The West Sussex town was deluged with hail and lightning struck the town.
Some people were left without internet, telephone or television connections.
Mary Cochran caught the hail shower on camera.
She said: "I heard a massive clap of thunder that shook my flat.
"It was rather scary.
"Then the hail came for about three minutes."
- Motorcyclist injured while trying to complete ice bucket challenge
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- Brighton and Hove restaurants and bars named best in UK
- Rugby World Cup tickets to go on sale next week