The ArgusCare home fire was caused by e-cigarette, investigation reveals (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Care home fire was caused by e-cigarette, investigation reveals

The Argus: Care home fire was caused by e-cigarette, investigation reveals Care home fire was caused by e-cigarette, investigation reveals

A care home blaze was caused by an e-cigarette's battery pack rupturing, firefighters said.

The blaze broke out at the residential care home in Chichester last month.

Today West Sussex Fire and Rescue said an investigation had discovered the cause of the blaze.

It added: “The investigation identified that the e-cigarette's battery pack had ruptured and projected heated battery components across the room igniting nearby bedding.

“Although, thankfully, nobody was injured, the fire caused significant heat and smoke damage to the bedroom.”

Fie investigation officer for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, Mark Hayter, said: “This fire was not an isolated incident; other fire services have reported similar instances including a fatal fire in Derbyshire. The problem appears to be with batteries that are attached via a USB cable and have been overcharged.

"Of course, we don't want to discourage anyone from trying to quit smoking. Smoking is still the biggest cause of fatalities in accidental house fires and we applaud anyone taking steps to cut down or give up. However, we would urge anyone using e-cigarettes to take particular care when charging them.”

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:07pm Wed 12 Mar 14

wippasnapper says...

Needless to say the e-cigarette's battery pack was most probable on charge when it exploded witch means any battery pack could possible ruptured and projected heated battery components across the room igniting a room into a blaze

I.e. think about it your phone or any other item you use could cores a fire.
Needless to say the e-cigarette's battery pack was most probable on charge when it exploded witch means any battery pack could possible ruptured and projected heated battery components across the room igniting a room into a blaze I.e. think about it your phone or any other item you use could cores a fire. wippasnapper
  • Score: 1

10:07pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Roundbill says...

cores?
cores? Roundbill
  • Score: 0

10:09pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Roundbill says...

Oh right, phonetic spelling. Of course - sorry.
Oh right, phonetic spelling. Of course - sorry. Roundbill
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree