Brighton and Hove 20mph zone set to extend out to Hangleton, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Saltdean and Rottingdean (From The Argus)
Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton and Hove 20mph zone set to extend out to Hangleton, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Saltdean and Rottingdean
11:03am Wednesday 12th March 2014 in News
Brighton and Hove City Council has revealed plans for third phase of its controversial 20mph zone, extending the scheme to Hangleton, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Saltdean and Rottingdean.
Residents of the affected area are now set to be consulted later this year about plans to reduce the speed limit in their streets.
Phase two of the scheme, extending the city centre zone to Portslade, Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk and Coldean were approved by the council’s environment committee last week.
Councillors also agreed to reinstate a number of streets which were removed at the environment committee meeting last December. A petition signed by 742 people had called for the re-inclusion of Surrenden Road, Preston Drove and Stanford Avenue.
Lead councillor for transport Ian Davey said: “We are already starting to see the benefits of lower limits in central Brighton and Hove with fewer people being hurt on our roads.
"That means people can gradually feel safer on the streets where they live, making neighbourhoods more accessible and pleasant for everyone.
“When consultation takes place later this year I’d urge people to look at the evidence from the many towns and cities with 20mph and the positive evidence we already have here in Brighton and Hove - and support the proposals.”
The council says early monitoring from phase one in the city centre, started last year, has shown a decrease in traffic speed on 74 per cent of roads. Collisions and casualties are down where the 20mph limit has been implemented.
However, the scheme has proved highly controversial, with pressure group Unchain the Brighton Motorist launched to oppose the scheme.
Sussex Police has also said the scheme must be self-enforcing, saying it will not routinely enforce the limit. In January, a Freedom of Information request revealed the force has not charged anyone for exceeding 20mph.
Depending on the outcome of consultation, phase three could be introduced in 2015.
Comments are closed on this article.