Flames shot into air after workmen drilled through a gas pipe this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to Lindfield High Street shortly after 1.30pm.
It is believed workmen installing a new water pipe in the village drilled straight into the gas main.
Two crews from Haywards Heath were called to help burn away any remaining gas in a controlled fashion.
A number of homes were also evacuated.
Power companies were called to isolate the leak before repairing it.
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue said: “We are expecting to be on site until the early hours.
“We are in communication with the gas company and they are working to fix the leak.
“There was no damage to homes and no injuries.”
- Firefighters tackling major blaze in Brighton
- First step in £35million scheme for Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre
- Guns and machete found in pond by dog
- Pain cured on a limb and a prayer
- Trying to tackle loneliness