The ArgusJason Kitcat re-elected as Green party leader on Brighton and Hove council (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Jason Kitcat re-elected as Green party leader on Brighton and Hove council

The Argus: Jason Kitcat re-elected as Green party leader on Brighton and Hove council Jason Kitcat re-elected as Green party leader on Brighton and Hove council

Councillor Jason Kitcat has been re-elected as leader of the Green Party on Brighton and Hove City Council.

The official announcement was made today following a ballot of all party members and councillors.

Councillor Ruth Buckley was elected as deputy for external communications and councillor Ian Davey was re-elected as internal convenor.

Because the Green's are a minority administration these councillors will be proposed at the Annual Council meeting as leader and deputies of the council.

Councillor Kitcat, who has faced down a number of leadership challenges this year, was re-elected after gaining the majority of the vote of the councillors with second placed Phelim MacCafferty taking the majority of votes of party members.

Coun Kitcat said: "I'd like to thank all candidates who stood in our annual convenor elections. I'm delighted to have been re-elected with the highest ever support from Green Group members. I am committed to working with all Green colleagues through the challenges our city faces in the coming year."

Coun Phélim MacCafferty added: "I'm pleased and grateful that I have received the support and confidence of the Green Party membership. A huge thank you to my many supporters. Working with the Green Group I look forward to taking our shared vision forward."

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Mon 31 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

But how many of the buffoons voted?

It would be interesting to know just how many (more likely few) of them there are.

We have had our city ruined by these fools and there are strong suspicions that the takeover was engineered by a very small clique.

The Green Party can only win by invading our city with outside supporters from all over the country.
But how many of the buffoons voted? It would be interesting to know just how many (more likely few) of them there are. We have had our city ruined by these fools and there are strong suspicions that the takeover was engineered by a very small clique. The Green Party can only win by invading our city with outside supporters from all over the country. Martha Gunn
  • Score: 35

11:27am Mon 31 Mar 14

Roundbill says...

Woo! Yeah! You go, Mister Kitcat!
I'm sure this public success will make up for any personal disappointments you may be experiencing. Ania must be so proud.
Woo! Yeah! You go, Mister Kitcat! I'm sure this public success will make up for any personal disappointments you may be experiencing. Ania must be so proud. Roundbill
  • Score: 5

11:32am Mon 31 Mar 14

Herbertfarquarson says...

Having carefully thought about the alternatives I think I will be voting for them. The only way I can see the city has been ruined is the result of national government and EU policies. Some areas like Seven Dials have been improved during their tenure. I for one will not forget how keen the other parties were to hand over the poison chalice of running the city during recession and cuts thinking they would get voted back in just by making the greens look bad. For a first time administration they have done well.
Having carefully thought about the alternatives I think I will be voting for them. The only way I can see the city has been ruined is the result of national government and EU policies. Some areas like Seven Dials have been improved during their tenure. I for one will not forget how keen the other parties were to hand over the poison chalice of running the city during recession and cuts thinking they would get voted back in just by making the greens look bad. For a first time administration they have done well. Herbertfarquarson
  • Score: -47

11:46am Mon 31 Mar 14

Take it Personally says...

what?? Was there no one else?
They won't win next year with buffoons like him or that tit Ian Davey
what?? Was there no one else? They won't win next year with buffoons like him or that tit Ian Davey Take it Personally
  • Score: 27

12:03pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

The Green buffons have now released detailed results - but only percentages!
This so called open party have concealed the real numbers.

They are trying to hide just how few of them wreak this misery and chaos on our city.
The Green buffons have now released detailed results - but only percentages! This so called open party have concealed the real numbers. They are trying to hide just how few of them wreak this misery and chaos on our city. Martha Gunn
  • Score: 23

12:07pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Ania Green says...

Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves. Ania Green
  • Score: -38

12:09pm Mon 31 Mar 14

wexler53 says...

Voted in so he can be voted out next election along with the rest of them.

Now, Conservatives, Labour and Independents - don't take anything for granted, don't assume that their great unpopularity means it's a done deal.

Voter apathy got these idiots in last time, so there's work to be done to motivate people to actually get out and vote.

Failure to do this may well see these fools running the city again - You have a huge responsibility to the hard pressed real tax payers of this city to get these nincompoops consigned to the wilderness.

We want well thought out local services efficiently and well delivered. If you want to save the world - go and do it elsewhere. Getting the bins emptied on time and reliably would be a good start...
Voted in so he can be voted out next election along with the rest of them. Now, Conservatives, Labour and Independents - don't take anything for granted, don't assume that their great unpopularity means it's a done deal. Voter apathy got these idiots in last time, so there's work to be done to motivate people to actually get out and vote. Failure to do this may well see these fools running the city again - You have a huge responsibility to the hard pressed real tax payers of this city to get these nincompoops consigned to the wilderness. We want well thought out local services efficiently and well delivered. If you want to save the world - go and do it elsewhere. Getting the bins emptied on time and reliably would be a good start... wexler53
  • Score: 19

12:20pm Mon 31 Mar 14

billy goat-gruff says...

Thankfully the opinions of a handful of vociferous Argus moaners will count for little in the election - how many of you actually do vote?
Thankfully the opinions of a handful of vociferous Argus moaners will count for little in the election - how many of you actually do vote? billy goat-gruff
  • Score: -32

12:24pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Fight_Back says...

Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
Actually I'm very pleased Cllr Kitcat was re-elected. It guarantees a poor result for the Greens in 2015 ! Unfortunately for them the Green Thickeati don't understand this.
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]Actually I'm very pleased Cllr Kitcat was re-elected. It guarantees a poor result for the Greens in 2015 ! Unfortunately for them the Green Thickeati don't understand this. Fight_Back
  • Score: 29

12:29pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Ambo Guy says...

So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this.
So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 19

1:04pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Bob_The_Ferret says...

I didn't vote for him. Or the other one. Or any of them come to think about it.
I didn't vote for him. Or the other one. Or any of them come to think about it. Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 3

1:05pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

So far all attempts to tease out the truth about Green cult leadership election have failed.

This wretched clique really don't want us to know just miniscule they are.

How is it possible that this tiny unrepresentative bunch could have inflicted so much chaos on our city?
So far all attempts to tease out the truth about Green cult leadership election have failed. This wretched clique really don't want us to know just miniscule they are. How is it possible that this tiny unrepresentative bunch could have inflicted so much chaos on our city? Martha Gunn
  • Score: 12

1:14pm Mon 31 Mar 14

roystony says...

Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
Hey Ania, can I get your mobile number?
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]Hey Ania, can I get your mobile number? roystony
  • Score: 4

1:20pm Mon 31 Mar 14

rogerthefish says...

So while i'm at it-the councils £36m Isore baby, has anyone thought of spending a grand and hiring a coach and taking all the feckless Ivory tower Councillors including KITTY cat down to see the £4 million Sealife tower version on Weymouth seafront which is run by Merlin Entertainments (Owners of Chessington, Madame Tussards, London Eye, Lego land, Blackpool tower ETC.) and NOT doing very well before we waste more money. I suggest the Argus does it.
So while i'm at it-the councils £36m Isore baby, has anyone thought of spending a grand and hiring a coach and taking all the feckless Ivory tower Councillors including KITTY cat down to see the £4 million Sealife tower version on Weymouth seafront which is run by Merlin Entertainments (Owners of Chessington, Madame Tussards, London Eye, Lego land, Blackpool tower ETC.) and NOT doing very well before we waste more money. I suggest the Argus does it. rogerthefish
  • Score: 9

1:30pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Number Six says...

It's a bit like being the leader of UKIP. A job no one else wants
It's a bit like being the leader of UKIP. A job no one else wants Number Six
  • Score: 3

1:31pm Mon 31 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
V.poor trolling must try harder.
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]V.poor trolling must try harder. JHunty
  • Score: 6

1:46pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Number Six says...

Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him.
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him. Number Six
  • Score: 12

2:11pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Mark63 says...

I guess Head Moron of the Morons isn't much to shout about, though...
I guess Head Moron of the Morons isn't much to shout about, though... Mark63
  • Score: 14

7:31pm Mon 31 Mar 14

me007 says...

I'm unsure who requires the most medical intervention... The delusional Kit Kat, or the blobs of green matter who voter for him! :-/
I'm unsure who requires the most medical intervention... The delusional Kit Kat, or the blobs of green matter who voter for him! :-/ me007
  • Score: 5

7:45pm Mon 31 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

wexler53 wrote:
Voted in so he can be voted out next election along with the rest of them.

Now, Conservatives, Labour and Independents - don't take anything for granted, don't assume that their great unpopularity means it's a done deal.

Voter apathy got these idiots in last time, so there's work to be done to motivate people to actually get out and vote.

Failure to do this may well see these fools running the city again - You have a huge responsibility to the hard pressed real tax payers of this city to get these nincompoops consigned to the wilderness.

We want well thought out local services efficiently and well delivered. If you want to save the world - go and do it elsewhere. Getting the bins emptied on time and reliably would be a good start...
Well said wexler, :)
[quote][p][bold]wexler53[/bold] wrote: Voted in so he can be voted out next election along with the rest of them. Now, Conservatives, Labour and Independents - don't take anything for granted, don't assume that their great unpopularity means it's a done deal. Voter apathy got these idiots in last time, so there's work to be done to motivate people to actually get out and vote. Failure to do this may well see these fools running the city again - You have a huge responsibility to the hard pressed real tax payers of this city to get these nincompoops consigned to the wilderness. We want well thought out local services efficiently and well delivered. If you want to save the world - go and do it elsewhere. Getting the bins emptied on time and reliably would be a good start...[/p][/quote]Well said wexler, :) ARMANA
  • Score: 5

7:48pm Mon 31 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

Martha Gunn wrote:
So far all attempts to tease out the truth about Green cult leadership election have failed.

This wretched clique really don't want us to know just miniscule they are.

How is it possible that this tiny unrepresentative bunch could have inflicted so much chaos on our city?
If you want the Green Slimes out, ! don't forget to register to vote, DO IT, Please, !!
[quote][p][bold]Martha Gunn[/bold] wrote: So far all attempts to tease out the truth about Green cult leadership election have failed. This wretched clique really don't want us to know just miniscule they are. How is it possible that this tiny unrepresentative bunch could have inflicted so much chaos on our city?[/p][/quote]If you want the Green Slimes out, ! don't forget to register to vote, DO IT, Please, !! ARMANA
  • Score: 3

8:37pm Mon 31 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this.
Nope.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this.[/p][/quote]Nope. HJarrs
  • Score: -2

8:50pm Mon 31 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up!

Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest.

Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment".
Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up! Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest. Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment". HJarrs
  • Score: -8

8:56pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Number Six says...

HJarrs wrote:
Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up!

Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest.

Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment".
OK Hugh, I'll buy it. The majority of Green members voted for Phil McCafferty but Kitcrap gets elected?

Would you or the rest of your fellow pseuderati care to explain the curious turn of logic that makes you think you are the most democratic party?
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up! Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest. Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment".[/p][/quote]OK Hugh, I'll buy it. The majority of Green members voted for Phil McCafferty but Kitcrap gets elected? Would you or the rest of your fellow pseuderati care to explain the curious turn of logic that makes you think you are the most democratic party? Number Six
  • Score: 6

9:08pm Mon 31 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

Number Six wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up!

Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest.

Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment".
OK Hugh, I'll buy it. The majority of Green members voted for Phil McCafferty but Kitcrap gets elected?

Would you or the rest of your fellow pseuderati care to explain the curious turn of logic that makes you think you are the most democratic party?
I understand that leadership vote is the only where the councillors vote carries more weight. Remember, only a few weeks ago, when it was proposed that the leadership election become one member one vote it was described in the Argus as a coup attempt! How low our understanding of and respect for democracy has fallen. The Argus should be campaigning for the other local parties to step up to the Greens level.
[quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Good to see my moanerati friends paying so much interest to Green Party politics. Perhaps they should join up! Personally, I think who leads the Greens is far less important than for other parties. Why? The Greens are the most democratic party by several country miles so the councillors and members get a big say on policy, not just the leadership as Is the case with all the rest. Hey! Did you know that following the recent proposal for free Sunday parking, Brighton Labour, Liberals, Conservatives and UKIP have formed a group to get the Greens out. It's called the Congestion Alliance, tag line "Stuff the City and the Environment".[/p][/quote]OK Hugh, I'll buy it. The majority of Green members voted for Phil McCafferty but Kitcrap gets elected? Would you or the rest of your fellow pseuderati care to explain the curious turn of logic that makes you think you are the most democratic party?[/p][/quote]I understand that leadership vote is the only where the councillors vote carries more weight. Remember, only a few weeks ago, when it was proposed that the leadership election become one member one vote it was described in the Argus as a coup attempt! How low our understanding of and respect for democracy has fallen. The Argus should be campaigning for the other local parties to step up to the Greens level. HJarrs
  • Score: -4

9:34pm Mon 31 Mar 14

nathanpcatt says...

Number Six wrote:
Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him.
Number Six wrote: He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him.

All Green Party members were invited to vote so yes, he was elected by the membership. Jason was deemed to be the best person for the job which is what elections are all about, people voting for their preferred choice.
Jason and Ian are very well respected by candidates from all parties within the Council. It's easy to slam them if you're angry about this result but you could instead use your energy for political campaigning then perhaps you might see your vision of a different administration realised.
I think the Greens have done an amazing job with Brighton and Hove and I hope they can continue to.
[quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him.[/p][/quote][quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: He wasn't elected by the membership though, was he. Just the pseuderati on the council. I wonder how Kitcrap feels knowing that the members didn't want him.[/p][/quote] All Green Party members were invited to vote so yes, he was elected by the membership. Jason was deemed to be the best person for the job which is what elections are all about, people voting for their preferred choice. Jason and Ian are very well respected by candidates from all parties within the Council. It's easy to slam them if you're angry about this result but you could instead use your energy for political campaigning then perhaps you might see your vision of a different administration realised. I think the Greens have done an amazing job with Brighton and Hove and I hope they can continue to. nathanpcatt
  • Score: -8

10:07pm Mon 31 Mar 14

mimseycal says...

Ah ... yes ... all party members were invited to vote and ... it seems that the majority of party members voted for Phil ... which admittedly doesn't say much about their discernment .... then again, they are Green Party members in Brighton so I dare say their level of discernment is a moot point.
It further seems that it was the majority of duly elected Green Councillors who voted for Jason and that Councillor votes weigh more then mere party members ...

So, where does that leave us? How much weightier are Councillors votes - twice as weighty, three times as weighty? Do duly elected Councillors in the Green party carry a veto?

As for that fantastic job the Greens have done in Brighton ... Well, I suppose it is still standing so that is something ....
Ah ... yes ... all party members were invited to vote and ... it seems that the majority of party members voted for Phil ... which admittedly doesn't say much about their discernment .... then again, they are Green Party members in Brighton so I dare say their level of discernment is a moot point. It further seems that it was the majority of duly elected Green Councillors who voted for Jason and that Councillor votes weigh more then mere party members ... So, where does that leave us? How much weightier are Councillors votes - twice as weighty, three times as weighty? Do duly elected Councillors in the Green party carry a veto? As for that fantastic job the Greens have done in Brighton ... Well, I suppose it is still standing so that is something .... mimseycal
  • Score: 4

10:14pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

When will Jason address the fact that the council is failing a number of key performance targets, including recycling, pollution, council tax collections rates, carbon table, employment of apprentices.
Come on council you cannot even deliver core services. It's rubbish.
When will Jason address the fact that the council is failing a number of key performance targets, including recycling, pollution, council tax collections rates, carbon table, employment of apprentices. Come on council you cannot even deliver core services. It's rubbish. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 5

10:51pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Ambo Guy says...

HJarrs wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this.
Nope.
Is that because you don't know or you won't tell?
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: So I was wondering if HJarrs or Eugeniua could come on and tell us all exactly how many people voted in this.[/p][/quote]Nope.[/p][/quote]Is that because you don't know or you won't tell? Ambo Guy
  • Score: 2

11:07pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

The Mystery remains.
The Greens have not released the numbers who voted.
They are hiding the truth.

The suspicion remains that we are being ruined by a tiny cult with no roots in our city.
Just how many Greens voted for Kitcat?
The Mystery remains. The Greens have not released the numbers who voted. They are hiding the truth. The suspicion remains that we are being ruined by a tiny cult with no roots in our city. Just how many Greens voted for Kitcat? Martha Gunn
  • Score: 4

1:11am Tue 1 Apr 14

Ania Green says...

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story.

There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all!

Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story. There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all! Why is this so hard to understand for so many people? Ania Green
  • Score: -4

2:28am Tue 1 Apr 14

mimseycal says...

Ania Green wrote:
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story.

There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all!

Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?
No Ania m'dear ... the fact is that Phil got the most votes from the average membership and Jason got the most votes from the duly elected Greens. So unless your party membership, please please please, is less then the total number of duly elected councillors there is no way that Jason got more votes ...

So ... either you are admitting that your run of the mill party membership with voting rights has dropped below the current number of duly elected Green Councillors or the weight of votes by duly elected Green Councillors is significantly weightier then the run of the mill membership vote.

That being the case ... what is the weight of councillor votes? Two, three ten times the value of an ordinary member?
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story. There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all! Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?[/p][/quote]No Ania m'dear ... the fact is that Phil got the most votes from the average membership and Jason got the most votes from the duly elected Greens. So unless your party membership, please please please, is less then the total number of duly elected councillors there is no way that Jason got more votes ... So ... either you are admitting that your run of the mill party membership with voting rights has dropped below the current number of duly elected Green Councillors or the weight of votes by duly elected Green Councillors is significantly weightier then the run of the mill membership vote. That being the case ... what is the weight of councillor votes? Two, three ten times the value of an ordinary member? mimseycal
  • Score: 4

6:30am Tue 1 Apr 14

JHunty says...

Ania Green wrote:
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story.

There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all!

Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?
Trying harder but you're still a bit of a sad sock puppet. Perhaps you should try walking away from the computer and leaving your multiple personalities behind for a while. Yes Im sure you'll miss the feeling of power you get when people reply to your "personas" but you are a bit of a one trick pony.
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story. There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all! Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?[/p][/quote]Trying harder but you're still a bit of a sad sock puppet. Perhaps you should try walking away from the computer and leaving your multiple personalities behind for a while. Yes Im sure you'll miss the feeling of power you get when people reply to your "personas" but you are a bit of a one trick pony. JHunty
  • Score: 0

9:29am Tue 1 Apr 14

Number Six says...

Ania Green wrote:
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story.

There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all!

Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?
Oh we understand perfectly but then we're not Greens so understanding is easier for us. Clearly you are not understanding the point of democracy. Allow me to illuminate. For example, when we have a general election every returning officer announces the candidates and the number of votes they won. There is no returning office that just announces the winner, refuses to give the votes cast and then with supreme arrogance says "They won, that's it, get over it, you plebs don't need to know anything else" If that system works for general elections why are you so afraid of it?
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the number of people who voted. The fact is that Jason got the most votes , end of story. There would be no point at all publishing the number of voters as it won't change the result at all! Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?[/p][/quote]Oh we understand perfectly but then we're not Greens so understanding is easier for us. Clearly you are not understanding the point of democracy. Allow me to illuminate. For example, when we have a general election every returning officer announces the candidates and the number of votes they won. There is no returning office that just announces the winner, refuses to give the votes cast and then with supreme arrogance says "They won, that's it, get over it, you plebs don't need to know anything else" If that system works for general elections why are you so afraid of it? Number Six
  • Score: 3

9:51am Tue 1 Apr 14

salty_pete says...

The voting arrangements of the Greens sounds very much like the situation in Animal Farm, where all animals are equal but pigs are more equal than others.
Apologies to G. Orwell.
The voting arrangements of the Greens sounds very much like the situation in Animal Farm, where all animals are equal but pigs are more equal than others. Apologies to G. Orwell. salty_pete
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Tue 1 Apr 14

mimseycal says...

salty_pete wrote:
The voting arrangements of the Greens sounds very much like the situation in Animal Farm, where all animals are equal but pigs are more equal than others.
Apologies to G. Orwell.
Actually it is "All animals are equal but some are more equal then others" but I agree with the sentiment expressed ... apart from the apology to G.Orwell ... the man got it right after all!
[quote][p][bold]salty_pete[/bold] wrote: The voting arrangements of the Greens sounds very much like the situation in Animal Farm, where all animals are equal but pigs are more equal than others. Apologies to G. Orwell.[/p][/quote]Actually it is "All animals are equal but some are more equal then others" but I agree with the sentiment expressed ... apart from the apology to G.Orwell ... the man got it right after all! mimseycal
  • Score: 1

1:40pm Tue 1 Apr 14

Ambo Guy says...

This is great news! As someone has already pointed out this moron being in charge just makes the Greens even more likely to get booted out next year at the election.
This is great news! As someone has already pointed out this moron being in charge just makes the Greens even more likely to get booted out next year at the election. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 1

8:38pm Tue 1 Apr 14

Idontbelieveit1948 says...

Ania Green wrote:
Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple.

If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.
If he's the best you've got you don't have very much do you.

If you really are as democratic as you claim and you actually give members votes the same weight as councillors then, on the figures quoted in the Argus, roughly 5 non councillors voted.

So, either you really are a minority irrelevance soon destined to disappear up your own backside or you are not as democratic as you claim.

Either way you are economical with the truth at best and lying through yoyr teeth at worst.
[quote][p][bold]Ania Green[/bold] wrote: Jason was re-elected as he is the best person for the job. It's that simple. If some of the usual Argus moaneati don't like that fact then maybe they should go into politics themselves.[/p][/quote]If he's the best you've got you don't have very much do you. If you really are as democratic as you claim and you actually give members votes the same weight as councillors then, on the figures quoted in the Argus, roughly 5 non councillors voted. So, either you really are a minority irrelevance soon destined to disappear up your own backside or you are not as democratic as you claim. Either way you are economical with the truth at best and lying through yoyr teeth at worst. Idontbelieveit1948
  • Score: 1

6:55am Wed 2 Apr 14

dickpagebrighton says...

Can people please stop posting abuse ? Politics is more important than that.

As i understand it the Greens re-elect their council convenors every year, with an "electoral college" giving 50% voting weight to elected councillors and indicidual party members - the reason for that is that this election is for the convenors of the councillors, not the local Green Party - you can call that "some being more equal than others", or "fair" ? !

As for the Greens delivering core services that Maxwell's Ghost talks about - one important part of what the council does - if we each vote in May 2015 we will have to weigh up then which party will do the best job; it may be that the difficult period for refuse & recycling is now over, we shall see.
Can people please stop posting abuse ? Politics is more important than that. As i understand it the Greens re-elect their council convenors every year, with an "electoral college" giving 50% voting weight to elected councillors and indicidual party members - the reason for that is that this election is for the convenors of the councillors, not the local Green Party - you can call that "some being more equal than others", or "fair" ? ! As for the Greens delivering core services that Maxwell's Ghost talks about - one important part of what the council does - if we each vote in May 2015 we will have to weigh up then which party will do the best job; it may be that the difficult period for refuse & recycling is now over, we shall see. dickpagebrighton
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree