Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Disabled pensioner trapped in Rustington supermarket for more than an hour
A disabled pensioner has told how she was trapped in the dark in a supermarket toilet.
Sara Wyness, who has severely restricted mobility and uses a mobility scooter which she calls Hot Bug1, was at the Co-op in Rustington, near Littlehampton, when the lights went off.
Mrs Wyness, a widow, said she was unable to reach the exit and sat crying and screaming in the dark.
- Plane diverted to Gatwick after 'abusive' passenger threw prosthetic leg at cabin crew
- Road chase ends with stolen car crashing into Sussex Police vehicle
- Firefighters scale down Eastbourne Pier operation as police appeal for witnesses
- Robbers jailed after holding up cash van
- Drunk foreign students ‘put themselves at risk’
She said it was at least an hour before staff heard her shouts and she was helped out.
Paramedics were then called to check the 76-year-old.
She said: “I am now too scared to go out.
“I was just spending a penny and suddenly it was dark.
“I was so scared. I am elderly and disabled. It was terrifying.
“The lights – they were flashing on and off.”
Weeping as she recounted her ordeal, Mrs Wyness, of East Preston, said: “When the lights went out I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t do anything.
“I banged and banged on the door with my stick. I was so scared – I was shaking.
“You can hear noises but you cannot get out. I was banging on the wall.
“There should have been an alarm.”
A spokeswoman for The Co-operative Food said: “We can |confirm that a customer became unable to exit a toilet cubicle at our store on Broadmark Lane.
“As soon as our staff became aware of the problem they helped to release the customer and |cared for her until the arrival |of a paramedic, who checked |she was okay before she left the store.
“The toilet cubicles and locks were subsequently checked and were found to be fully functioning.
“We also offer a disabled toilet to customers, which has an emergency cord to alert staff immediately of any problems.”
Comments are closed on this article.