the cuts do not end this opportunity or park maintenance.
Great news. If they can do even half the job done on the level it will be fantastic. First thoughts; I would look to move cafe and toilets to the boundary fence with the pond (green roofs for wildlife) and provide a children's are where the kids can be observed from the cafe. The play area needs a complete overhaul, it is looking tired and will need replacing in the next few years anyway. I look forward to the consultation. Let's just hope that the cuts do not end this opportunity or park maintenance. HJarrs
  • Score: 4

11:18am Sat 1 Feb 14

BeeJam says...

some discreet lights at night would be good - I walked back through there the other eve about 8pm and could hardly see a thing.
some discreet lights at night would be good - I walked back through there the other eve about 8pm and could hardly see a thing. BeeJam
  • Score: 6

11:23am Sat 1 Feb 14

Ambo Guy says...

Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched! Ambo Guy
  • Score: 0

11:53am Sat 1 Feb 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Don't let the Greens conduct the public consultation.
The lack of governance of the Lewes Road survey rendered it useless as a genuine tool as it meant that 20 percent of those who responded did not live in the city because it was open to anyone.
The council refused to say where the 20 percent had come from or how they had voted which for many public consultation exercises would have been illegal. It meant the survey could be circulated to interest groups, ie cycling or bus company lobby groups or even consultants interested in bidding for work. What is interesting about the lack of governance is that private companies were benefitting from this scheme yet it was an open consultation when it should have been linked to council tax billing systems only so local people were responding. It is our money and our community.
The respondents could have come from Spain for all we know, the council refused to say and refused to say how the 20 per cent voted which was interesting when it was 50 percent for and 50 against. That 20 per cent of non B&H council tax payers were given freedom to decide how our money was spent and how our city was changed.
Once the scheme was installed, the Greens then installed traffic flow monitors in our streets in the October school half term and used the low flow data to claim traffic had been reduced.
So local people, I suggest you seek out residents who have experience of governance and audit procedures and ensure that any consultation has the correct regulation in place or you will end up with the Greens giving you something they want and not what local people want.
The devil is in the detail residents. Be wary of politicians claiming you are getting a say.
Don't let the Greens conduct the public consultation. The lack of governance of the Lewes Road survey rendered it useless as a genuine tool as it meant that 20 percent of those who responded did not live in the city because it was open to anyone. The council refused to say where the 20 percent had come from or how they had voted which for many public consultation exercises would have been illegal. It meant the survey could be circulated to interest groups, ie cycling or bus company lobby groups or even consultants interested in bidding for work. What is interesting about the lack of governance is that private companies were benefitting from this scheme yet it was an open consultation when it should have been linked to council tax billing systems only so local people were responding. It is our money and our community. The respondents could have come from Spain for all we know, the council refused to say and refused to say how the 20 per cent voted which was interesting when it was 50 percent for and 50 against. That 20 per cent of non B&H council tax payers were given freedom to decide how our money was spent and how our city was changed. Once the scheme was installed, the Greens then installed traffic flow monitors in our streets in the October school half term and used the low flow data to claim traffic had been reduced. So local people, I suggest you seek out residents who have experience of governance and audit procedures and ensure that any consultation has the correct regulation in place or you will end up with the Greens giving you something they want and not what local people want. The devil is in the detail residents. Be wary of politicians claiming you are getting a say. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 19

2:09pm Sat 1 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Don't let the Greens conduct the public consultation.
The lack of governance of the Lewes Road survey rendered it useless as a genuine tool as it meant that 20 percent of those who responded did not live in the city because it was open to anyone.
The council refused to say where the 20 percent had come from or how they had voted which for many public consultation exercises would have been illegal. It meant the survey could be circulated to interest groups, ie cycling or bus company lobby groups or even consultants interested in bidding for work. What is interesting about the lack of governance is that private companies were benefitting from this scheme yet it was an open consultation when it should have been linked to council tax billing systems only so local people were responding. It is our money and our community.
The respondents could have come from Spain for all we know, the council refused to say and refused to say how the 20 per cent voted which was interesting when it was 50 percent for and 50 against. That 20 per cent of non B&H council tax payers were given freedom to decide how our money was spent and how our city was changed.
Once the scheme was installed, the Greens then installed traffic flow monitors in our streets in the October school half term and used the low flow data to claim traffic had been reduced.
So local people, I suggest you seek out residents who have experience of governance and audit procedures and ensure that any consultation has the correct regulation in place or you will end up with the Greens giving you something they want and not what local people want.
The devil is in the detail residents. Be wary of politicians claiming you are getting a say.
The Greens don't conduct public consultation, it is the council or in this case the Friends of Queens Park. I note that every consultation you care to mention has been amended following feedback from the public. For example Elm Grove parking scheme was rejected (looks like a pavement parking car has gone through a wall the other day) and the 20 mph roll out is limited to name but two examples. But don't let me stop you going on and on and on.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Don't let the Greens conduct the public consultation. The lack of governance of the Lewes Road survey rendered it useless as a genuine tool as it meant that 20 percent of those who responded did not live in the city because it was open to anyone. The council refused to say where the 20 percent had come from or how they had voted which for many public consultation exercises would have been illegal. It meant the survey could be circulated to interest groups, ie cycling or bus company lobby groups or even consultants interested in bidding for work. What is interesting about the lack of governance is that private companies were benefitting from this scheme yet it was an open consultation when it should have been linked to council tax billing systems only so local people were responding. It is our money and our community. The respondents could have come from Spain for all we know, the council refused to say and refused to say how the 20 per cent voted which was interesting when it was 50 percent for and 50 against. That 20 per cent of non B&H council tax payers were given freedom to decide how our money was spent and how our city was changed. Once the scheme was installed, the Greens then installed traffic flow monitors in our streets in the October school half term and used the low flow data to claim traffic had been reduced. So local people, I suggest you seek out residents who have experience of governance and audit procedures and ensure that any consultation has the correct regulation in place or you will end up with the Greens giving you something they want and not what local people want. The devil is in the detail residents. Be wary of politicians claiming you are getting a say.[/p][/quote]The Greens don't conduct public consultation, it is the council or in this case the Friends of Queens Park. I note that every consultation you care to mention has been amended following feedback from the public. For example Elm Grove parking scheme was rejected (looks like a pavement parking car has gone through a wall the other day) and the 20 mph roll out is limited to name but two examples. But don't let me stop you going on and on and on. HJarrs
  • Score: -11

2:30pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Bill in Hanover says...

Although I am a dog owner I think that dogs should be banned from the whole of the park. it is only a couple of minutes drive or 10 minutes walk to the top of Freshfield Road if owners want to exercise their dogs away from areas where children play.
Although I am a dog owner I think that dogs should be banned from the whole of the park. it is only a couple of minutes drive or 10 minutes walk to the top of Freshfield Road if owners want to exercise their dogs away from areas where children play. Bill in Hanover
  • Score: -6

2:50pm Sat 1 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
Yawn, yawn. I hear the moanerati would like it concreted over to become Queens Park car park. What ever did happen to the UFO centre you all promised? I will be reminding you of this all other rubbish next year.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote]Yawn, yawn. I hear the moanerati would like it concreted over to become Queens Park car park. What ever did happen to the UFO centre you all promised? I will be reminding you of this all other rubbish next year. HJarrs
  • Score: -5

2:51pm Sat 1 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Having been down Queens Park today and learning lessons from the Level, the cafe should have a serving hatch as today rather than having to go inside to order.
Having been down Queens Park today and learning lessons from the Level, the cafe should have a serving hatch as today rather than having to go inside to order. HJarrs
  • Score: -10

2:58pm Sat 1 Feb 14

ARealBessie says...

Queens Parkers... please note that The Level is surrounded by listed buildings, 'protected' by a covenant, and part of the Valley Gardens conservation area (not to mention the By-laws restricting adults, unless accompanied by a minor, from entering the southern side)... when it came to this council none of it mattered a jot. Nor did Health and Safety regulations, proper democratic process, or the 'Equalities Framework' (Greens, along with council planning officers don't appear to even know what that is!) The council had it's concreted, cycling/skateboardin
g vision and simply exploited every last legal loophole in order to drive through their plans. Over £4 MILLION pounds has been spent on The Level redevelopment so far. Yet it continues haemorrhaging more money thanks to bad decision making by council officers who sought to cut corners on important things like er, drainage. Heck, the so called 'restoration' doesn't even meet HLF's own guidelines. As for the 'poor' the Greens claim such concern over, they're not welcome at the new Level Cycling Cafe come Bike Repair shop come Bar (good news for the middle class yummy mummies and cyclists.) The poor have been well and truly priced out. So, good luck Queens Park - if the Greens are still around come consultations, all I can say is be careful what you wish for!
Queens Parkers... please note that The Level is surrounded by listed buildings, 'protected' by a covenant, and part of the Valley Gardens conservation area (not to mention the By-laws restricting adults, unless accompanied by a minor, from entering the southern side)... when it came to this council none of it mattered a jot. Nor did Health and Safety regulations, proper democratic process, or the 'Equalities Framework' (Greens, along with council planning officers don't appear to even know what that is!) The council had it's concreted, cycling/skateboardin g vision and simply exploited every last legal loophole in order to drive through their plans. Over £4 MILLION pounds has been spent on The Level redevelopment so far. Yet it continues haemorrhaging more money thanks to bad decision making by council officers who sought to cut corners on important things like er, drainage. Heck, the so called 'restoration' doesn't even meet HLF's own guidelines. As for the 'poor' the Greens claim such concern over, they're not welcome at the new Level Cycling Cafe come Bike Repair shop come Bar (good news for the middle class yummy mummies and cyclists.) The poor have been well and truly priced out. So, good luck Queens Park - if the Greens are still around come consultations, all I can say is be careful what you wish for! ARealBessie
  • Score: 5

3:04pm Sat 1 Feb 14

The Real Phil says...

Restore the water fountain.
Reinstate the bowling green.
Upgrade the tennis courts.
Shrink the dog toilet area.
resurface the paths.
Job done
Restore the water fountain. Reinstate the bowling green. Upgrade the tennis courts. Shrink the dog toilet area. resurface the paths. Job done The Real Phil
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Sat 1 Feb 14

RottingdeanRant says...

Funded how? As according the greens we can’t afford to loo after the elderly and infirm I assume it is not the council tax that will pay for it.
Funded how? As according the greens we can’t afford to loo after the elderly and infirm I assume it is not the council tax that will pay for it. RottingdeanRant
  • Score: 9

3:33pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Golfer69 says...

So we are cutting social care for special needs children and adults and the elderly, trying to raise council tax by 4.75% have an Administration of NO confidence BUT we can find money for a PARK, I bet if these Councillors had specials needs children themselves things would be different.
So we are cutting social care for special needs children and adults and the elderly, trying to raise council tax by 4.75% have an Administration of NO confidence BUT we can find money for a PARK, I bet if these Councillors had specials needs children themselves things would be different. Golfer69
  • Score: 9

5:59pm Sat 1 Feb 14

shining star says...

It would appeal to more people, and draw more people back to the park if it was not one huge dogs toilet. Take a walk around or through the park after a rainfall in particular, all you smell is dogs poo. It stinks! If there was just a small area for the dogs toilet and the park was left for people to sit on the grass, picnic and enjoy without the fear of sitting in muck or dogs running around them then it may attract people back and not just the doggy poo brigade. Now Wait for the irate replies to this!
It would appeal to more people, and draw more people back to the park if it was not one huge dogs toilet. Take a walk around or through the park after a rainfall in particular, all you smell is dogs poo. It stinks! If there was just a small area for the dogs toilet and the park was left for people to sit on the grass, picnic and enjoy without the fear of sitting in muck or dogs running around them then it may attract people back and not just the doggy poo brigade. Now Wait for the irate replies to this! shining star
  • Score: -3

6:13pm Sat 1 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Golfer69 wrote:
So we are cutting social care for special needs children and adults and the elderly, trying to raise council tax by 4.75% have an Administration of NO confidence BUT we can find money for a PARK, I bet if these Councillors had specials needs children themselves things would be different.
Nice try my Labour Party member friend, but if you actually read the article it is the Friends of Queens Park looking to raise grant funding and good luck to them. As a senior union official, I thought you be fighting the cuts and welcoming community groups raising funds for improvements.
[quote][p][bold]Golfer69[/bold] wrote: So we are cutting social care for special needs children and adults and the elderly, trying to raise council tax by 4.75% have an Administration of NO confidence BUT we can find money for a PARK, I bet if these Councillors had specials needs children themselves things would be different.[/p][/quote]Nice try my Labour Party member friend, but if you actually read the article it is the Friends of Queens Park looking to raise grant funding and good luck to them. As a senior union official, I thought you be fighting the cuts and welcoming community groups raising funds for improvements. HJarrs
  • Score: -1

7:23pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Alison Smith says...

Queens Park Ward has got three Green Councillors. So the Friends of Queens Park might get the support of the Council, even if they get the funding. I'm sure planning permission, building regulations, health & safety etc. will require Council expenditure? Handy if it all gets underway in time to be included in the Green's election literature for 2015.
Queens Park Ward has got three Green Councillors. So the Friends of Queens Park might get the support of the Council, even if they get the funding. I'm sure planning permission, building regulations, health & safety etc. will require Council expenditure? Handy if it all gets underway in time to be included in the Green's election literature for 2015. Alison Smith
  • Score: 4

10:33pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Poem58 says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
(yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community?

Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round.

Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote](yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community? Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round. Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now. Poem58
  • Score: -3

1:39am Sun 2 Feb 14

Ambo Guy says...

Poem58 wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
(yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community?

Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round.

Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.
(Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land.

You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.
[quote][p][bold]Poem58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote](yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community? Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round. Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.[/p][/quote](Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land. You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 6

6:39am Sun 2 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
Poem58 wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
(yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community?

Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round.

Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.
(Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land.

You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.
We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends.

Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poem58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote](yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community? Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round. Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.[/p][/quote](Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land. You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.[/p][/quote]We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends. Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation. HJarrs
  • Score: -6

9:59am Sun 2 Feb 14

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

HJarrs wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Poem58 wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
(yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community?

Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round.

Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.
(Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land.

You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.
We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends.

Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation.
Interesting that the park is on the green tourist route and of interest to Londoners Must be that it's ideal for hosting travelers, the rubbish they dump and of course minority protest groups hell bent on imposing their nonsensical views on others who know better

HJarrs you are laughable
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poem58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote](yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community? Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round. Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.[/p][/quote](Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land. You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.[/p][/quote]We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends. Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation.[/p][/quote]Interesting that the park is on the green tourist route and of interest to Londoners Must be that it's ideal for hosting travelers, the rubbish they dump and of course minority protest groups hell bent on imposing their nonsensical views on others who know better HJarrs you are laughable Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 6

12:22pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Ambo Guy says...

HJarrs wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Poem58 wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
(yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community?

Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round.

Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.
(Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land.

You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.
We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends.

Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation.
It's interesting and rather pathetic to see the different phrases and ways of attacking other peoples points of views. It's gone from 'Argus moaners' to 'Moanerati' but at least you've realised that the ' Labour get Tory' catchphrase was backfiring badly on you so you've given that one up. Did the Greens tell you to stop using it then?

The fact that your posts are consisantly voted down (yes yes I know you say you don't look at that) should tell you that nobody agrees with your views here. It's only your fellow Green Party councillors coming on here to back you up (with sometimes very suspiciously similar posts...hmmm) that offer you any type of support.
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poem58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote](yawns...) You are aware of course that many councils - Tory, Labour... Green even - have, by law an obligation to make arrangements for the travelling community? Don't let this fact won't get in the way of your comedy propaganda crusade though... which failed to raise even a titter this time round. Unfortunately the jokes mainly on you - as people on these forums are probably finding the repetition a bit tedious by now.[/p][/quote](Yawn yourself) you can try and put on the party spin and lies but as you well know the Greens seem to be the only party who actively bend over backwards and encourage the travellers to illegally move onto land. You are quite right though; the joke is on me, in fact it's on every resident of B&H who have been taken for a ride by your beloved Greens. The problem is that we're not laughing. Don't let your ignorance blind you to the fact that most residents were here far longer than the Greens and they will still be here picking up the pieces after you've been sent packing.[/p][/quote]We have had the usual hijacking by the moanerati of an article for their own ends. Personally, I think that the FoQP are doing an excellent job moving forward with consultation to improve the park for all. It is very timely. The park is a fantastic place, but is looking a bit tired and by 2017 will be in desperate need of refurbishment. I look forward to taking part in the consultation.[/p][/quote]It's interesting and rather pathetic to see the different phrases and ways of attacking other peoples points of views. It's gone from 'Argus moaners' to 'Moanerati' but at least you've realised that the ' Labour get Tory' catchphrase was backfiring badly on you so you've given that one up. Did the Greens tell you to stop using it then? The fact that your posts are consisantly voted down (yes yes I know you say you don't look at that) should tell you that nobody agrees with your views here. It's only your fellow Green Party councillors coming on here to back you up (with sometimes very suspiciously similar posts...hmmm) that offer you any type of support. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 7

1:41pm Sun 2 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article.

Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?
Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article. Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal? HJarrs
  • Score: -8

1:54pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

I like the request for the bowling green to be reinstated. Unlikely when the Greens dug up one on the seafront as it no longer wanted to maintain it and announced it was to be replaced with an ice cream hut. Very healthy.
Then of course the fish in Preston Park died during work when they were stuffed into a skip. Then the Green council instructed the gates to be opened at Wild Park to allow a group of travellers into the park for health and safety reasons. The police didn't want this to happen. The weather was bad and the grass was trashed with the number of vehicles moving on and off the area.
In fact there were more days lost last year through travellers taking up residence in Wild Park than in any other year, many of these days were during key breeding seasons of protected species but why would this council care about the environment? It has one of the lowest levels of recycling in the uk and levels have dropped since the Greens were elected and the council has filled down the carbon table.
Parks and environment are not the current councils strong point.
I like the request for the bowling green to be reinstated. Unlikely when the Greens dug up one on the seafront as it no longer wanted to maintain it and announced it was to be replaced with an ice cream hut. Very healthy. Then of course the fish in Preston Park died during work when they were stuffed into a skip. Then the Green council instructed the gates to be opened at Wild Park to allow a group of travellers into the park for health and safety reasons. The police didn't want this to happen. The weather was bad and the grass was trashed with the number of vehicles moving on and off the area. In fact there were more days lost last year through travellers taking up residence in Wild Park than in any other year, many of these days were during key breeding seasons of protected species but why would this council care about the environment? It has one of the lowest levels of recycling in the uk and levels have dropped since the Greens were elected and the council has filled down the carbon table. Parks and environment are not the current councils strong point. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 7

3:41pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Somethingsarejustwrong says...

HJarrs wrote:
Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article.

Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?
Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton?
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article. Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?[/p][/quote]Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton? Somethingsarejustwrong
  • Score: 6

5:17pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Ambo Guy says...

Somethingsarejustwro
ng
wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article.

Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?
Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton?
I'm guessing he doesn't no. Seeing as HJarrs doesn't even seem to be too sure if they actually live down here they might not feel qualified it give any serious comments on Brighton.

I can see that I touched a nerve with HJarrs but sometimes the truth hurts. Many many people feel the same as me.



Vote Green get Green (and what a scary thought that is!)
[quote][p][bold]Somethingsarejustwro ng[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article. Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?[/p][/quote]Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton?[/p][/quote]I'm guessing he doesn't no. Seeing as HJarrs doesn't even seem to be too sure if they actually live down here they might not feel qualified it give any serious comments on Brighton. I can see that I touched a nerve with HJarrs but sometimes the truth hurts. Many many people feel the same as me. Vote Green get Green (and what a scary thought that is!) Ambo Guy
  • Score: 5

6:39pm Sun 2 Feb 14

QueensBark says...

This whole exercise is essentially a re-run of The Level make-over. The Parks Project Team will have drawn up the Masterplan before any consultation is done. The consultation will be conducted in such a way that, or until such time as, the plan is endorsed by a majority of those consulted. Such a "consultation" cannot reflect the needs and opinions of the majority of the Park's users . The PPT will have been advised, no doubt by Land Use Consultants, as to the design most likely to curry favour with the Heritage Lottery Fund (though I’m curious to know where the “built” heritage is that qualifies), and that is what will be enacted - and it WILL include a much larger café (you see it’s the café which pays for the loos in these Masterplans whether one is wanted or not). Watch out current kiosk lessees - take note of the fate of the couple that ran the kiosk on The Level for 30 years, and what’s happening in the Pavilion Gardens! And who knows, you could end up with half a bike repair shop like on The Level!
It should be noted that The Friends of Queens Park was set up by the council, like all the other “Friends ofs”, in order to tick the “local user stakeholder” box. However, FoQP is a particularly poorly constituted local group, as evidenced by the mission statement on its website: “‘Friends of Queen’s Park’ is a group of locally elected volunteers” – in other words FoQP IS the committee, there is no general membership and there are never any General Meetings, only an AGM at which the same dozen or so committee members who wish to be are re-elected each year. There is no forum in which QP users can tell the committee what they want doing. The committee has been in discussion with the council for a couple of years already about getting HLFing, yet no details of these discussions have been made public so far. The committee think and act as if they are the representatives of QP users, but they’re not, at best they represent themselves and their friends. They certainly don’t represent me!
This whole exercise is essentially a re-run of The Level make-over. The Parks Project Team will have drawn up the Masterplan before any consultation is done. The consultation will be conducted in such a way that, or until such time as, the plan is endorsed by a majority of those consulted. Such a "consultation" cannot reflect the needs and opinions of the majority of the Park's users . The PPT will have been advised, no doubt by Land Use Consultants, as to the design most likely to curry favour with the Heritage Lottery Fund (though I’m curious to know where the “built” heritage is that qualifies), and that is what will be enacted - and it WILL include a much larger café (you see it’s the café which pays for the loos in these Masterplans whether one is wanted or not). Watch out current kiosk lessees - take note of the fate of the couple that ran the kiosk on The Level for 30 years, and what’s happening in the Pavilion Gardens! And who knows, you could end up with half a bike repair shop like on The Level! It should be noted that The Friends of Queens Park was set up by the council, like all the other “Friends ofs”, in order to tick the “local user stakeholder” box. However, FoQP is a particularly poorly constituted local group, as evidenced by the mission statement on its website: “‘Friends of Queen’s Park’ is a group of locally elected volunteers” – in other words FoQP IS the committee, there is no general membership and there are never any General Meetings, only an AGM at which the same dozen or so committee members who wish to be are re-elected each year. There is no forum in which QP users can tell the committee what they want doing. The committee has been in discussion with the council for a couple of years already about getting HLFing, yet no details of these discussions have been made public so far. The committee think and act as if they are the representatives of QP users, but they’re not, at best they represent themselves and their friends. They certainly don’t represent me! QueensBark
  • Score: 5

6:55pm Sun 2 Feb 14

QueensBark says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on.

There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched!
These projects have nothing to do with politics – witness The Level project: an idea conceived by Reds, developed by Blues, and Greens had the luck to have it come to fruition on their watch. Every single councillor backed that Parks Project Team Masterplan to the hilt, despite thousands of local residents being against the skatepark move. No councillor of whatever hue will want to be seen to be getting in the way of getting hold of wodges of Lottery lucre.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree. In fact I've heard that the Greens are hoping to concrete over most of the park and build a permanent 'Traveller Welcoming Centre' in the middle. The archway will be demolished to allow for caravans to gain access to the centre and the various areas in the park they can stay on. There will also be Fairtrade, vegan and Fracking seminars hosted by members of the Green Party (maybe you could put your name down for one HJarrs?) and council tax will be raised to 8% to pay for all of this. Caroline Lucas (remember her?) did ask for a new UFO research centre to be built but even the Greens thought that that was too far fetched![/p][/quote]These projects have nothing to do with politics – witness The Level project: an idea conceived by Reds, developed by Blues, and Greens had the luck to have it come to fruition on their watch. Every single councillor backed that Parks Project Team Masterplan to the hilt, despite thousands of local residents being against the skatepark move. No councillor of whatever hue will want to be seen to be getting in the way of getting hold of wodges of Lottery lucre. QueensBark
  • Score: 3

6:57pm Sun 2 Feb 14

QueensBark says...

Bill in Hanover wrote:
Although I am a dog owner I think that dogs should be banned from the whole of the park. it is only a couple of minutes drive or 10 minutes walk to the top of Freshfield Road if owners want to exercise their dogs away from areas where children play.
An impractical and mean-minded suggestion. Dogs are banned from most of the park - where children can play.
[quote][p][bold]Bill in Hanover[/bold] wrote: Although I am a dog owner I think that dogs should be banned from the whole of the park. it is only a couple of minutes drive or 10 minutes walk to the top of Freshfield Road if owners want to exercise their dogs away from areas where children play.[/p][/quote]An impractical and mean-minded suggestion. Dogs are banned from most of the park - where children can play. QueensBark
  • Score: 2

7:54pm Sun 2 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump.
So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump. HJarrs
  • Score: -4

9:01pm Sun 2 Feb 14

I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars! says...

HJarrs wrote:
So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump.
But HJ - We all know the skatepark isn't a success, yet you are claiming it is. Its actually a no go area for the vast majority of Brighton residents.
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump.[/p][/quote]But HJ - We all know the skatepark isn't a success, yet you are claiming it is. Its actually a no go area for the vast majority of Brighton residents. I'm H Jarrs and I can't stand cars!
  • Score: 1

7:12am Mon 3 Feb 14

HJarrs says...

As someone young enough to enjoy the skatepark, you should know it is an incredible success. If you lived in Brighton or even occasionally visited it, you would know that to be true.
As someone young enough to enjoy the skatepark, you should know it is an incredible success. If you lived in Brighton or even occasionally visited it, you would know that to be true. HJarrs
  • Score: -3

10:13am Mon 3 Feb 14

Gribbet says...

Somethingsarejustwro
ng
wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article.

Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?
Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton?
Who or what is "Broghton"?
[quote][p][bold]Somethingsarejustwro ng[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Pot calls kettle black. If you post rubbish you must expect critism Ambo Guy. I note you started this particular thread by posting a load of nonsense completely irrelevant to the article. Have you actually got any serious comment about the Friends of Queens Park's proposal?[/p][/quote]Do you have any serious comments regarding Broghton?[/p][/quote]Who or what is "Broghton"? Gribbet
  • Score: -1

12:52pm Mon 3 Feb 14

QueensBark says...

HJarrs wrote:
So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump.
Re: The Level and the new skatepark, you miss the point entirely, deliberately, maybe, but most probably because you weren’t involved in the discussions and the process that resulted in the skatepark being moved. A hard fact (for some to stomach) is that were it not for the skatepark being moved onto the north end of The Level, there would’ve been little if no opposition to the Level Masterplan. There has never been any pressure from local residents or user groups – not even from the skaters themselves – to move the skatepark from the south “play area” end. It was a decision taken by the council years ago and doggedly stuck to ever since, and for why? Despite FoI requests the council seems to have no record by whom, when or why the decision was ever taken. Local councillor Bill Randall would know because he was in on the project from the very early days, but he’s not letting on either. There certainly wasn’t an orchestrated campaign from the non-existent petanque players of Brighton to give them a dedicated (never to be used) arena. (It seems that a petanque area is an easy box-ticker for something, witness the vast, and unused , petanque area at Preston Park – Queens Park, you too can expect to see a petanquarena soon!)
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: So there you have it FoQP, be prepared for a battle. There is a growing group within this city that are determined not to improve the city. You just have to look at the Level where a small number of people tried to stop the skatepark that is now wildly successful in a park that now has ten times the users it had before. It makes you wonder what sort of city they want. When it comes to Queens Park, if it does not have major investment to benefit all users, then in tim,, it will become a run down dump.[/p][/quote]Re: The Level and the new skatepark, you miss the point entirely, deliberately, maybe, but most probably because you weren’t involved in the discussions and the process that resulted in the skatepark being moved. A hard fact (for some to stomach) is that were it not for the skatepark being moved onto the north end of The Level, there would’ve been little if no opposition to the Level Masterplan. There has never been any pressure from local residents or user groups – not even from the skaters themselves – to move the skatepark from the south “play area” end. It was a decision taken by the council years ago and doggedly stuck to ever since, and for why? Despite FoI requests the council seems to have no record by whom, when or why the decision was ever taken. Local councillor Bill Randall would know because he was in on the project from the very early days, but he’s not letting on either. There certainly wasn’t an orchestrated campaign from the non-existent petanque players of Brighton to give them a dedicated (never to be used) arena. (It seems that a petanque area is an easy box-ticker for something, witness the vast, and unused , petanque area at Preston Park – Queens Park, you too can expect to see a petanquarena soon!) QueensBark
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree