A street robber tried to grab the handbag of a woman as she walked past a cemetery.
A man tried to take the victim's bag walking at the southern end of Dyke Road, Brighton, near the St Nicholas Rest Garden in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A passer-by came to her aid and the attacker fled.
The offender, who police say was known to the victim, was white with tanned skin, 5' 9" to 5' 10" with dark hair.
A 36-year-old man from Hove has been arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery and released on bail.
Anyone with information should call 101 quoting serial 122 of 1/3 or email email@example.com.
See the latest crime figures in your area with our street-level crime map
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- I had to move home because of Tourette’s
- Gatwick in two-horse race for expansion after Boris Island ruled out
- Planning proposal to convert offices into 30 homes