A father whose son was killed in a street fight is hopeful the case will return to court for a retrial.
Shaun Saunders told The Argus that “fresh and compelling evidence” from eye witnesses had come to light surrounding an altercation in Rottingdean’s West Street in April 2012 which led to the death of his 19- year-old son Connor.
In November 2012 the 14-year-old boy who fatally punched the promising footballer was cleared of manslaughter after a jury accepted a plea of self-defence.
The family have taken their retrial bid to Parliament, meeting MPs and the head of the Crown Prosecution Service earlier this month, and said they received encouraging news.
Mr Saunders said: “Since the verdict as a family we have not been happy with how the trial went, we felt it was a farce, and a year-and-a-half on we are fighting for a retrial andwewill continue to do that until it happens.
“We have fresh and compelling evidence and on those groundswe will be pressing for a retrial.
“We have been told it will be a long haul, we are not going to get them in court next week or next month or even next year.
“We just want somebody to be held accountable for Connor’s death.”
A foundation set up in memory of the Woodingdean teenager has raised thousands of pounds and handed out life-saving defibrillators to ten football clubs in the region.
Next month will see the launch of a new fundraising campaign to mark what would have been Connor’s 21st birthday with 21 events held over the year, including a 21 hour footballmatch, 21 head shaves and 21 people in a 21-mile walk.
A Las Vegas casino-themed night, to mark how Connor had hoped to spend his 21st birthday, will be held at Peacehaven and Telscombe Football Club on March 22, three days before his birthday.