Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Drunk driver banned from the road - but commits the same offence three days later
A man was banned from the roads for drunk-driving – but committed exactly the same offence three days later.
Now Paulius Burlingaitis, 24, of Guildford Road, Horsham, has been jailed for 20 weeks.
Crawley Magistrates’ Court was told Burlingaitis was pulled over by police in Haslett Avenue East, Crawley, on October 19 last year.
Police pulled boozed up Burlingaitis over on this occasion because despite it being dark at 8.10pm he was driving without lights.
On December 18 he appeared at Crawley Magistrates’ Court and admitted a string of motoring offences including drink driving.
He was banned from driving for three years, fined £500 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £30 victim surcharge.
But he had not learnt his lesson because just three days later on December 21 he was found drunk at the wheel in Peglar Way, Crawley, not far from where the original offence occurred.
Now he has appeared in the same court again and admitted drink-driving, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
He has been jailed for 20 weeks and banned from the roads for four years.
He is the first person to be jailed as part of Sussex Police’s drink drive campaign, where they named and shamed people charged with the offence over the Christmas period.
Chief Inspector Natalie Moloney said: "The behaviour of Burlingaitis is exactly the type that we are trying to tackle every day.
"Not only did he drive drunk and without a licence or insurance but despite magistrates banning him the road he was back at it again within days.
"He can spend the next few months in prison thinking about what he has done and hopefully the message will sink in that not only is drink-driving dangerous but it could cost you your liberty."
Comments are closed on this article.